Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Webcomics? Yes! Like comic books, but on the web! :P  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Sik

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Webcomics? Yes! Like comic books, but on the web! :P
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »
Replying to the "What are you reading?" topic, I realised my answer was not complete.  Indeed, along with the material books you find at the store, I'm also reading (or done reading) quite a number of webcomics! :P  Following a webcomic from start to end is fun, often you can really see the evolution of the artist and his work getting better and better.  For some comics, the quality of the first pages are even quite unappealing, but most of them evolve in style and get better with every other page! ^^

Let's see... Here is a selection.
by Sarah Ellerton:
  • Inverloch: The story of Inverloch centers around a young man named Acheron, from a horned wolf-like race called the da'kor. After a chance encounter with an elf, he finds himself setting out on a seemingly innocent mission
  • that of trying to locate Kayn'dar, another elf who has been missing for the past twelve years. This comic has a complete and finished story! ^^
  • Phoenix Requiem: The Phoenix Requiem is a Victorian-inspired supernatural fantasy story about faith, love, death, and the things we believe in. (...)
  • Dreamless (Illustrated by Sarah Ellerton. Written by Bobby Crosby): this promising webcomic is still at its very beginning, updating once a week.  Worth a look! ^^

Other comics "en vrac" (as we say in French :P):
  • Ctrl Alt Del: A must read for every gamer and geek out there! (as well as others ;P)  (a good example of a comic going from MS Paint crap to a stylish design! ^^)
  • Earthsong, An Online Graphic Novel by Crystal Yates.
  • Two Kinds by Tom Fischbach. A clueless hero, a mischievous tigress, an angsty warrior, and a gender-confused wolf. Can they survive each other?

• PHD Comics: Life (or the lack thereof) in Academia by Jorge Cham
  • Jack is an ADULT webcomic by David Hopkins.   It is set in a world populated by anthropomorphic animals and focuses on judgment and afterlife, which function according to Christian beliefs, and is noted for its depiction of "rape, drug use, swearing, graphic sexual acts, incest, cannibalism, nudity, savage violence, and images of Hell." And therefore not appropriate for this forum. Link Removed
More to come, but I'm in a hurry heh.

(note that most of the little abstracts I have up here are shameless copy-pastes from the official websites among other things ;) )

Do you read webcomics? Some links you might want to share? ^^
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:00:37 pm by Toddo »

Offline Sik

• Nude without Towel
Re: Webcomics? Yes! Like comic books, but on the web! :P
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:58 am »
Aaaaaawwwwwww all my pretty little clickie links are goooone *sob*
No worry, I'll put them back online ;)

Glad you like CAD, I have read it all and won't stop any time soon I think ^^

In the meantime, here are some more!

This one is mostly right on topic I'd say:
  • The Meek, by D Helmer, follows the jungle adventures of a your girl that can't seem to be bothered by clothes nor society in general.  There aren't many pages yet, but the art is awesome (imho) and and the story looks like fun and promising! ;)

The two following are especially recommended for those familiars with those time-sink MMORPG's out there :D
  • The Noob by Gianna Masetti.  Follow the adventures of a clueless n00b discovering the virtual world of "ClicheQuest"... Levelling, PK, loots, guilds, whiners, nerfs and server crashes await you! :P  Quite simple drawing but funny situations that will remind you of all the mmorpg's you ever played, I'm sure of it ;)
  • LFG aka "Looking For Group" by "Sohmer" and "Lar".  LFG tells the story of dogooder elf Cale'Anon, "The young and bold adventurer seeking to become the greatest hero History has ever known"... The first page should sum it up quite nicely for you, go for it! ^^  The world in LFG is very "World of Warcrafty" if I may say so, the drawing is really great (and improving), the humour is priceless, and the story-line is quite captivating! ;)

Here come a few more:
  • Questionable Content by Jeph Jacques, (copy past power! -->) Questionable Content (or "QC," as it is frequently abbreviated) is an online comic strip that is ostensibly about romance, indie rock, little robots, and the problems people have. For a more detailed explanation (including spoilers, beware) why not check out the WikiPedia page?.  "Slice-of-life" webcomic with witty humor, his art has improved A LOT from his first pages trough nowadays!
  • Wally and Osborne, formerly titled "On the Rocks", is a humor webcomic by Tyler Martin.  It has been a long time since it updated, but there's already a lot of fun strips to discover! ;) He adds lots of informative ecological texts in his news too, very interesting.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:16:08 am by Sik »

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:00 pm »
I like a comic called “Ménage à 3.” It seems to have a pretty healthy view of sexuality. http://www.menagea3.net/

Thanks for sharing, it's great. And it feels weird because the action happens in Montreal and I get all the geographical references :)

Edit: It's also cute to see an anglo try to do a French character :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:23:22 pm by Dan »
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Pitti

• Local Moderator
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:59:44 pm »
Thanks Tina, it's a great comic.

I like the Loxie and Zoot comics.
http://www.nudismlife.com/index.php?/category/379
"If war is the answer, then we ask the wrong questions."
(Wenn Krieg die Antwort ist, dann stellen wir die falschen Fragen)

Susan G. Komen

Offline Ash196

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:30 am »
I'm glad to see Questionable Content already accounted for! I have been a regular reader of that webcomic for years now. I love it, and have gotten quite fond of all the characters. Other webcomics I occasionally catch up with are XKCD and The Bare Pit, which I only recently found out about and started reading.

Offline gamez

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:31 pm »
Cyanide and Happiness - http://www.explosm.net/comics

I think it's probably the only webcomic that can make me at least giggle with every single update.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »
I would have to add these two:

Freefall - A space squid, relatively naive robot, and and anthropomorphic talking dog go on sci-fi related adventures.  It is, however, much better than it sounds.

Darths and Droids - What if the Star Wars movies never existed, and were just a scenario in a D&D style roleplaying game?  The answer is that it would be hilarious.  :)

Well, that's all of the seemingly shameless webcomic advertising for the day.  ;) 

Offline Steggsaurus

• Andy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:01 pm »
I'm a big fan of John Allinson's Scary Go Round and his new one Bad Machinery.

http://scarygoround.com/index.php

I think you can read it all archived if you have a couple of weeks to waste...

barenw

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:58:26 am »
I'm a big fan of webcomics, too.  Since discovering how awesome they can be, my list of comics I read regularly (or follow, in the case of comics with continuing storylines) has picked up and dropped content.  My current list is below, including brief descriptions (of those not already mentioned by someone else in the thread, anyway).

• Ctrl Alt Del
  • Looking for Group
  • Megatokyo
Set in a fictional version of Tokyo, Megatokyo portrays the adventures of Piro, a young fan of anime and manga, and his friend Largo, an American video game enthusiast.  Piro's adventures tend to be mired in complicated relationships, while Largo's tend toward the more fantastical. 
  • Order of the Stick
A comedic webcomic that celebrates and satirizes tabletop role-playing games and medieval fantasy through the ongoing tale of the eponymous fellowship of heroes.  Taking place in a magical world that loosely operates by the rules of 3.5 edition Dungeons and Dragons, the comic follows the sometimes farcical exploits of six flawed adventurers as they strive to save the world from an evil lich.
  • Erfworld
Erfworld follows a graphic novel format, with a new page added with each update.  The setting is Erfworld, a fantasy world that adheres to the rules of a turn-based strategy wargame.  The narrative focuses on a complex story about warring factions within this world, but most installments also contain humor about strategy-fantasy video games, role-playing games, and references to history or popular culture.  There are frequent puns and side-gags.
  • Goblins
Goblins - Life through Their Eyes is a Dungeons & Dragons webcomic written and illustrated by Tarol "Thunt" Hunt.  It is set in a humorously stereotypical fantasy setting, and follows the lives of a party of goblin adventurers who started as monsters and declared themselves player characters.  The tagline for the comic - "Life through their eyes" - reflects the predominant theme of the comic:  telling a heroic tale of creatures normally viewed only as evil and weak.

Offline tolkienfan86

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 03:20:08 am »
I read a lot xkcd. I used to read Megatokyo online but fell way behind so know I read the books instead. :) I've also read a little of Wasted Talent.

PhD comics is good too.

Karla

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:18:53 am »
  • PHD Comics: Life (or the lack thereof) in Academia by Jorge Cham
I used to read that. I also used to read Dilbert but have dropped out of the routine. I read PHD comics from start to finish over the course of a week or two when at work. I was doing a post-doc at a large university in England at the time and all the PhD students I knew were straight out of that comic! They would go on scavenging hunts for free food. Someone would burst in and say that there's a free trolley left over from the conference in some corridor and they'd go off like some hungry pack to round it up!

Then the summer department barbeque came along and it turned out that all PhD students had been banned from it. Apparently one year they had descended on the BBQ and eaten the majority of the food during the principal's speech before all the other academics could get stuck in!

I have to say that this whole culture of the PhD student as a hunter-gatherer was new to me because I did my PhD at a very small university and most of the week would hide myself away in some dump of a town a few miles out (which I notice is now on the news because of a murder)

Karla

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:42 am »
Darths and Droids - What if the Star Wars movies never existed, and were just a scenario in a D&D style roleplaying game?  The answer is that it would be hilarious.  :)

Just clicked on that link! Very funny!

Reminds me of a couple of films about RPG'ers playing D&D from the perspective of their characters!

Offline hjmartin

• Nude without Towel
  • No costume. No disguise. Just me.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:23 am »
I love Loxie and Zoot (aka The Bare Pit).  I wish there were more like it.
-Haley

Karla

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:13 am »

I've been reading these myself recently. Very warm and gentle humour but rather preachy. Fantastic artwork. I was wondering what people specifically liked about them and whether the fact that it was a naturist cartoon was the main appeal. I can't deny though that it paints quite a nice idyllic lifestyle.

Offline hjmartin

• Nude without Towel
  • No costume. No disguise. Just me.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:13:25 am »

I've been reading these myself recently. Very warm and gentle humour but rather preachy. Fantastic artwork. I was wondering what people specifically liked about them and whether the fact that it was a naturist cartoon was the main appeal. I can't deny though that it paints quite a nice idyllic lifestyle.

It might be idyllic, but I think it is the kind of life most naturists pine for.

I've never really been into comic books (or graphic novels), and it was the naturist angle that attracted me to this one, but once I read a couple of them I was hooked.  Now I get a little anxious whenever there's a delay in posting the next episode.
-Haley