Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Railroading and Railfanning  (Read 197381 times)

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Local Moderator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Railfans
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:29:54 am »
Those are DC class locos aren't they, Daniel?

Yes

hey Daniel do you have any pics of vids of steam loco's ?

Strange as it may seem I don't check my friend's channel he's got some https://www.youtube.com/user/alexandgruntz
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Jake09

Re: Railroading and Railfanning
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:51:20 am »
Yeh I love model railways. My Dad had one as a kid, and now I have one. Had kids trains (Tomy) as a kid. Now I have Hornby HO scale trains. Though they're not set up permanently as I don't have enough room here. But I bring them out at Christmas around the Christmas tree :-)

cc71

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:07 am »
There is a facinating site about NZ raiwlays called Valley Signals.

www.valleysignals.org.nz

Jake09

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 05:26:22 am »
Cool thanks for that site- it did have some interesting stuff on it!

Jake09

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:15 am »
It's great you can take the train. Here in New Zealand we don't have trains for passenger travel. We have goods trains and trains for tourists expeditions (the Transalpine and TransCoastal) but we don't have passenger trains. We have a few in the North Island but our rail networks are nothing like those in Europe. It's so sad...

Offline NudieDaniel

• Local Moderator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:06:39 am »
It's great you can take the train. Here in New Zealand we don't have trains for passenger travel. We have goods trains and trains for tourists expeditions (the Transalpine and TransCoastal) but we don't have passenger trains. We have a few in the North Island but our rail networks are nothing like those in Europe. It's so sad...

That's an understatement but at least the first electric trains are coming into service on the Onehunga line in a few months woohoo

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:39 am »
There's been ongoing debates about bullet trains in Canada - a Montreal-Toronto route and a Calgary-Edmonton route and neither has gained traction but there's an upcoming plebiscite in Alberta so we'll see what happens.

vfherman

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 10:43:38 am »
Any railfans here? I have been interested in railways for years probably because our next door neighbour was a train driver.

I am a huge railfan. I live near CSX's S-Line in north Florida. Drives my wife crazy if I see a green or yellow signal, or hear a train horn.

vfherman

Re: anyone do railroading or railfanning?
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
I really like trains.  Unfortunately we do not get enough of them around here . . . there is no passenger service here except for summer excursion trains.  Mostly I see unit trains of crude oil going to the refinery or LPG leaving the regasification port.  There is some variety, though nothing like you would see in the US Mid-West or out in Alberta.
Confession time . . . a friend and I bagged a freight last summer.   :879  We got all dressed up in camo then hopped a wood chip train and rode it for 270 km on top of one of the loads . . . out of sight of anyone not in an aircraft we didn't get caught.  We had a little picnic enroute and we even did a little naked sunbathing just for bragging rights.  It was a lot of fun and it was really exciting, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.  BIG lecture from my lawyer uncle afterward.

Cross that one off the ol' bucket list.

(It is not my own photo and the power isn't pulling the right sort of cars but it is the right railway)
You're lucky. My wife would have my hide if I done that. Although I will admit, I am still tempted to do it.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Local Moderator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
For Jerry09 and only days to go until Auckland has electric trains in official service :3456

http://transportblog.co.nz/2014/04/24/christchurch-to-use-aucklands-old-trains/

NatureForever

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 02:27:22 am »
I like Zombie Trains on CoD!

cc71

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:43 am »
Hey Daniel

This is what could have been in Auckland: Robbie's Rapid Rail (Robbie being then Auckland mayor Sir Dove Myer Robinson)

www.transportblog.co.nz/2011/12/02/an-auckland-that-could-have-been-the-1972-auckland-rapid-rail-transit-plan/

Also

www.transportblog.co.nz/2010/01/15/the-1974-cbd-rail-tunnel-proposal/

As you can see from the map, Auckland looked less sprawling in 1974.

Most fascinating
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:23:59 am by cc71 »

Offline spipper

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 04:47:52 am »
Love trains! Town I grew up in had two passenger lines going through it, one to NYC and two to Philadelphia, and then all of the abandoned lines, freight lines, and haunted tunnels within driving distance. Love it!

Here's  a cool place to check out for anyone in that area. Spoooooky
http://www.americanghostsandhauntings.com/2011/04/perkasie-tunnel-ghost-train-perkasie-pa.html

Offline NudieDaniel

• Local Moderator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 05:10:17 am »
Hey Daniel

This is what could have been in Auckland: Robbie's Rapid Rail (Robbie being then Auckland mayor Sir Dove Myer Robinson)

www.transportblog.co.nz/2011/12/02/an-auckland-that-could-have-been-the-1972-auckland-rapid-rail-transit-plan/

Also

www.transportblog.co.nz/2010/01/15/the-1974-cbd-rail-tunnel-proposal/

As you can see from the map, Auckland looked less sprawling in 1974.

Most fascinating

I used to know the author of the last post before he became the transport planner for the council and had to give up Transport blog he's doing great work at council but I miss his musings and the last time I saw him was last year walking down Queen St didn't talk to him. Miss you so much Jarbs  :cry:

jboi

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »
I like model trains :-) I have several of the Hornby HO scale trains