Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Google search results  (Read 207 times)

simonalexander2005

Google search results
« on: September 12, 2009, 01:44:58 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering - is there any way of stopping individual user names from being searched for using google? 'coz at the moment if I search for "simonalexander2005" on google, I find links to this forum - and if friends ever do that search, it could lead to some very... interesting... results...

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Google search results
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:51:44 pm »
Great question.

Offline Danee

• Female Chat
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 133
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:13:09 pm »
Change your login name.  Might work?
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

randomer909

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
Yeh, mine is quite... random :786 :345678, so then friends wont find it :/, U might just have to change your login in Name

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering - is there any way of stopping individual user names from being searched for using google? 'coz at the moment if I search for "simonalexander2005" on google, I find links to this forum - and if friends ever do that search, it could lead to some very... interesting... results...

Given that Google caches the net (it remembers what *was* on web pages) and it uses very sophisticated AI techniques, no it's impossible. Danee's suggestion is good as it will make Google less likely to return your name but nothing can prevent the information from being found as not putting it there in the first place.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:27:51 am »
Hi,

Who's to say they won't be potentially positive results? Might find some have an interest.....

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:30:41 am »
And by the way, what's up with Google's main page? The text and font sizes seem screwed up the past couple days.......  :4235

Nothing changed on that page as far as I know (looks completely normal from here). The change you see does not look like a good sign. Can you make a screenshot?

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:05:57 am »
Google's code on the page is still as simple as ever and display normally in Firefox for me so I'd guess something is broken in your Firefox install. I never saw that problem before, very strange.

Maybe an extension? Does any of your extensions deal with Google?

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:00:36 am »
looks painfully large. I just threw a greasemonkey script linked in that atricle (thank you for the link to that) in that undoes this:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/57449
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »
Hi,

nice that you have friends googling you... thay must be interested in you! of course you could always tell them it must be some othe simon alexander!
:3145 :3145

sa-bi-ne

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »
Aren't there some simple means to exclude searching, like "robots" entries in forum's web pages? Don't know much about it, just guessing if such an entry is "respected" by Google...

Btw, SA.BI.NE seems to be some electronic poker trainer... :657

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 04:35:03 pm »
Aren't there some simple means to exclude searching, like "robots" entries in forum's web pages? Don't know much about it, just guessing if such an entry is "respected" by Google...

Yes. Google do respect robots.txt files. If you tell them not to go to some page, they won't go. It doesn't erase what they saw when the robot directive wasn't there though. The GoogleBot already can't index most of this board because it doesn't log in.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »
there's lots of joeyn 's out there. None are me.

:)