Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: BBC Article: Naturism in Germany  (Read 4529 times)

Offline mcibear

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
BBC Article: Naturism in Germany
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:08:58 am »
I found this on the bbc websight and found it a facinating read.  Exploring nudity, gender roles and germen culture all in one go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18021714

Any thoughts?

btonnude

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Re: BBC Article: Naturism in Germany
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:18:48 pm »
Hey guys, I just merged your two topics as they were on the same subject :)

It's a really interesting article, though! I'd not realised there was so much internal 'division', if that's the right word, within Germany! Stuart, you'd better be careful where you tread :P

Offline everythingchanges

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:21:29 pm »
"In the rubble after World War II, there were seven million more German women than men"

I found this fascinating. I mean it makes complete sense, and maybe other people already knew this but I'd never heard it or thought about it. Really interesting how this situation affects social/gender class.

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:46 am »
Imo, the article tries to talk about too much at once. It's like it tries to link nudism to sexuality, but then it isn't able to and then it forgets talking about nudism and simply starts talking about how women in east Germany are more willing to have casual sex than the women in west Germany. Imo, the article either needed to stick to talking about possible evidence (or lack thereof) of nudism's link to sexuality in Germany, or it should have skipped talking about nudism and simply talked about this interesting occurence of how west and east Germany have difference cultures and the problems that have been arising from it.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »
I have to add that naturists are still a big minority in Germany. Yes - our saunas are mixed and public and we visit the naked. But many Germans do not like to visit a nude beach. Sauna and nude beach - thats two very different things for the Germans. More than 50% of the Germans have visited a sauna - but very less than that have visited a nude beach and most wouldnt like the idea.

It is correct that the east Germans WERE more openminded about nudity. But times has changed. The east German youth isnt that openminded anymore at all. Only the older people are still more "uncomplicated" and open in East Germany. The young ones act like the west Germans: They are very shy of their bodies.

Many people think that Germany is the paradise for nudists. I can tell you: It isnt. We are openminded - yes. But it is a fact that many nude beaches were turned into textile beaches and many towns reduce the size of their nude beaches. Thats the reality.
We must support naturism much more. German naturists arent organzied on the internet very well. I like the American way of naturism: The North Americans like to meet for naturist gatherings at their private houses or do nude parties. Those things doesnt happen here in Germany. At least those events are rare.
But we have 2 naturist hiking trails here (north Germany). It is correct that the south is a little bit more closeminded. But it always depends on the person!!! You cannot generalize it. For example: Many many many nude beach visitors which visit our nude beaches in the north in summer time are from South Germany.
The people in South Germany have the problem that they do not have a coast line and no nude beaches. Thats why the north Germans are used to nudity much more. And the confession plays a role, too. The South is catholic, the north protestant.
That sound you just heard was a nail being hit on its head by this man.  Pretty much the experience I've noticed here in my year in Germany