Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Orphan - 2009  (Read 1003 times)

innersouth2020

Orphan - 2009
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:35:55 pm »
Starring: Peter Sarsgaard, Vera Farmiga, Isabelle Fuhrman, CCH Pounder, Jimmy Bennett

Genre: Horror/Suspense

Summary: The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate’s fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child.

At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther. This seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther’s sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late, for everyone

My Review: From the start, Esther is one of those characters that instantly seem creepy and whilst she possesses the ability to charm people to thinking she is a very good child, you know she is pure evil. The stares, the sudden appearances in a scene, the way she talks, lightning flashes across a room to reveal her face.

The story seemed a little similar to the 1993 film "The Good Son" starring Elijah Wood and Macaulay Culkin though this little girl makes Macaulay seem like a Disney character compared to her.

I did predict alot of what would happen next, though the action flowed throughout so made for good viewing. There is one twist which even I couldn't predict and when it occurred, even I was like, WTF.

This movie would probably only really serve justice on the big screen for the tension and suspense it creates. I think it would be lost on your home TV, but I did enjoy it, even if I do laugh at inappropriate times during the movie. Esther will make you wanna use protection or birth control and if not, stay away from me.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
Re: Orphan - 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »
Sounds a lot like The Omen to me. Is it similar?
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

innersouth2020

Re: Orphan - 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:58:34 am »
nope. As per my review it is like The Good Son but more twisted.