Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nudism numbers in America drop, younger nudists going it alone  (Read 16097 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135

A spokesman for the American Assoc. for Nude Recreation, Tom Mulhall, told media last week the AANR's numbers are shrinking. The association once had 50,000 plus but in recent years have dropped to 35,000.

AANR is NOT a National Governing Body. It is no longer affiliated with INF. 

The solution? Trying to get younger by convincing young nudist to join their more formal nudist organizations. It's not simply to have more naked people wandering around their clubs, Mulhall says, but to ensure the future of nudism.

"Our reaching out to young people is being done, in part, to expand nudists' rights," Mulhall recently told NBC News. "For example, this year they closed Lighthouse Beach (on Long Island) for nude use. We're saying: If you want to protect nude beaches so that when you're older you can enjoy them, you've got to join the movement, too."

Youthful nudists form YNA

One problem appears to be that some younger nudists do not feel so welcome in nudists resorts peopled by the older nudists and many have complained that older nudists are not receptive to them. An example of a point of friction is that many nudist resorts don't welcome nudists who engage in genital piercings, prevalent among the young.

Duh!  Exactly!!! AANR is partly responsible for this. Why? Because even when they were the National Governing Body for Naturism in the USA, they did not behave as such.  No manadated youth positive programs.

Further, the more youthful nudists feel comfortable being naked in less-formal venues, such as remote trails and lakes and on nude beaches in or near cities like Wreck Beach in Vancouver, Canada. They don't need formal venues to be naked.

This..is naturism, not nudism.  And it is what we here are about as well.

Where does this leave the future of nudism in North America? The naked truth is nudism is not dying off, not without a fight. The Young Naturists and Nudists America (YNA) is a club that has 300 members and growing so whether young nudists embrace the established nudism resorts, there is a growing movement for them.

Being naked around a bonfire, on a beach, or poolside in a more formal setting isn't about to go away anytime soon, just ask YNA co-founder, Felicity Jones. She says that it's about a lifestyle that is positive and that will continue to thrive.
"We're trying to teach people how to be more human," she said.

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

INnudeguy

Re: Nudism numbers in America drop, younger nudists going it alone
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:14:18 pm »
 :56789  This don't sound good for people in my age group.  Maybe if the nudist places would let you in at a younger age more would go.

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:23 am »
In this forum there are often -- too often -- ill-informed discussions about the difference between nudism and naturism, with the weight of argument supporting the notion that the two are the same.  This weight of argument results from the fact that the population of this forum seems to be more than 50% in the US and the two terms are used promiscuously there.  But really, the bottom line isn't what you call it, but what you think about it and what you do about what you think.

The situation of declining membership within the AANR should point out the differences between nudism and naturism, even in the US.  The AANR and its most ardent members -- the resort owners -- want to make nudism a commodity, a privilege that people have to pay to enjoy at one of the AANR rest homes.  The AANR has most often distanced itself from the free beach movement as any free places to be naked interfere with the AANR's revenue stream. In sharp contrast to this mercenary position The Naturist Society (TNS) is much in favour of free beaches and, in general, the right to be naked.  To a true naturist nudity and the right to be naked are not commodities.

Props for some folks who are doing it the right way:

http://www.freerangenaturism.com

http://www.naktiv.net/index.html
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:36 am »
The AANR condemn non-secluded nudity under the excuse "The American public is not ready".

More often than not, they're not allied.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Bill

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »

One problem appears to be that some younger nudists do not feel so welcome in nudists resorts peopled by the older nudists and many have complained that older nudists are not receptive to them. An example of a point of friction is that many nudist resorts don't welcome nudists who engage in genital piercings, prevalent among the young.

Duh!  Exactly!!! AANR is partly responsible for this. Why? Because even when they were the National Governing Body for Naturism in the USA, they did not behave as such.  No manadated youth positive programs.

:e4444

Three years ago for my thirtyith birthday I decided I would check out a club up in PA for the weekend with my girlfriend. We checked out there web site and she called to make a reservation, enter clue number one that your not welcomed. When asked if we were married and said no the receptionist tone totally changed but we didn't think much of it at the time. Arriving at the club we stripped in the parking lot as it allowed and encouraged, on the way to the office (clue #2)  we past a hand full of people and said good morning almost non responded they just looked at us.The rest of the weekend went pretty much the same almost no one would give us much more then a hello, being the youngest couple by far me 30 and Sara 28 it maid both of us feel like the bad child made to sit in the corner as all the other guests were at least 50 and up. Although we did meet one very nice couple who we spent most of the weekend talking and hiking with. The experience left us both at the time second guessing the whole idea of going to a club again. I am sure not all clubs and resorts are like this but first impressions leave a lasting impression.

Offline dfx33

• Topless with bottoms
  • Winter is Coming...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »
 :3145

In this forum there are often -- too often -- ill-informed discussions about the difference between nudism and naturism, with the weight of argument supporting the notion that the two are the same.  This weight of argument results from the fact that the population of this forum seems to be more than 50% in the US and the two terms are used promiscuously there.  But really, the bottom line isn't what you call it, but what you think about it and what you do about what you think.

The situation of declining membership within the AANR should point out the differences between nudism and naturism, even in the US.  The AANR and its most ardent members -- the resort owners -- want to make nudism a commodity, a privilege that people have to pay to enjoy at one of the AANR rest homes.  The AANR has most often distanced itself from the free beach movement as any free places to be naked interfere with the AANR's revenue stream. In sharp contrast to this mercenary position The Naturist Society (TNS) is much in favour of free beaches and, in general, the right to be naked.  To a true naturist nudity and the right to be naked are not commodities.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:16:26 am »

Actually, no organisation in the US is at all.

I'm not sure what the INF actually do, I went to their website and it's mostly "Go to your local Federation's site".

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:09:57 am »

Actually, no organisation in the US is at all.

I'm not sure what the INF actually do, I went to their website and it's mostly "Go to your local Federation's site".

It is actually pretty clear.  They are the world governing body and have orgs in most countries. The US did have one, AANR, but they dropped out.  Too much outside stuff I suppose, or *gasp* youth programs or fitness.    The Canadian org is listed for N. America as the recognized body for both the US and Canada now I believe .

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:35 am »

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:50 pm »
It is actually pretty clear.  They are the world governing body and have orgs in most countries. The US did have one, AANR, but they dropped out.  Too much outside stuff I suppose, or *gasp* youth programs or fitness.    The Canadian org is listed for N. America as the recognized body for both the US and Canada now I believe .

It's not clear at all. They do no governing that I see. Local federations are autonomous and organize their own activities and manage their own clubs.

There's no international nudism treaties. They have no say in local laws. And there's no permission to any organisation you need to get to be a nudist or practice nudist activities. They don't exist in most countries either (there a pretty big organisation since they are present in 30 countries but it's not even half the word).

So what the INF do is pretty unclear. I'm sure they do something of value given that all those organisations want to be members what that thing is escapes me.

As for the US being managed by Canada, it's not so. First, clubs still have AANR memberships (even though they are not attached to any global organisation) and the INF is extremely strict on the one federation per country rule.

Canada has two (The FQN manages nudism in Quebec, the FCN manages the rest) and they had to create a bogus organisation whose logo is the ones of the FCN and FQN smashed together and whose website is simply two links to both organisations for the purpose of joining the INF. I doubt the INF would be willing to break its rules for the US. And I doubt US clubs would accept to pay membership to the FCN or FQN.

Once again, I'm not saying they're bad or useless, I'm sure it's the opposite. But I'd be glad if someone told me what they actually do.

Offline chitownnudist

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:13 am »
Just to throw this thread into a whole other direction but what about the clubs/resorts themselves? I mean regardless of any larger body (aanr, tns, etc) how much of the youth decline and there own business decline is on them? They should be on boards lime this and making sure or working with there existing members perhaps to make it easier and more welcoming for younger people. Very simply put if I run a business and I don't make or provide a welcoming/good experience for my customers my business goes away.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 01:54:16 am »

It's not clear at all. They do no governing that I see. Local federations are autonomous and organize their own activities and manage their own clubs.

There's no international nudism treaties. They have no say in local laws. And there's no permission to any organisation you need to get to be a nudist or practice nudist activities. They don't exist in most countries either (there a pretty big organisation since they are present in 30 countries but it's not even half the word).

So what the INF do is pretty unclear. I'm sure they do something of value given that all those organisations want to be members what that thing is escapes me.

As for the US being managed by Canada, it's not so. First, clubs still have AANR memberships (even though they are not attached to any global organisation) and the INF is extremely strict on the one federation per country rule.

Canada has two (The FQN manages nudism in Quebec, the FCN manages the rest) and they had to create a bogus organisation whose logo is the ones of the FCN and FQN smashed together and whose website is simply two links to both organisations for the purpose of joining the INF. I doubt the INF would be willing to break its rules for the US. And I doubt US clubs would accept to pay membership to the FCN or FQN.

Once again, I'm not saying they're bad or useless, I'm sure it's the opposite. But I'd be glad if someone told me what they actually do.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:37 am »

Check their website. The listed organisation for Canada is "Union of the Quebec and Canadian Naturist Federations". If you follow the link to their website, you'll find it's just two links to organisation. One of them do the promotion of nudism (including publishing a magasine) in Quebec and offer membership which give you discounts at member clubs and organises nudist events. The other link is to an organisation that does the same thing in the other 9 provinces. Neither actually govern anything at all beside membership (they could for instance revoke the membership of clubs that aren't quite nudist), they just encourage you to do nude stuff and organise nude stuff. Neither has any US member (both clubs or people).

No organisation is listed for the US.

It's absolutely unclear what the INF actually *do* beside occasional nude activities. I read the "who we are page" but there's no "what we do page" on their site so I'm puzzled about that.

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:38:27 am »
Neither actually govern anything at all beside membership (they could for instance revoke the membership of clubs that aren't quite nudist), . . .

And that is what national governing bodies do, whether for professional groups or for naturists.  They set standards and try to maintain them.  They keep a list of subordinate organizations and members in good standing and cast those who trespass those standards into the outer darkness.  They serve as a clearing house for information of interest to their members.  They, at times, intervene in legal matters concerning their members.  They lobby the government concerning their special interests.  They maintain international contacts with like bodies overseas.

What did you think national governing bodies do, collect taxes and start wars?

It's absolutely unclear what the INF actually *do* beside occasional nude activities.

They do the same sorts of things that national governing bodies do and provide the legitimacy of international standards.  But they don't have a Security Council or send peacekeepers to nudist beaches under threat of invasion.

You may not think that any of this is worthwhile but the fact of the matter is in dealings with lawmakers the legitimacy of having international and national organizations, accepted standards and card-carrying members matter a great deal.  Like it or not, the well-organized collective always receives more attention than the individual.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
And that is what national governing bodies do, whether for professional groups or for naturists.  They set standards and try to maintain them.  They keep a list of subordinate organizations and members in good standing and cast those who trespass those standards into the outer darkness.  They serve as a clearing house for information of interest to their members.  They, at times, intervene in legal matters concerning their members.  They lobby the government concerning their special interests.  They maintain international contacts with like bodies overseas.

What did you think national governing bodies do, collect taxes and start wars?

I have no idea what they do, national federations seem to do all that. I've never seen the INF intervene in anything.