Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: RPG Tabletop Games  (Read 34667 times)

Offline William F.

• Nude in my room, looking for other places.
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
RPG Tabletop Games
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »
Ok, so I know most people know about D&D, but does anyone out there have other RPG Tabletops that they like to play?
I personally like World of Darkness, the mechanics are simple, the character sheets are quick, and the story doesn't run the risk of gettign buried in stats like others do. The focus is more on actual role-playing and telling a story, then it is about experience and leveling up.
It's not a sin to be who we truly are.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Re: RPG Tabletop Games
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:22 am »
I played OWoD (Old WoD), some Aberrant (when White Wolf had the rules for it), D&D up to 3.5, and Pathfinder, hmmm think that is it for me

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:34:12 am »
Ok, so I know most people know about D&D, but does anyone out there have other RPG Tabletops that they like to play?
I personally like World of Darkness, the mechanics are simple, the character sheets are quick, and the story doesn't run the risk of gettign buried in stats like others do. The focus is more on actual role-playing and telling a story, then it is about experience and leveling up.

Old or New Wod?
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline William F.

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:46 am »

Old or New Wod?

New, a friend of mine introduced it to me, when only him, his sister and I showed up for a weekly D&D a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:13 am »
New, a friend of mine introduced it to me, when only him, his sister and I showed up for a weekly D&D a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

I'm really not a fan of the new one. It's very shallow compared to the old one. Doesn't have much of a soul.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »
I agree Dan, just never got excited about new, maybe because they hadn't built everything up like old had been?  I dunno, just never got into like I did with old WoD

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »
I like savage worlds. Its simple to learn and you can aply the core mechanic to any story setting so you can so sci fi, fantasy or whatever you want.
what's to say?

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »
I agree Dan, just never got excited about new, maybe because they hadn't built everything up like old had been?  I dunno, just never got into like I did with old WoD

There are small improvements and large fuckups.

My favourite is the new attributes and I would carry that in any OWoD game.

Strength (Physical Power)
Dexterity (Physical Finesse)
Stamina (Physical Resistance)

Presence (Social Power)
Manipulation (Social Finesse)
Composure (Social Resistance)

Intelligence (Mental Power)
Wits (Mental Finesse)
Resolve (Mental Resistance)

Much more regular and appearance as an attribute just doesn't make sense anyway. You can't train so your face to be better looking. It's better off as a merit or flaw.

Speaking of which, flaws are better handled. Instead of giving you a number of point based on how much it might or might not hinder you (which is very hard to know in advance and players often pick things that aren't even problems for them anyway), you gain nothing for picking flaws but get extra XP if they actual prevented you from doing something you wanted during a game.

The idea of having a single core rulebook and stop reprinting the same damned rules for every games was golden too.

So system-wise, they made a few good moves (and a few terrible onea, like the shotgun granny problem).

But setting-wise, ugh! Just shallow and uninteresting.

They claim they created it to learn from their mistakes and do new games without them but I'd like very much to know what they consider mistakes because everything that made the games fun is gone.

Offline William F.

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:55 am »

Really, how so? From what I've seen, it allows for more freedom in creating a setting, which seems to make sense with a storytelling system.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »

Really, how so? From what I've seen, it allows for more freedom in creating a setting, which seems to make sense with a storytelling system.

Given that I'm into RPGs since longer than the youngest of our members have been alive and very interested by what make RPGs tick system and setting wise with friends with similar interests who also thought long and hard about the topic, the answer is going to be much longer than I have the time to write at the moment but I'll be back with it as soon as I have time to write it. Can you give me a hand and tell me what WoD game lines you are playing with so I can keep examples relevant?

Offline William F.

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:37 pm »

Given that I'm into RPGs since longer than the youngest of our members have been alive and very interested by what make RPGs tick system and setting wise with friends with similar interests who also thought long and hard about the topic, the answer is going to be much longer than I have the time to write at the moment but I'll be back with it as soon as I have time to write it. Can you give me a hand and tell me what WoD game lines you are playing with so I can keep examples relevant?

Or GM Orion has several supplements for character creation but I can't remember all of them. Personally though I'm just using the core rulebook and second sight supplement for my character. Hope that helps.

Offline crasher35

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »
I've always wanted to play a table top RPG but I could never get enough friends interested...

Offline William F.

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
I've always wanted to play a table top RPG but I could never get enough friends interested...

Try looking at a local game store. They usually have a gaming room to play games of all types. They usually have leagues and tournaments there as well.  The Wizards of the Coast website would be a good place to start if you're looking at D&D, they have a search engine for helping you find their events.

Offline crasher35

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:58 pm »
I know Sci-Fi City does, but they're on the other side of the city... There is a comic book store near my local grocery store where I once saw people playing some table top game, but I wasn't sure if that was something where anyone could come in or if it was just a group of friends of the employees/owner...

I really would be more comfortable playing with people I already know though...

Oh well, right now I wouldn't have the time anyway @_@, I don't even have time to play Skyward Sword, I can't even think about sitting down for a game of Dragon Age: Origins! Once I'm done with school, though, I'll look into it.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
Or GM Orion has several supplements for character creation but I can't remember all of them. Personally though I'm just using the core rulebook and second sight supplement for my character. Hope that helps.

No Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, etc?

I claimed the setting is shallow and you don't use the setting so I don't see how I can say things that will be relevant to you...