Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dear Prudence  (Read 3350 times)

Offline mib2099

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Dear Prudence
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:15 am »
I think she really dropped the ball on this one.  But she does raise some interesting questions.   Like what about play dates?  And when she says kids raised nude get shy around puberty, has that been the case for people here?  I'm also curios about family's where one parent was a nudist and the other a textile.  Was there a lot of tension?
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2014/11/dear_prudence_my_nudist_wife_wants_our_children_to_be_nudists_too.html

Offline Stephen

• Retired Staff
  • Shouting it out loud
  • δ³Σx²
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Dear Prudence
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:39:39 am »
Yeah.... she claims to have "experience" after visiting a colony, but obviously that hasn't taught her much. She talked as if the kids in the nudist colonies didn't have friends (there were obviously other kids there). Being the rest of the guy's family puts on clothes when needed, I'm sure they could do the same for guests. Some nudist families living in textile communities would either dress up when others come over, or they would have friends that understand.

The puberty issue is also far-fetched, as that is not the case for someone who grow up their entire life as a nudist, as we are more aware of our body and its processes, and have nothing to hide. This was a very ignorant assumption made on her end without any factual basis.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:29 am »
She puts the prude in prudence. I can't understand why people submit to these columns, showing their car crash to all the readers and getting a rubberneckers opinion on it.  Is it really going to go down well, I reckon it's the end of their relationship, airing petty grievances like that. They could of solved this by themselves without involving this snobby lady.   
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline biobruin89

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:34:05 am »
Wow, this column is dumb. The only bit of sense in the entire thing is when she says, "I think a clothing-optional option is only fair for your children, as long as it is truly an option". The rest is all contradictory bullshit. Not to mention the fat shaming: "I came to the conclusion that no one should take off their clothes, ever. (I also learned that gravity is a force that all must reckon with.)"

Ugh.

Westernyelp

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »
This unfortunately the prevailing dumb 'advice' that comes from these conservative types. it's a pity, but something we have to counter with the advice we all give to people

Offline Stephen

• Retired Staff
  • Shouting it out loud
  • δ³Σx²
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
that comes from these conservative types
Conservative has a couple meanings, but the common usage and more accepted form is in the political sense. When using such a word with strong political affiliations it is better to be careful with wording, although most people are labour party supporters here, there are still many conservatives and liberal party affiliates at iyno. 
2. Please try to refrain from religious or political debates on this forum.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:31:41 pm »
She puts the prude in prudence.
Well, she did sign it "Prudie".
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline JOE

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am Joe. Joe is me.
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:35:59 pm »
Well "Prudence", I disagree with you in so many ways. But it is her personal opinion that people should be clothed, as most of us believe people should be nude. I do like the fact that she says being nude should be optional. You shouldn't have to force your beliefs on anyone and if you family doesn't want to be nude, then hell let them be clothed.

Definitely agree with Daniel. No sense in seeking help from a column such as this one. You pretty much know what the answer will be from the moment you press send.

Offline Mark

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am nerd, hear me mumble.
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:21:36 am »
The fact that she keeps saying 'colony' as opposed to 'club' or 'resort' is a bit of a giveaway to be frank. I'd wager she spent about ten minutes there before throwing her hands up and stalking off going 'no, I can't do it. It's dirty. DIRTY!'
Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed.

Offline NaturalInNY

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:37:12 am »
After spending the day with a couple hundred naked people, I came to the conclusion that no one should take off their clothes, ever. (I also learned that gravity is a force that all must reckon with.)

Oh piss off.

I hate when people say this. Sorry the sight of human bodies in their natural state so offends you so that you'd have no one enjoy being in that state with others. Truly, your priorities are in order. :rolleyes: