Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: USA: Louisiana Parish Passes Law That Bans Sagging Pants  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
USA: Louisiana Parish Passes Law That Bans Sagging Pants
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »

In Louisiana's Terrebonne Parish, anyone caught wearing saggy pants that expose their undergarments will be fined. Last week, the Parish Council voted 8-1 on an ordinance that effectively bans young people from wearing their pants below the waist and, in certain cases, exposing too much skin.
As reported by the Houma Courier, on Wednesday, April 10, the council passed the vote and laid out the terms of the ordinance before sending it to Parish President Michel Claudet, who will reportedly sign the law. For first-time offenders, a $50 fine will be imposed. If caught a second time violating the ban, the fine jumps to $100. For a third and following offenses, 16 hours of community service will be tacked on top of a $100 fine.

The ordinance, according to the council was passed a measure of safety. “Appearing in public view while exposing one's skin or undergarments below the waist is contrary to safety, health, peace and good order of the parish and the general welfare,” reads part of the ordinance.
The vote was contested by supporters of the law and those who felt it stripped away a young person's ability to express themselves. “There is nothing positive about people wearing saggy pants,” said Jerome Boykin, president of the Terrebonne NAACP. “This is not a black issue, this is not a white issue, this is a people issue.”

One resident spoke and said while the fashion trend is “foolish,” it shouldn't be made illegal. The lone council member who voted against the law, Chairwoman Beryl Amedee, argued that the law violates the constitutional right to free expression.

From: [size=78%]http://hiphopwired.com/2013/04/15/louisiana-parish-passes-law-that-bans-saggy-pants-fashion-trend/[/size]

Personally? I think it looks silly sometimes and I do try to stay tuned on youth culture, but this, on the other hand?  Yes!  Let them be free!

:63424

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

soccerboss

Re: USA: Louisiana Parish Passes Law That Bans Sagging Pants
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »
 :345678  :345678 :345678

I've seen it all now. . . . . Classic !

Although I think  issuing fines is a bit harse , Nothing wrong with the ruling, IMO, I'm forever telling my lad to pull his strides up .

:909

fsjm2112

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:48:10 pm »
I've never seen anyone wear saggy pants with no underwear so that's a first.

While I do think that in most cases it looks ridiculous, I think fining people because of the way their pants is extreme. What's next, wearing your hat a few degrees off from a certain point is illegal?

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:22:55 pm »
Maybe this picture from Facebook will put them off.

I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

fsjm2112

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »
Haha!

fsjm2112

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
I don't think they are banning people wearing sagging pants because it may be connected to homosexuality. The picture posted was a picture from facebook or somewhere on the net. It doesn't relate to the story.

The people want to ban sagging pants because they think it is distasteful and disrespectful.

While I don't think it's the greatest fashion, banning people because they choose to wear their pants a certain way is ridiculous.

Offline The_Xenologer

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:03:32 am »
I don't think that this legislation is constitutional, since one has a right to dress however one wishes under the First Amendment (assuming you are not exposing genitalia). Telling people that they are gay for sagging their pants is also not the answer in my opinion, especially since it probably wouldn't discourage that many people anyway.

This may be a radical notion, but I actually like the fact that people sag their pants. It allows me to tell right away that this is not a person with whom I wanted to be associated. If someone thinks they're "cool" by tempting gravity with their clothing choices, I don't hold out much hope for the rest of their personality.   
“A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone.”

-Tyrion Lannister

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
saggy pants look awful I agree.
nude is natural