General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Video Game Lounge

video game soundtracks

<< < (2/39) > >>

Bobbert:
Descent 2 had awesome electronic music.  It was REALLY atmospheric for flying around the mines.
Portal and Portal 2 have terrific songs with lyrics.
Metal Gear Solid had some good stuff, too.

deepthought:
In no particular order: Portal 2, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Diablo 2.

(I'm considering getting a minor in Video Game Scoring/Sound Design, as this is something I pay a lot of attention to.)

I think the music in Zelda is beautiful, simple as that; great orchestrations, even if they are sampled (It's a video game, that's really the best way).

Diablo 2 is excellent because of its dissonance and ambience. It doesn't have a clear beginning/end, so it works very well for video games. And it's so creepy sounding; it really creates the feel. Along with the sound of carvers in the distance. =P

Portal 2 does a really good job of incorporating the music into the game. For example, in the beginning scene, listen to the alarm; it starts out as an alarm, but it ends up being the melody of the song, seamlessly transitioning. There are lots of brilliant sound design/synthesis techniques used to get this effect throughout the game. I also geek out at all the awesome FM synthesis used for the percussion sounds.

TheSeane:
There are SO many great music composers for games!!!  Of course my roots will always remain with the FF series.  The composer was in interesting guy too.  Pretty cool that he was a self taught musician.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Uematsu

Gman707:
Yeah FF's music is awesome. We went to see the distant worlds tour in london last year. It was awesome and nobu uematsu (the composer) was there. Songs like one winged angel and libre fatali sounded awesome live.

gamez:

--- Quote from: Gman707 on March 27, 2012, 07:35:33 am ---Yeah FF's music is awesome. We went to see the distant worlds tour in london last year. It was awesome and nobu uematsu (the composer) was there. Songs like one winged angel and libre fatali sounded awesome live.

--- End quote ---

I was just at the Distant Worlds in St. Louis last Friday. I had goosebumps during a few songs (To Zanarkand mostly) and it's hard to go back to the games after hearing them live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version