Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Martial Arts anyone?  (Read 18441 times)

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Are there any other martial artists here?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 10:59:46 am »
I honestly have to say, martial arts is something I would not at all want to do without clothes. Not only would the traditional training atmosphere be greatly diminished, but grappling with a naked man would be way too awkward.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:48 am »
I did karate when I was younger. I only got to orange belt though.
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 12:27:06 am »
Karate is really great for kids, especially sport karate. The competition factor is great motivation.

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 05:55:19 am »
That's pretty cool, the Filipino martial arts are particularly effective. We practice a lot of Kali and Arnise hand trapping and rattan flow drills, along with Wing Chun and Karate hand trapping techniques. I really enjoy that type of training.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:01:10 am by MountainHiker »

Karla

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 07:04:23 am »
Karate is really great for kids, especially sport karate. The competition factor is great motivation.

I'm afraid I have to disagree on one aspect of Karate for children. I did Karate as a kid because it was the only martial art locally available. I did it for several years. Throwing your arms out in punches damages the joints over time. Once in all those years the instructor told me not to lock my joints when punching but it didn't make any sense as a child so I continued. As with hill-walking, you don't really appreciate your how you are damaging your joints until you start getting problems with them.

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 07:41:53 pm »
Few years ago I started muai thai, unfortunately I had to stop practicing it in the club because I couldn't afford the gear which was needed to continue.

I would really like to start practicing martial arts again.

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 05:26:51 am »

I'm afraid I have to disagree on one aspect of Karate for children. I did Karate as a kid because it was the only martial art locally available. I did it for several years. Throwing your arms out in punches damages the joints over time. Once in all those years the instructor told me not to lock my joints when punching but it didn't make any sense as a child so I continued. As with hill-walking, you don't really appreciate your how you are damaging your joints until you start getting problems with them.

I have to agree with fishlover. I have seen a lot of kids come and go through our dojo and even more through our international organization. We are very careful with the types of techniques and exercises that we teach to our younger students. Only the safest techniques are taught, anything that would cause damage during the developmental years are omitted from the children's curriculum. (Things like maki wara training, which conditions the arm bones and striking points of the knuckles and balls of the feet for striking hard targets or blocking with force.) It seems that you were the unfortunate victim of an instructor who was not teaching correctly, possibly one of the dreaded McDojos that are so prevalent throughout the world. Unfortunately, there are many people who open martial arts schools who simply aren't qualified to teach, or have very little actual experience with teaching. Of course, any physical activity or sport that you take part in will wear down your body over time. The way I see it, I would rather have sore muscles and joints from living a long and active life, than be unable to do physical activity because I am too out of shape to move my body effectively. I'd rather end up old and worn out than let my muscles and cardiovascular system atrophy because I didn't put forth the effort to stay physically fit.

But that's just my opinion, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the matter!

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I go nude every day, cuz baby, I was born this way
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:02 am »
I'm a blackbelt in Tang Soo Do (Soo Bahk Do).  I'm only an "Il Dan" (1st Degree Black Belt) and that's partly due to inconsistent practice/dojang membership the last couple years.  I've been practicing for about six years now though.

This one is of me just after I started training while stationed in Korea.

This is me the day I was awarded my green belt.

Sadly, I didn't have a working camera when I got my red or black belts.  I am planning on joining the local dojang again soon and getting back into regular practice.  I want my "E Dan" and "Sam Dan" belts so I can be an instructor (3rd and 4th Degree belts).
Slaínte,

Paul

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:44 am »
That's awesome, man! Tang Soo do is a really good Korean art, lots of great kicking techniques. I've not had the chance to study it personally, but we were taught a bit about it during many of our martial arts history lectures. Congrats on the 1st dan, very few people make it that far.

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 07:46:23 am »
That's awesome, man! Tang Soo do is a really good Korean art, lots of great kicking techniques. I've not had the chance to study it personally, but we were taught a bit about it during many of our martial arts history lectures. Congrats on the 1st dan, very few people make it that far.

Thanks, MountainHiker!  I'm quite proud of my accomplishments so far, and I'm excited about getting back into it full-time.  I miss the regular training, and I really want to be an instructor.

Also, as a side note...my father also studied the same style, and only made it to a purple belt...so this is the one (and likely only) thing that I have accomplished in life better than my father has  :laugh:
Slaínte,

Paul

Offline MountainHiker

• Nude with Towel
  • Natural lifestyle
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:42 am »
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure there are plenty of things you are more accomplished at than your father. Besides, you've got a lot of life left to live!

Offline michigannoob

• just somebody trying to be nude
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:42 pm »
when I was a few years younger I took a self defence karate I believe called san chen ru (ps im a horrible speller for words I don't know or other languages) and I only got to green belt, other than that my brother has taught me a few techniques of the armies training and I have learned a few police tactics from my law classes
Being naked is like being free

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:44 am »
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure there are plenty of things you are more accomplished at than your father. Besides, you've got a lot of life left to live!

I was being a bit facetious, but thank you anyway!  :smiley:
Slaínte,

Paul

jessica_l

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
i have been in hap ki do since i was 5

c1108r

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »
judo