Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Public Enemies - 2009  (Read 1090 times)

innersouth2020

Public Enemies - 2009
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »
Starring:  Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, Channing Tatum, David Wenham

Genre: Crime/Drama/Gangster

Summary: No one could stop John Dillinger and his gang. No jail could hold him. His charm and audacious jailbreaks endeared him to almost everyone, from his girlfriend Billie Frechette to an American public who had no sympathy for the banks that had plunged the country into the Depression. But while the adventures of Dillinger' gang, later including Baby Face Nelson and Alvin Karpis, thrilled many, J. Edgar Hoover made Dillinger America's first Public Enemy Number One and sent in Melvin Purvis, the dashing "Clark Gable of the FBI."

Dillinger and his gang outwitted and outgunned Purvis' men in wild chases and shootouts. Only after importing a crew of Western ex-lawmen (newly baptized as agents) and orchestrating epic betrayals from the infamous "Lady in Red" to the Chicago crime boss Frank Nitti were Purvis, the FBI and their new crew of gunfighters able to close in on Dillinger

My Review: Well I do like a good gangster gunfight and there were certainly some gunfights in this one, but were they good, not really.

The movie is long. The plot slow. The excitement was minimal.  All this from Johnny Depp as the lead and I kept checking my watch to see how soon the movie would end. The movie was all hype and not alot of quality viewing pleasure.

Give this one a miss. I already miss the 2 plus hours of my life this movie consumed and seriously, give me a semi-automatic and I wouldn't miss or shoot the ground around you. WTF.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
Re: Public Enemies - 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »
I couldn't disagree more if I'm honest. Cinematically, it was a treat. It was shot beautifully, and if I'm not mistaken they used old film for parts of it the digitised it. Depp gave an absolutely riveting performance as Dillinger, and for once Christian Bale didn't annoy me, which trust me, has never happened before. Marion Cotillard was a charming lady, and Billy Crudup was an impeccable J Edgar Hoover. The chases and gunfights were well choreographed and the sound only heightened the tension during some parts.

One of my favourite movies of the last 5 years ago, GO AND SEE THIS MOVIE!
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline MERRD

• Nude without Towel
  • The Royal Naked One
  • Referrals: 0
    • My Interview on IYNO
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
I have to agree with Alex on this one - stunning movie! It is one of the few movies that is even more exciting then it's trailer (and not because the trailer sucked...)
"They found out my degree was less than legitimate"
"I thought you had a bachelor from Columbia?"
"Yeah, so now I need one from America"

innersouth2020

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:00 pm »
Always great to hear opposing feedback and whilst this film didn't appeal to me, and despite my ties to Chicago, I am glad it did appeal to others. :322