General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Television, Movies and Theatre

The Ugly Truth - 2009

(1/2) > >>

innersouth2020:
Starring: Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler

Genre: Comedy/Romance

Summary: Abby (Katherine Heigl) is a TV Producer for a local morning newscast in Sacramento with dwindling viewers and a love life to match the direction of her show. The network decides to introduce a new support anchor Mike (Gerard Butler) after his cable tv show rates higher then the news program which is all about the true harsh reality of love in his segment called "The Ugly Truth".

Abby teams up with Mike and his chauvinistic ways to try and land the man of her dreams using every untraditional method Mike says to do. Will his methods work to find her ultimate guy?

My Review: Katherine Heigl seems to pick romantic comedy roles of late though admittidly this one was more comedy then romance and thankfully so. As my female movie buddy pointed out, if someone that looks like Katherine Heigl and has the personality of her movie characters can't find a date, what chance does she have. I wasn't sure if I was being tested here so I just patted her leg and smiled.

The movie is very quick witted thanks to Gerard Butler's role and uses dialogue more realistic of a day-to-day conversation rather then a hollywood ideal. The comedy is both rude and often politically incorrect which lets face it, we all deep down do like. Keep an eye out for the scene with some vibrating underwear.

Eventually toward the end of the movie, the romance part comes out which is kind of predictable and loses the comic momentum. No movie is perfect.

Overall this is a good take the significant other to see style movie and easily watcheable for the guys wanting to earn 'brownie points' with that special someone, or in my case, the female companion unlucky in love.

joeyn:
It's just hard to picture Gerard Butler not as King Leonidus in 300.

Stuart:

--- Quote from: joeyn on August 10, 2009, 03:21:20 pm ---It's just hard to picture Gerard Butler not as King Leonidus in 300.

--- End quote ---

"THIS IS SPARTA!!!!" seems to sound so right with a hint of a Glaswegian accent  :879

randomer909:
Apparently they're thinking of making a 300 sequel or prequel but nothing has been made official yet

Stuart:

--- Quote from: randomer909 on August 11, 2009, 12:18:21 am ---Apparently they're thinking of making a 300 sequel or prequel but nothing has been made official yet

--- End quote ---

Well, its the 2500th anniversary of the Battle of Marathon next year, so a prequel would be good timing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version