Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: "We Need More Relatively Unattractive People to Be Naked on the Street"  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
A recent article in reference to the recent attempt to ban nudity in San Francisco, California, USA.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/01/why-blanket-bans-on-public-nudity-are-misguided/272569/

Offline Bobbert

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: "We Need More Relatively Unattractive People to Be Naked on the Street"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:52:31 am »
Wow, the ideas presented there seem very well considered and thoughtful, and he gets extra points in my book for using the word "grok".

I've been thinking about that idea of people wanting to distinguish themselves from the other animals, and using clothing as a visual method of doing so.  Maybe that is also a reason why some folks are opposed to public breastfeeding.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:54:37 am by Bobbert »

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:17:35 am »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/01/why-blanket-bans-on-public-nudity-are-misguided/272569/. I was looking at my twitter feed and I saw this great article. It makes a great point about why blanket bans on nudity are misguided.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:47:51 am »
A very good opinion piece and a well written argument in support of innocent public nudity.  Also, refuting the attacker on the authority of the Bible itself is the only way to deal with fundamentalist dipshits who abuse scripture to their own ends.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:16 am »
Great reasoned, non-sensationalist article. I also love the majority of sensible debates going in in the comments section too. Thank you for posting this.

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:30:54 am »
A very good opinion piece and a well written argument in support of innocent public nudity.  Also, refuting the attacker on the authority of the Bible itself is the only way to deal with fundamentalist dipshits who abuse scripture to their own ends.

Agreed totally.  I was a fundamentalist Christian many years ago, and most of them were a load of jerks.  They should listen to what Jesus had to say about them: "When I return, many will say to me 'Lord, Lord! In your name did we not prophecize to others, cure the sick and cast of evil spirits from people?' And I will say 'I never knew you! Get away from me you wicked people!' ". 

Seriously, if people cannot look at nudity in an innocent context in many facets of everyday life then there is something very wrong with humanity.  :-(
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"