Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How many languages do you speak?  (Read 13689 times)

decoboco

Re: How many languages do you speak?
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2017, 02:24:27 pm »
Speak English, understand Japanese and some Mandarin.

Offline eggmoose5

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:46 pm »
I went through 4 years of French in high school, but I wouldn't say that I can speak it. But other than that, I'm a typical American and only know English.

Offline nakiekitty

• An Actual Cat IRL
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Meow meow!
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:18 pm »
I speak English, a bit of C++/C#/Python, and I also speak the language of love *wink wink*

Also I can meow like a kitty and kitties meow back, but I'm not fluent :x

Offline Il_lore

• A human being
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »
I voted 3 when I first opened this thread, but now they're five.
I have a quite good english, a decent french and a basic german and spanish
There are a lot of advantages in being naked: no one will disagree on the colors you choose, you won't have spots on your shirt, the swimming suit won't leave a sign on your body and it will be easier to dry off after a bath.

Offline Naturalle

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2017, 09:29:37 pm »
Bulgarian and English.

Offline MentaGlaciajxo

• Female Chat
  • Topless with bottoms
    • Pensoj el La Malantaŭa Aŭtoseĝo - Poetry in Esperanto
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2017, 06:30:51 am »
So any more than four is "too many to count"? lol

As for me, it depends on how you define "speak"... and how you define "language".

My native language is English, I'm fluent in Esperanto, and am gradually becoming conversational in Spanish (still struggle with verb forms, but I can usually get my point across).

In the "do I really 'speak' it?" territory are American Sign Language (I took classes for five months, but then we moved and I didn't have anyone to practice with so I didn't practice) and Russian (I learned the alphabet and some words and sentences, but can't really have a conversation beyond greetings and introductions).

In the "is it really a 'language'?" category is Toki Pona, a minimalist language with about 120 words (the assorted obsolete and unofficial words make counting them a bit less straightforward). I speak it quite well, and can express and understand more than I thought would be possible (I even wrote a singable translation of "O Holy Night"), but the vocabulary makes it hard to say things like "hope" and "sit"! These limitations make me hesitate to consider it a full language.

I also know most of the grammar, and some vocabulary, of Lojban (a constructed language based on predicate logic) and Klingon, but remain an eternal beginner, so I don't count them as languages I speak.

I have a long list of languages I want to learn; if I achieve conversational fluency in Spanish by the end of the year, I plan to focus on Russian next year. I also still want to master ASL. Also fairly high on the list are Italian and Korean, and I'd like to learn German and Japanese sometime! If only I really could become "Fluent in 3 Months", but that hasn't panned out for me so far! :-P
Why do we drive on the parkway, and park on the driveway?