Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Gangnam style  (Read 13704 times)

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Gangnam style
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:45 pm »
You know, I actually like the song and the dance. Not because "it is so silly it is ridiculous", but because "it is cool, yeah, it is silly, but so what".
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:17 am »
You know, I actually like the song and the dance. Not because "it is so silly it is ridiculous", but because "it is cool, yeah, it is silly, but so what".

Has "cool" been redefined?  I didn't get the memo.

I checked urbandictionary.com . . . they define "cool" as very relaxed, never goes out of style, and people will never laugh at you for using it . . . I guess they missed the memo too.

In comparing gangnam style to the criteria within this definition of cool, gangnam style gets a three out of three FAIL.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline DavidT

• Read-Only
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 10:44:17 am »
Well the face that so many people have viewed the video and heard the song makes it cool.  there are thousands possibly millions of songs out there and to get the kind of publicity and popularity that gangnam style got, then there must certainly be something about it...

Offline AElf

• Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
Well the face that so many people have viewed the video and heard the song makes it cool.  there are thousands possibly millions of songs out there and to get the kind of publicity and popularity that gangnam style got, then there must certainly be something about it...

If most watched means cool to you then watching the Twin Towers fall must be super cool for you.  A lot of things get watched by wide audiences for very different reasons.  In the case of the Twin Towers it is (often) a matter of pathos.  In the case of gangam style it is a matter of seeing something that is so bad that you watch in fascination to see what happens next.  That doesn't make it cool.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Stuart

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 10:45:37 am »
That doesn't make it cool.

Does it make it cool in the ironic, David Hasselhoff way?

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 10:47:23 pm »
AElf, look at what was considered cool in the 1970s on these criteria. Obviously the definition you are using is a very narrow one and classical symphonies would be "cooler" by that definition than any disco music ever has been.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

natureboy1776

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:56 am »
It could have been worse. Look what Nostradomus said of "Gangnam style".

Karla

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2013, 06:22:07 am »
I can't remember if I've actually listened to the original or not before. I can't remember it but I vaguely remembering checking it out only to find that it wasn't particularly interesting.

I prefer Eton style, it has more class.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:30 am »
I prefer Eton style, it has more class.

The lack of class is part of the satire of the orignal. But this is pretty much the same song with jokes you can understand. Here's the one that got popular around here (themed around last spring's student protest):

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:21:27 am by Dan »
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline AElf

• Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:05 am »
AElf, look at what was considered cool in the 1970s on these criteria. Obviously the definition you are using is a very narrow one and classical symphonies would be "cooler" by that definition than any disco music ever has been.

Umm . . . not to put too fine a point on it but disco music was NEVER cool.  According to my uncle & aunt people made fun of it even when it was supposedly in fashion.  And, by the by, Beethoven IS cool.

:Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake:
 :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake:
 :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake:
 :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake:
 :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake:                  :Butt Shake: :Butt Shake: