Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Question for those who have eReaders  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Question for those who have eReaders
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:18:36 am »
Do you read more books now that you have an ereader? Less? About the same?

I read a LOT more books with an ereader than I used to and the few people around me with ereaders also read more now.

So I'd like you to confirm or refute my hypothesis that overall, people read more once they have an ereader due to the convenience.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Question for those who have eReaders
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »
I personally would not say that I read more or less than I did before I got my Kindle.  It is just more convenient to read now, but it really does not encourage me to read more or less than I did before

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:35 pm »
Ok so upon re-examination of the evidence (aka discussing this question with my wife, who disagreed and said I do read more now that I have a Kindle) I retract my previous statement.

Offline Bobbert

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:44 am »
I think I read about the same amount, but I also play Every Word.  So there's more time with the Kindle than I had with just books before.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »
In general, most books I read are not available as ebooks,

Really? What books are those?
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline DavidT

• Read-Only
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:37:05 am »
I think ereaders are just fantastic.  Since I got mine I find i read more.  It is much more convenient than a normal book and though until the first five books I found it a bit awkward, I can now say that I would not go back to normal books.

Karla

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:43:53 pm »
It's not making any difference to me. I'm reading more now because my commute isn't long enough and is too split up for me to program on my laptop. I am enjoying catching up on all the books that I've put aside over the years. It's really helping me come up with ideas. I've just discovered the 'very short introduction' series of books.

Now if the kindle allowed me to read the large text books which are too bulky to bring with me on a commute then yes it would mean I read more but I'm still undecided about a Kindle Fire or a normal Android tablet, whether I can justifty a tablet at all.

The kindle has been better than I expected though. I wouldn't ever have bothered buying one but the boss gave me one when I joined. It's quite useful when waiting at a bus stop, especially when there's precipitation.

Offline DavidT

• Read-Only
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »
Hi Karla i have both an ipad and a kindle (old kindle).  I find that for reading the kindle is much better, e-ink is much easier on the eyes and i really like the simplicity of it.  Its fast and very quick to load.  I find ibooks tends to take a long time to load especially if you have quite a number of books on the ipad.  The ipad is great for various things but as an ereader the kindle wins hands down - just my opinion
Take care

luvthemgiants

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »
i read the same amount at home, but where the Kindle comes into its own for me is while travelling.

I spent 2 weeks in an all-inclusive resort a couple of months ago, just pure relaxation. I ended up reading 12 books over the 14 days. The convenience of having the books was the main reason for reading so many.

on the last 2 week holiday i brought 4 books because of bag weight restrictions. I ended up swapping books with other tourists, and reading books that i wouldnt normally read. IT was both a good and a bad thing as some of the books were truly rubbish.

Offline doriangraim

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »
No difference in the quantity of time allowed to read. But, since I have a reader, my personal library grown up all of a sudden. :345678

INnudeguy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 10:42:09 pm »
Never say Never but I don't think I'll ever own a kindle or any other ereader.  I don't read tons but when I do I like the tactile feeling of touching and holding a book.  I also like the smell of the paper and Ink.   so yeah I'm a weirdo!   :rolleyes:

Offline gorgelover

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 04:56:54 am »
I am also still a bit old school and really can't get into e-readers. I still buy (paper) books. Though it is cool that so many old classics can be found for free (legally) in digital form.