Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: US nudists rebuff Israel critics  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
US nudists rebuff Israel critics
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »
Young Naturists America defends its support of an Artists 4 Israel fundraiser to help erect murals in Golan Heights

An American nudist organization is firing back at critics of its partnership with Artists 4 Israel, a pro-Israel group that brings artists to Israel to “offset the fear and destruction of conflict,” according to its site.

Young Naturist Causes and Support Of Artists 4 Israel Golan Project

For the longest time neither Felicity, Young Naturists America nor myself have responded to any of the countless negative comments or ludicrous accusations made by some people (mostly from within the Nudist and Naturist communities).

But something happened when we published the announcement of the upcoming event by Artists 4 Israel. The moment we published the announcement we began receiving all kinds of comments. While most of the comments were supportive, a growing number of them were negative.

So I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the issues. For those of you who are unaware, let me begin by outlining some of the facts:

The Artists 4 Israel event was not created by YNA
The event was created to raise money to be able to to dress up some of the bomb shelters in the Golan Heights
The Golan Heights borders Syria and with all the instability in that country there is a risk that people in Israel, especially in the Golan, might get shelled. This would mean that people (and children) might have to spend time (perhaps days or weeks in the bomb shelters)
The event organizers contacted YNA to see if we could help with finding nude friendly people that would be willing to get body painted naked (not professional models – we were asked if anyone in our community would be interested)
The Artists 4 Israel project aim: “Using art and beauty across the Golan to counteract the fear and uncertainty of attacks from Syria”
Artists 4 Israel is a real organization, and they were approached by the Golan Municipalities.
For the record, I grew up in the northers part of Israel and have had to spend time in bomb shelters. I know how dreary and depressing they can be.

Here are some of the comments we received:

The Golan Heights isn’t on the border with Syria, it’s Syrian territory illegally annexed by Israel.
This group is trying to use art and partying to distract from Israel’s oppressive practices.
A terrible idea that supports illegal settlement and Apartheid!
 There were also far more upsetting comments on Facebook. Some made remarks that insinuated that Israel as a state (and the Jewish population that lives there) do not have a right to exist. Some took it a bit further and insinuated that by default – I (as in myself personally) do not have the right to exist.

For the record I would like to officially say - Screw everyone who thinks that one innocent child’s suffering is less significant than another!

So with that in mind…. Let me just say to those people who made the comments – “You Are Behaving Like Quite The Asses” (and I mean it from the bottom of my heart). To those who singled me out – “I am here and yes I am Jewish – Deal with it!”

None of those people who demanded that we not help out innocent civilians in the Golan offered to create an event to help the people on the other side of the fence.

I would like them to note the following facts:

We never said no to helping out a fundraiser for the people of Syria.
We did not turn down any organization that was legitimately trying to do good in this world.
We have always been supportive of organizations that are willing to accept our values. Especially those that go so far as to incorporate them into a central part of their event.
The interactions with the event organizers has been nothing but warm, respectful and positive.
We are not a big organization, but we do as much as we can and then some! And in an industry that is less than forward thinking or open minded and supportive. So with that in mind… I think it is time for all you hate mongerers of late to put your money where your mouth is. Like my grandmother would say – shit or get off the pot. Go out and create a transparent collaborative event that incorporates and celebrates the love and acceptance we have for people – the human beings themselves. Stop bitching and creating drama because you enjoy ranting in public! Kick the ego out and get to work! If you really care then focus on creating something positive rather than trying to hinder our efforts and creating drama.

Once you have it all together then let us know :) Till then – please behave with respect and note that we are doing what we can, with what we have to send a positive message.

IT’S ALL ABOUT THE LOVE!

Sincerely,

Jordan Blum

Young Naturists And Nudists America YNA

[size=78%]http://nudistnaturistamerica.org/young-naturists-support-artists-4-israel-golan-project[/size]

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: US nudists rebuff Israel critics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:47:11 am »
I can get behind any effort to make life better for people living in a war zone.

IT’S ALL ABOUT THE LOVE!

:e2w

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:36 am »

The Golan Heights isn’t on the border with Syria, it’s Syrian territory illegally annexed by Israel.
This group is trying to use art and partying to distract from Israel’s oppressive practices.

I agree completely, and I don't think that prettifying the Berlin Wall back in the day would have made life any better for the people in East Germany.  Why would anyone imagine that tarting up the Israeli walls would make life any better for people on either side of it? 

Let's go paint big smiley faces on prison walls.  That will make everything so much better.  Not!
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

david85

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »

I agree completely, and I don't think that prettifying the Berlin Wall back in the day would have made life any better for the people in East Germany.  Why would anyone imagine that tarting up the Israeli walls would make life any better for people on either side of it? 

Let's go paint big smiley faces on prison walls.  That will make everything so much better.  Not!

I agree, except for the comparison with the Berlin Wall, since many of the artists who made work with the Berlin Wall were not merely "prettifying" it, but actually engaging with the issues surrounding it. This project, on the other hand, actually seems to be about whitewashing or distracting from any issues around the occupation of the Golan Heights.

It's similarly problematic that Jordan, in his defence of YNA's involvement with this project, chooses to ignore the criticisms that they're facing and lumps them in with the hateful comments he's received rather than than addressing them.

As an aside, I'd like to ask Danee, as I'm quite new to the forums: It's my understanding that one of the rules of participation in the forums is: "2. Please try to refrain from religious or political debates on this forum." It seems to me that middle east politics is about as contentious a political debate as one can find, and the article that you posted and linked two is written from a very clearly biased political position. So, for my own education, what exactly is considered "political debate" in the context of the forums.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »
As an aside, I'd like to ask Danee, as I'm quite new to the forums: It's my understanding that one of the rules of participation in the forums is: "2. Please try to refrain from religious or political debates on this forum." It seems to me that middle east politics is about as contentious a political debate as one can find, and the article that you posted and linked two is written from a very clearly biased political position. So, for my own education, what exactly is considered "political debate" in the context of the forums.

Ahhhh...well stated. Very well stated.  When I read this, I did think of our rules and hoped in posting it, that there would not be an issue. But since you raised the thought, I shall lock it and thank-you for expressing your view. This is what makes this community work. 

:4321
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »
So, for my own education, what exactly is considered "political debate" in the context of the forums.

In a place like the Golan Heights any effort to make life better would help - If I was walking along a street with my groceries and saw a beautiful mural I might (just for a second) forget my problems and enjoy the mural. Granted it's not much but it's something.

Now diving into whether the Golan Height occupation is legal or not... that would be a political discussion best suited for another forum.