Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: In defense of breast feeding in public  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Infinity Biscuit

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • she/her
  • Referrals: 0
Re: In defense of breast feeding in public
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »
Guys are usually not an obstacle to this. Most of the offendees are women.
Evidence? :3

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:05 pm »

Anecdotal since I can't find a study on being offended at breastfeeding.

But when have you ever heard or read a news story when it's a guy that's offended and want breastfeeding mothers to cover up? Look them up on Google, you'll find they are really hard to find.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

natureboy1776

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

Anecdotal since I can't find a study on being offended at breastfeeding.

But when have you ever heard or read a news story when it's a guy that's offended and want breastfeeding mothers to cover up? Look them up on Google, you'll find they are really hard to find.

Agreed, usually women that are offended. See story after story on Tera.ca

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
I agree it's natural and totally inoffensive. A local TV host is in hot water at the moment about comments he made last week. Protests to follow tomorrow morning apparently.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/breastfeeding-advocates-to-hold-protest-out-sunrise-studio-over-koch-comments/story-e6frfmyi-1226557536676

UP TO 800 angry breastfeeding advocates will converge outside the Sydney studio of the Seven Network's Sunrise program to protest against comments made by host David Koch.
Discussing a story about a Queensland woman who was told she couldn't feed her baby at a public pool, Koch said on Friday he supported breastfeeding, but that women should be "classy'' about it.
The comments prompted an immediate backlash with enraged nursing mothers and other breastfeeding supporters setting up a Facebook page to encourage people to participate in the Sunrise Nurse-In on Monday.
"A nurse-in is without doubt needed at the Sunrise studio in Sydney,'' the page says.
"Join us on Monday morning to take a stand against this unfair view.''

Participants are asked to arrive at 7am (AEDT).
By Sunday 565, people had indicated they would attend the nurse-in, with 228 "maybes''.
The event has gained publicity with media personality and mamamia publisher Mia Freedman condemning Koch's comments on her widely read blog.
Comment was being sought from Seven.

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:59:15 pm »
yes David Koche is an idiot in my opinion breasfeeding should be done anywhere anytime its a natural thing .
nude is natural

Offline MERRD

• Nude without Towel
  • The Royal Naked One
    • My Interview on IYNO
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 03:00:11 am »
Having moved from the Netherlands to the US only recently (well, it has been 5 months already) I think this is one of the more interesting difference I can find. I swear I have never, ever, ever seen a woman breastfeeding in public in the Netherlands. Maybe it's just me not paying enough attention, or maybe I was always on the wrong/right place at the right/wrong time, but I can not remember ever seeing a woman do that. However, I remember thinking two months after I got here that women here are super open about that. My coworker breastfed her baby at work, I saw a woman doing it on the BART (the subway), one in a park.. numerous!

I don't know what to make of it. It might be that it is because it's Berkeley, which is pretty topfree in general..it's just one of the very many interesting things I discovered on this awesome journey.
"They found out my degree was less than legitimate"
"I thought you had a bachelor from Columbia?"
"Yeah, so now I need one from America"

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »
Having moved from the Netherlands to the US only recently (well, it has been 5 months already) I think this is one of the more interesting difference I can find. I swear I have never, ever, ever seen a woman breastfeeding in public in the Netherlands. Maybe it's just me not paying enough attention, or maybe I was always on the wrong/right place at the right/wrong time, but I can not remember ever seeing a woman do that. However, I remember thinking two months after I got here that women here are super open about that. My coworker breastfed her baby at work, I saw a woman doing it on the BART (the subway), one in a park.. numerous!

I did some googling about maternity leave in the Netherlands and women who just gave birth and entitled to a lot more leave time than women in the US are.  16 weeks of paid leave after giving birth.  In the US they only get 6 weeks of unpaid leave.  Economic realities force a lot of US women back to work much sooner than they would like given the physical stresses that pregnancy, childbirth and parenting an infant put on a body.  Rather than taking it easy at home with the baby they are often forced back out into the world where they don't have any other chance to breastfeed than on the subway, at work or at the store.

natureboy1776

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

I don't know what to make of it. It might be that it is because it's Berkeley, which is pretty topfree in general..it's just one of the very many interesting things I discovered on this awesome journey.

I think it is mostly your location. I have lived in the US most of my life and can only remember seeing public breastfeeding five times.

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 05:39:43 am »
I agree it's natural and totally inoffensive. A local TV host is in hot water at the moment about comments he made last week. Protests to follow tomorrow morning apparently.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/breastfeeding-advocates-to-hold-protest-out-sunrise-studio-over-koch-comments/story-e6frfmyi-1226557536676

UP TO 800 angry breastfeeding advocates will converge outside the Sydney studio of the Seven Network's Sunrise program to protest against comments made by host David Koch.
Discussing a story about a Queensland woman who was told she couldn't feed her baby at a public pool, Koch said on Friday he supported breastfeeding, but that women should be "classy'' about it.
The comments prompted an immediate backlash with enraged nursing mothers and other breastfeeding supporters setting up a Facebook page to encourage people to participate in the Sunrise Nurse-In on Monday.
"A nurse-in is without doubt needed at the Sunrise studio in Sydney,'' the page says.
"Join us on Monday morning to take a stand against this unfair view.''

Participants are asked to arrive at 7am (AEDT).
By Sunday 565, people had indicated they would attend the nurse-in, with 228 "maybes''.
The event has gained publicity with media personality and mamamia publisher Mia Freedman condemning Koch's comments on her widely read blog.
Comment was being sought from Seven.

Kochi also said about naturists after my interview with them "What is it about nudists that whenever you see them at the beach they always seem to be playing volleyball?"  Uh....naturists enjoy a far wider range of sports than just volleyball, like beach cricket, tennis, soccer, and a whole load of other activities that they have at annual beach carnivals. 

He's surprisingly astute about a lot of other issues, but when it comes to breastfeeding and nudism I think he needs to grow up a bit in that department.  :)
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 01:54:19 am »
 :3145
nude is natural