Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Genealogy  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Genealogy
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »
.....I did a bit of research on the 1901 census.....

that is actually as far back as Irish records go...... that's due to the records department being burned to the ground during the civil war, its such a shame, makes doing a family tree really difficult
Yeah stuff like that always makes things difficult.  There was a fire in the 1970s at the building in St Louis that housed a lot of veteran's records from the American Revolution up until the American Civil War.  So that makes things difficult for those trying to trace ancestral heritage through military records from that time period of American history.

Offline Nickhbnz

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 12:25:13 am »
The sooner everything ets put on the internet the better,, makes it more accessible to everyone, no matter where you are, and eliminates the risk of everything being lost in a fire.
Would be nice to see more of the old Parish records from the UK put on the internet.

Offline mcibear

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:31:57 am »
I only know a little.  My dads side grandfather originaly had tickets for the Titanic but Sweden took its sweet time giving them an exit Visa so they had to book a different ship.  Good thing too because they would have been in third class, being pesent farmers and all.

Offline beachboy1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:39 pm »
Would be nice to see more of the old Parish records from the UK put on the internet.

Yes, I've been helping to do this in some of my work :police:

My dads side grandfather originaly had tickets for the Titanic but Sweden took its sweet time giving them an exit Visa so they had to book a different ship.

Wow, that was a lucky escape!  Just think, if he had got that, you might not exist today...! :undecided:

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:03 pm »
Wow, that was a lucky escape!  Just think, if he had got that, you might not exist today...! :undecided:
Yeah when you go through your family history it can give you a sense of how lucky you really are to even exist.  My aforementioned ancestor that was killed during the American Revolution also had a son who fought in that battle, who was wounded, but survived the war to give birth to my great-great-great grandfather, who fought in the American Civil War, was captured and survived a year and a half at the Andersonville prison camp. 

testaverde246

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:54:58 am »
I traced my lineage back to the 1600's using Ancestry... anything farther back than that was guesswork. There was another person's family tree that traced my ancestor's lineage back to Adam and Eve

Petrucio28

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 02:41:54 am »
I would like to learn more about ancestry. We have tracked my mother's side of the family back to before the American Civil War, and my dad's mothers side back to Europe, but my Dad's father's side is harder to do because his parents were both Native Americans, and from two different California Tribes. 

vfherman

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:01 am »
Yeah us Americans do have an advantage that a good chunk have decent records once our ancestors reached America.  Unfortunately a sizable chunk of Americans had their ancestors come to the states under less than noble circumstances (i.e. as slaves) and thus records are difficult.  On my father's side it is difficult to go back more than a couple of generations.  I am having difficulties getting a hold of records from Puerto Rico (my dad is from the island) and either they have yet to put a lot of the old records online, or they didn't survive the Spanish American War.  Further making things difficult is my paternal grandfather's side is descended from African slaves brought to the island for sugar cane production.  Also not a good sign when you ask your dad what your grandmother's maiden name was and he goes "ummm I dunno"   :345

I did come across an article a long time ago, where the aquired slaves took the owners surnames. And of course there are slave schedules out there. Who bout the slaves, age, and from whom they bought it from. I never used them, so I can't go into alot of detail about them.

Offline jaznatsoc

• Nudie two-shoes
  • Casually Dressed
  • I'm a twenty-six-year-old male, expanding horizons
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »
I enjoy genealogy!  I would really like to learn more about my history, but it's so neat to know where you come from, and what a rich heritage you have!!  Like all people from North Carolina, I have a little Cherokee blood in me, but my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was a chief before the trail of tears!  My mother's side is Scotch-Irish from the Appalachian Mountains and my father's families are English, one branch coming over on the Mayflower!
Member, non-landed club in central N.C.

Jake09

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 12:10:55 am »
I've always been interested in history and genealogy. My ancestors are from England, Ireland and a very few from France. We managed to trace back one side of the family several generations and even found a photo in Howard Castle that looks remarkably like my great grandfather. So we may be descended from them. The frustrating thing is the church which held all the records in England was destroyed by fire and all the records were lost so the missing piece as to whether we were related to the Howards of Howard Castle can never be found :-(

On the other side of the family, we've traced ourselves back to Huddersfield, England where there is a large number of people with our family name still living. There is even a lane named after us! The lane used to lead up to a watchtower. I find it very thrilling stuff!!

Zeraf242

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:55 am »
On my mothers side I have African, Native American, and Irish blood. My dads side is African and Caucasian.

Offline vqn35

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:16 pm »
I started searching for my family's history when I was 15. I have made huge discoveries since then. My family comes from Brittany, Normandy and Mayenne. I found a link to the powerful families De Verdun, De Cholet, De Vendôme, who hesitated to depend on the Duke of France or the King of England at that time. It gives a new understanding to History.

Offline Kyle

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:43 pm »
I've traced part of my family back to Ireland in the early 1700's. They ended up coming here before the US even existed.
The German/Austrian side left in the 1850s, I believe (apparently because he didn't like his stepmother! haha).
My greek side, which gives me my last name and most of my appearance it seems we don't know anything beyond when my great grandfather was born, since he never really talked about it, and died fairly young. But the island he came from was massacred by the Turks, so no records survived that. But I was told my great grandfather was quite adamant that our family were Americans, not Greeks. That's why my grandfather only knew how to swear in greek ;D

I do find genealogy very interesting, but at the same time to me it's rather trivial because what my ancestors did doesn't reflect on me. Or at least I don't think it does.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:35:38 pm by Jiyujin »

Offline nudetotheworld

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 01:48:27 am »
I thought I'd let people know about this video from Australian TV show The Checkout about Genealogy... It's for mainly the Australian context, but I'm sure other countries would have similar things as well...

Offline Mettis

• Be free, be nude!
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Become a part of nature
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:02 am »
If people want to make their genealogy, I advise them to use the Mormon archives, they are good about it !
nΔa²t+u(r±e)³ = L(i)fe³ - Σ(cl²ot³h²es)

.: Mettis & Vous ! :.