Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: video game soundtracks  (Read 101264 times)

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
  • Referrals: 0
    • fresh direction
video game soundtracks
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:16 pm »
Some one had started a thread on video game soundtracks on another form i use and it has been a really interesting thread so i thought id start it here.

The question is what is your favorite video game sound track?

My favorite over all soundtracks are mass effect, halo and final fantasy. Other good ones are skyrim, fallout new vegas and okami. I also own the soundtrack cds to tekken 5 and 6 and street fighter 4. I think these games have the perfect music for a beat em up. Resident evil is very good at using a subtle soundtrack and silence to create tension. 

Music in videogames is more important to me than graphics. It sets the tone, adds to tension and makesset pieces feel more epic.
what's to say?

fsjm2112

Re: video game soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »
I have to agree with skyrim as it really allows you to feel what is going on in the game. Other than that I love the music in Fallout 3..not really my favorite genre of music but I really enjoyed the music. I also like how games like saints row and GTA allow you to choose the radio station. While it doesnt add to certain scenes or parts of the game, it adds a sense of realism.

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »
Fallouts soundtrack is amazing. It is so mournful most of the time but then there are these cues of  country music that pops up and adds a kind of irony and carry-on-regardless spirit
what's to say?

Offline Ola

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:33 pm »
M-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-maaaaario!

fsjm2112

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »
Fallouts soundtrack is amazing. It is so mournful most of the time but then there are these cues of  country music that pops up and adds a kind of irony and carry-on-regardless spirit
Not sure if you have played Fallout 3(It sound like you have) but a perfect example is the "bingo bango bongo I dont want to leave the congo" song. That will probably look real wierd to most but If youv'e played the game youll know what Im talking about. Now...to find the title....

Offline Bobbert

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:26 am »
Descent 2 had awesome electronic music.  It was REALLY atmospheric for flying around the mines.
Portal and Portal 2 have terrific songs with lyrics.
Metal Gear Solid had some good stuff, too.

Offline deepthought

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:16 am »
In no particular order: Portal 2, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Diablo 2.

(I'm considering getting a minor in Video Game Scoring/Sound Design, as this is something I pay a lot of attention to.)

I think the music in Zelda is beautiful, simple as that; great orchestrations, even if they are sampled (It's a video game, that's really the best way).

Diablo 2 is excellent because of its dissonance and ambience. It doesn't have a clear beginning/end, so it works very well for video games. And it's so creepy sounding; it really creates the feel. Along with the sound of carvers in the distance. =P

Portal 2 does a really good job of incorporating the music into the game. For example, in the beginning scene, listen to the alarm; it starts out as an alarm, but it ends up being the melody of the song, seamlessly transitioning. There are lots of brilliant sound design/synthesis techniques used to get this effect throughout the game. I also geek out at all the awesome FM synthesis used for the percussion sounds.

Offline TheSeane

• Shouting it out loud
  • I'm not an ambi-turner.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:16 am »
There are SO many great music composers for games!!!  Of course my roots will always remain with the FF series.  The composer was in interesting guy too.  Pretty cool that he was a self taught musician.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Uematsu

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:33 am »
Yeah FF's music is awesome. We went to see the distant worlds tour in london last year. It was awesome and nobu uematsu (the composer) was there. Songs like one winged angel and libre fatali sounded awesome live.
what's to say?

Offline gamez

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »
Yeah FF's music is awesome. We went to see the distant worlds tour in london last year. It was awesome and nobu uematsu (the composer) was there. Songs like one winged angel and libre fatali sounded awesome live.

I was just at the Distant Worlds in St. Louis last Friday. I had goosebumps during a few songs (To Zanarkand mostly) and it's hard to go back to the games after hearing them live.

Offline NudeNathan

• Bare Squad - Moderation Division
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I come with my own background music
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »
My favourite soundtrack from a game is Halo, they have made some truly amazing and cool music :)

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:11:10 pm »
 yeah i know what u mean. It is coming back to london in november but i cant go because my stepson has school that day and i have to pick him up and stuff.
what's to say?

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:08 pm »
That reply was to gamez post. @opp225, halo is so dramatic and grand. It works so well with the peaks and troughs of gameplay. One of my personal fabe soundtracks.
what's to say?

wearoscarwilde

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:10 am »
I listen to this stuff when I'm doing homework: http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/

It's a download with a bajillion C64 tracks and a iTunes-esque player for them. I got way into old NES composers this last summer, and SIDPLAY has most of the greats.

The best part? I'm an ethnomusicologist, and listening to this shiz is legitimate research in the field. Heck yes for sweet undergrad degrees.

Offline The_Xenologer

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:27 am »
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker both have great soundtracks. The World Ends With You, despite not having music I would generally like, is actually pretty good as well. Oh, and Skies of Arcadia: Legends has an underrated soundtrack in my opinion. 
“A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone.”

-Tyrion Lannister