Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: what kind of computer do you have/are you using?  (Read 859 times)

Offline jabber1990

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
what kind of computer do you have/are you using?
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:11 pm »
right now im on my Dell Inspiron, I have a Toshiba Satelite (which I hate) next to me as well, I have an Acer and a dell desktop somewhere in Storage

also, what kidn of computers do you wish you had?

I wish I had a new desktop, why? because I do

Zeraf242

Re: what kind of computer do you have/are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:03:25 pm »
I am extremely pleased with my current laptop.

Samsung Series 7 Gamer

Offline jabber1990

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »
what an awsome wallpaper!

Zeraf242

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »
It has a matching screensaver too.

Offline jabber1990

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »
my screensaver on my Toshiba is a "my pictures slideshow"

I dont have one for this computer yet

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »
I have a Samsung R519. It's not great but it does most things I want it too. I just wish it had a better graphics card etc. so I can play better games. But for a cheap laptop its great and has lasted me a few years now.

If I had the budget, I'd have an Alienware laptop just because they look awesome and are great for games.
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Zeraf242

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
I was going to get an Alien-ware laptop but after a bit of research I settled with my Samsung 7 Gamer. Alien-ware has the most awesome back lighting though.

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:57:03 pm »
Computer? More like computers.
Well, let me check, among those actively in use is my main desktop, a custom-built mish-mash of over a decade of various technologies, everything from a chassis and floppy drive that originally supported a Pentium 2 to a GeForce 400 series graphics card. The old chassis still is sturdy and spacious and saved a new purchase during assembly, so I can live with aftermarket front panel connectors. At its heart there is currently an Athlon 64 X2 whose two cores are running at 2.5 GHz, with 4 GBs of memory to support it. Two hard drives, two optical drives, two screens (one UXGA and one portrait SXGA). It is also equipped with an additional eSATA drive and a TV tuner.
Next is my netbook. Portable, somewhat reliable and great battery life, just what I want in a laptop computer. One of the early 10" models, an Asus Eee PC 1000HE, with an Intel Atom N280 processor running at 1.66 GHz and an 8.2 Ah battery providing 7.2 V. It has served me well whenever I was away from home ever since I bought it after my high school graduation four years ago, and it is still holding, even if some structural weaknesses are slowly developing and the OS is approaching the end of its shelf life.
Now for my smartphone, which to me is more a handheld computer than a phone. How I long for the days of Windows Mobile when those things were called Pocket PCs or PDAs, and a good stylus was easy to come by. But to keep up with progress, one has to buy a device marketed as a fancy phone these days, and this was my choice. With an ARMv7 processor, Flash Player support and Gingerbread, it suits my purposes, but having the features of ICS or newer would have been great.
The newest addition to my family of actively-used computers is my tablet - an Archos 101 G9 which is useful for taking notes, watching videos and having something that is quicker to take out than a laptop computer. I got it because it was quite affordable, I do not have high demands for a fancy tablet and it has all the things I need in one. One with a digitizer would have been neat (as note-taking is a prime objective and capacitive touchscreens are definitely not the best for pen input, which getting a cheap device does not help with), but they are at least twice as expensive even if you score an awesome deal, otherwise three times or more. So I wound up with this device, which is great aside from the fact that getting the touchscreen up to full note-taking performance can take quite a bit of work on bad days.
This does not include any computers that are currently not being used actively, are in storage, critically damaged or not yet set up. Also, only physical machines are included, though I run a small set of virtual ones on my desktop PC every once in a while. Also, only my own ones, not devices technically owned or primarily used by other family members.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

fsjm2112

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »
I have a custom built desktop, nothing crazy but can run most games. I also have a HP envy m6 laptop. Have had 1 small issue but it works great! Definitely not a gaming computer but can do everything else.

Offline Fazer87

• N Forum Veteran
  • Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:11:25 pm »
ok, time to drop my trousrs and compare CPU's ;)

Dual Quad Core i7's, 16GB DDR5, 2 X 1TB 7200RPM Sata's (Raid 1) and a 120GB SSD for Win7 Ultimate x64 on my desktop with dual 2GB Graphics

Dell XPS 15 Laptop - 750GB 7200rpm drive with 32GB SSD Cache, i5, 8GB RAM.

Both machines are USB3, 10/100/1000 ethernet, N+ WiFi (300mbps), bluetooth, DVDRW/BluRay Read and are pretty hot.

Also have a 5 X 1TB (Raid 5 - 4TB) NAS

Offline cpen05

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 6
    • My twitter feed
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:10:50 am »
I have an HP Pavillion g7 that I've had for a few years now and I still love it.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline The Senate

• Retired Staff
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:58:45 am »
Well, right now I am currently using two computers. The first one is my gaming laptop, an MSi GT60-0NE220. It was (and possibly still is) one of the most powerful gaming laptops on the market, and was one of the first to have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M graphics card built in. It is quite possibly the most amazing laptop, and computer I have ever owned in my life, as it is basically just raw power that can consume souls (as my friends and I often joke) XD

The other computer is my old MacBook Pro. I don't use it too often. It is more or less my to go computer, and I use it at home every now and then as well. For now it is only really being used because it is a media horse and houses all my torrents, iTunes files, and other various forms of non-gaming entertainment. The second I figure out how to transfer everything, this will basically be right out the door.
"I love democracy..."

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:18 pm »
I probably have the oldest one here...... IBM Thinkpad T-42 (before they became Lenovo Thinkpads). Only a 40 gig hard drive and 2 gig of RAM (upgraded it myself!   :smiley:  ). It's coming up on 10 years old but works just fine for my needs.....

/oldschool   :tongue:

Those are built to last. You also don't have the heat issue we have in the north (if you just came inside and your laptop is freezing but you start it anyway, the hard disk heats up and expends as it turns which is not good for it). So if you take good care of it, it can indeed last a very long time.

Unfortunately, we're in XP's last year and your T-42 isn't strong enough to run the latest versions of Windows.

So you have one year to make a choice:

- Live with eventual malwares once Windows doesn't get updates anymore
- Get a new computer with Windows 8 (I think you'd hate it)
- Get a new computer with Windows 7 (you might have to pirate it if it's not sold anymore and you'll need the help of a geek friend to turn off "secure boot" so your computer accepts it, will last you 5 years until Windows 7 is end-of-lifed too)
- Convert to Linux (If most of your needs are Firefox and MS Office, you can install all that on it)

Option 3 and 4 seem the best ones to me if you have a geeky friend you can call for help.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Fazer87

• N Forum Veteran
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:34:14 pm »
- Get a new computer with Windows 7 (you might have to pirate it if it's not sold anymore and you'll need the help of a geek friend to turn off "secure boot" so your computer accepts it, will last you 5 years until Windows 7 is end-of-lifed too)
All windows 8 licenses come with downgrade rights now :)  you can buy a windows 8 machine, give MS a quick ring and swap the license key for a valid win7 one :)  They even give you a link to download legitimate install media :)

Offline ToneBender

• Retired Staff
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »
I probably have the oldest one here......

/oldschool   :tongue:

I'm sensing a theme - but... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Acer Quad Core 2.4 GHz - I'll run it 'til it explodes
Some other thing that I don't know or care what it is
Work Laptop - again couldn't give a rat's ass what it is
386dx
and recently bought a beagle bone black