Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Interesting article from a woman who was raised as a nudist  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Interesting article from a woman who was raised as a nudist
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »
The author was raised as a nudist and she brings up some interesting points.  One is that she says it's not the nudity that was the problem; it's the secrecy that she felt isolated her from her non-nudist peers.  At such a young age people often want nothing more than to fit in with kids their own age.  Kids at that age can often be very cruel if they find out that you are not like them in some way.  Add to that the fact that her folks probably told her to be discreet about her visits to a nudist places.

She grew up in a very conservative area and if she went around telling people that she went to a camp where everybody went around nude some well meaning friend or teacher might have reported them to Child Protective Services for suspicion of child abuse.   

I Was a Grade School Nudist
Jill Hamilton   

Yes, I know that every kid is a nudist. But I really was one.  Like, officially. As in, card carrying member of the ASA (American Sunbathing Association.) As in going to special places — nudist camps, or if would want to make them sound really creepy and culty, nudist colonies — which were created for no other reason than so people could walk around naked.

This was the Shameful Secret of my childhood, like having an alcoholic mother who hit or an uncle who touched you in the areas where the bathing suit covers. No one was to know. As you may recall, I grew up in the 1970s, the time of hippies, macrame owls and mushroom decor, but I grew up in 1970s Georgia, a place of macrame owls, etc..., but also a very conservative, uptight place. It was a place where every white family had a black maid named something like Mavis, vegetarians were suspect and you sure as fuck weren't supposed to be something as whack as a nudist.

sandymaslin

Re: Interesting article from a woman who was raised as a nudist
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »
I'm not sure we have come much further really

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »

In some ways I think that we have even regressed, at least here in the US.  I can't speak for Australia as I've never been there.

Another interesting part of the article she talks about how teen nudists often "rebel" by wearing clothes & I've seen that at resorts before.  Clothed teens with their naked parents living or visiting the place.  I think that the internet may have opened up nudism for many people who were raised as non nudist.  Just among the people here we've got a lot of younger people who found nudism online and were not raised in it.

Offline Hamish

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:55:36 pm »

In some ways I think that we have even regressed, at least here in the US.  I can't speak for Australia as I've never been there.

Another interesting part of the article she talks about how teen nudists often "rebel" by wearing clothes & I've seen that at resorts before.  Clothed teens with their naked parents living or visiting the place.  I think that the internet may have opened up nudism for many people who were raised as non nudist.  Just among the people here we've got a lot of younger people who found nudism online and were not raised in it.

I think it's this need to "fit in" that is contributing to the dwindling number of naturists, especially in the younger generations, in many countries. The internet has raised awareness of naturism which is a positive, but social naturism will likely always be more popular with the older (more open minded/care free?) generations.

That's unless proactive naturists can work to change things ofcourse  :tongue:
"We are never alone when we are with Mother Nature" ~ Anthony Douglas Williams

Offline eagleday

• Nude without Towel
  • Nothing else but my skin
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »
The author was raised as a nudist and she brings up some interesting points.  One is that she says it's not the nudity that was the problem; it's the secrecy that she felt isolated her from her non-nudist peers.  At such a young age people often want nothing more than to fit in with kids their own age.  Kids at that age can often be very cruel if they find out that you are not like them in some way.  Add to that the fact that her folks probably told her to be discreet about her visits to a nudist places.

She grew up in a very conservative area and if she went around telling people that she went to a camp where everybody went around nude some well meaning friend or teacher might have reported them to Child Protective Services for suspicion of child abuse.   

I Was a Grade School Nudist
Jill Hamilton   

Yes, I know that every kid is a nudist. But I really was one.  Like, officially. As in, card carrying member of the ASA (American Sunbathing Association.) As in going to special places — nudist camps, or if would want to make them sound really creepy and culty, nudist colonies — which were created for no other reason than so people could walk around naked.

This was the Shameful Secret of my childhood, like having an alcoholic mother who hit or an uncle who touched you in the areas where the bathing suit covers. No one was to know. As you may recall, I grew up in the 1970s, the time of hippies, macrame owls and mushroom decor, but I grew up in 1970s Georgia, a place of macrame owls, etc..., but also a very conservative, uptight place. It was a place where every white family had a black maid named something like Mavis, vegetarians were suspect and you sure as fuck weren't supposed to be something as whack as a nudist.

Sounds like my hometown, right in this 21st century.
“Everybody thinks they want freedom, but what they really want is order.” (Valin Hess)

Offline Hamish

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:24:29 am »
 :3145
The internet brings like minded people together mostly just in a superficial level, which is fine, but it poses a risk to our privacy whether we like it or not.

Naturists need to feel comfortable in their environment in order to enjoy it. I suggest we all try to find this island and bring a LONG ladder with us, problem solved  :smiley:

"We are never alone when we are with Mother Nature" ~ Anthony Douglas Williams