Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: UK Government eyes up naturists’ claim for equality protection  (Read 2248 times)

Stuart

What do we all think of this? It'll be interesting to see how opinions from people from the UK, who are familiar with the government here, differ from those of the rest of the world.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6806382.ece

HARRIET HARMAN is set to embrace yet another minority group who claim to be victims of discrimination – naturists.

The Government Equalities Office, which is overseen by Labour’s deputy leader, is promoting claims that devotees of skinny dipping and nudist campsites suffer prejudice equivalent to that experienced by gays, ethnic minorities and the elderly.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
Re: UK Government eyes up naturists’ claim for equality protection
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »
I think it's a good thing as far as prohibiting employment discrimination, e.g. against teachers, for their legal personal activities.

If the investigation goes overboard and proposes or mandates radical changes, such as requiring employers to let employees come to work naked, that would not do the naturist cause much good.

There's also the issue of discrimination within naturism. Here is an excerpt from one of the comments posted:

Quote from: Rob Candlish
I have been a naturist for 26 years. During that time the only discrimination I have encountered has been from other naturists, because I happen to be a single chap.

British Naturism are stepping into dangerous terriotory here, because the clubs they represent seem, to me at least, to be more discriminatory than the world outside

I know we have discussed this issue before. It's a difficult one, because if 90% of the visitors at a naturist resort are single males (regardless of their sexual orientation), couples and single females may feel out of place and choose not to visit the resort.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Nude_not_rude

Re: UK Government eyes up naturists’ claim for equality protection
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:16:37 am »
Interesting. I'll be interested to see what happens next. It is true that this discrimination exists. If I was sacked for it, I'd certainly be heading straight for the Equal Opportunity tribunal here.