Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: G.I. Joe - 2009  (Read 4183 times)

genxnaturist

Re: G.I. Joe - 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:56:46 am »
I grew up with 80s version. I even saw the earlier original versions.  I liked 80s, though bit sci fi, such as laser weapons, for most part, they were just trying to be little bit futuristic.  For most part it was realistic.  I also liked that they took bit from all around the military, to form special forces.  It was also very patriotic to USA ideals of freedom and protection of people who cant protect themselves.  This one, being political correct decided to have GI Joe, be an elite world group.  That is funny because GI Joe is well nick for american soldiers. The basis for the name of these actually was  popular 1945 film "The Lieutenant" which was first tv series done by Gene Rodenbury, yup trekies can be happy to know that GI Joe got inspriation from creator of star trek.  Story of G.I. Joe, decided on the generic name "G.I. Joe." Basis for plot line was based on show called "The L  GI actualy stands for Government Issue or standard run of mill person and Joe term for american shoulder. and team had person from each of the military brances excluding coast guard.  So basically GI Joe stood for Government Issue Joe.
Likewise many things are totally unrealistic.  I am submariner, and just about everything mentioned about submarines are incorrect.  Jules Vern did much better job at talking about submarines. 
Also I didnt know that ice could sink. 
Anycase, I saw this movie in Guam just while getting ready to be deployed.  I was disapointed.  If they would have gotten rid of all sillyness, been realistic, but taking present technology and add 20 years of development might have been great movie.  PS acting sucked.  The basic plot idea actualy wasnt to bad.

Michael

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 07:33:57 pm »
After watching the trailer for this before we watched Public Enemies (which was incredible) me and my friends couldn't stop laughing throughout the next 20 minutes of adverts. First time I saw it, I genuinely thought it was pisstake or a comedy. Turns out it wasn't. I did try and watch the film, but I couldn't make it past the opening scene with the worst sScottish accent I've ever heard. Except Christopher Ecclestone in the next scene. That was the final nail in the coffin for me ^^
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Stuart

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »
After watching the trailer for this before we watched Public Enemies (which was incredible) me and my friends couldn't stop laughing throughout the next 20 minutes of adverts. First time I saw it, I genuinely thought it was pisstake or a comedy. Turns out it wasn't. I did try and watch the film, but I couldn't make it past the opening scene with the worst sScottish accent I've ever heard. Except Christopher Ecclestone in the next scene. That was the final nail in the coffin for me ^^

That's a shame, you missed the bit where they remade the opening scene of Team America, but without the irony  :909

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »
growing up with GI near and dear to my heart, i was okay with how they developed the GI Joe side, except channing tatum. he had no emotion whatsoever throughout the entire movie! he annoyed me more than marlon wayans! the movie felt really rushed and as if it had no basis on any type of previous GI Joe stories. i was just really put off by it.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!