General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Music and Concerts

Paying homage vs ripping off another group's sound

(1/4) > >>

brandon:
I'm a strong believer in "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

We're probably all familiar with the controversy over Coldplay's "Viva La Vida". Is it an original song or a ripoff of Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens), Joe Satriani or Creaky Boards? I really don't care. The other artists'/groups' songs are good, but Coldplay's song is the best.

Linkin Park's "Shadow of the Day" sure sounds a lot like U2's "With Or Without You" but that doesn't bother me. Music, and perhaps art in general, is almost never totally independent of the works that preceded it.

What songs by one group remind you of another group?

Stuart:
The opening to "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits has always sounded like a rip off of "Jumpin Jack Flash" by the ROlling Stones to me, although no ever agrees when I say that :76

Nude_not_rude:
o.k. so Dream Theatre reminds me a lot of Spinal Tap...is it the same band??? lol

TheSeane:
I think the problem I have with most modern music today is that a lot of the stuff on the radio right now are cover songs back from the 80s and 90s..... lame! 

Seems like our label signed artists are running out of creative ideas with good driving lines so every one is digging up the "oldie goldie" tunes and redoing them. 

Viva la independent artists!

brandon:

--- Quote from: TheSilentWithin on August 28, 2009, 06:44:58 pm ---I think the problem I have with most modern music today is that a lot of the stuff on the radio right now are cover songs back from the 80s and 90s..... lame! 
--- End quote ---
How is that a problem? Seether's version of 'Careless Whisper' is better than George Michael / Wham's original version, imo.

--- Quote ---Seems like our label signed artists are running out of creative ideas with good driving lines so every one is digging up the "oldie goldie" tunes and redoing them. 

--- End quote ---
'Twas always thus. According to Wikipedia, the Kingsmen's 1963 hit, 'Louis, Louis' was a cover. (The song was written by Richard Berry in 1955.) Fats Domino's 1956 hit 'Blueberry Hill' was written in 1940 and performed by various artists including Glenn Miller in the 1940s. Sinead O'Connor's 1990 version of 'Nothing Compares to You' is much better than Prince's version from the 1980s. Even if a cover isn't better, it is often still interesting to hear a fresh take on a familiar song. I love both New Order's  original version of 'Blue Monday' and Orgy's edgier remake. I prefer the Cowboy Junkies' version of 'I'm so lonely I could cry' to Hank Williams' version.

BTW, you might find some elements of Bach in various popular songs written in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version