Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Six Naked Teenagers Found Swimming in Lake - The Gestapo gets them!  (Read 15853 times)

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Six Naked Teenagers Found Swimming in Lake - The Gestapo gets them!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:53 am »

I'd still be careful. Gestapo isn't a word people just flaunt around, even if they are just making an innocent comparison.

It is very common to flaunt words like that around here in the US.

Sorry if this comes off as a thread hijack but people here in the USA do throw around terms like Nazi and Gestapo pretty freely.  Perhaps it's because while we sent people to fight in WWII we never had fascists banging down our doors or invading our cities.  I've been on other boards with an international group where Europeans took offense to Americans throwing around terms like "grammar Nazi," "spelling Nazi" & "jack booted thugs" to describe things that were in fact nothing like the totalitarian dictatorship of Hitler.

I can't find it right now but I do recall reading an article a while back decrying the casual throwing around of the term Nazi as dishonoring those who died in that conflict.  After all if some jerk in a restaurant is a "soup Nazi" than how bad would the general population consider Nazi's to be?

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Re: Six Naked Teenagers Found Swimming in Lake - The Gestapo gets them!
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22:03 pm »
Ok.  This thread is going way off the original, so if folks wish to debate or discuss the thread-drift, please say so and we will split the topic, ok?

I will post this last comment as I made the thread in the first place, then, if you still want to continue to debate it with new thoughts, simply ask for a split. 

The term gestapo brings up, or should bring up, in ones mind horrible acts done by an ultimate policing agency.  Ok, fair enough.  I used that term in reference to what I consider, and all on another forum (but not here apparantly from those that cared enough to voice an opinion), an outrageous over-reaction by the police in that town in the article.  So, I had used gestapo to emphasis my own opinion about their action.  Thats all.  To bring home in ones mind, a thought of hunting down boys being, well, boys.

Thats it.  Again, if you want to continue it, we will oblidge by splitting the topic.  Otherwise, lets get back to the original topic. Thanks!

-Danee
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/