Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The naked truth at Arizona State University. (April, 2009)  (Read 14435 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
The naked truth at Arizona State University. (April, 2009)
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »

Being naked isn't too much of a rarity during the college years, but one student has decided to take this a little more seriously.

Roy, whose real name will not be used, is a computer science graduate student. He classifies himself as a nudist and used to model at the ASU Herberger College for the Arts for life drawing classes.

He says while there are many connotations to the idea of nudism, the underlying idea is that clothes are not absolutely necessary. To give those who don't know a crash course on the subject, Roy breaks it down.

“It's the enjoyment of not having to have clothes on — it's sort of an opinion about the necessity of clothes more than anything else,” he says. “I don’t think of it as a lifestyle, I think of it as a clothing style.” Roy says in fact going without clothes can be better in many situations. “If it’s 20 degrees outside, then go put on a jacket,” he says, “but if the day’s really nice, then why [wear clothes] if you're indoors, or especially with swimming.”

There are a few more lessons. Roy explains a nudist enjoys not wearing clothes whereas a naturist focuses on being natural. There is also social nudism and at home nudism, which is pretty self-explanatory. Roy also says not only is there nothing wrong with being naked, but it has a lot of benefits as well.

“It does have positive social and help benefits,” he says. “There's this whole idea of positive body image.” He explains how once everyone has gotten their clothes off, say at a supportive gathering or activity, “One of the things people notice very quickly is that everyone looks a lot alike.”

Another thing to notice: nudists can be anyone. “It could be your teacher or a judge or a random person at a gas station,” Roy says. “It’s a huge cross section of the population; they’re just like anyone, other than the fact they enjoy being without clothes.” He says these are a very, very welcoming kind of people.

Roy has been trying to start a club at ASU for nudists for a few years now. He started the idea back in high school and says he thinks the club would be an enjoyable experience for people (to have) along with the many other positive benefits.

Roy says these kinds of clubs are definitely not unheard of, the prime example being the famous naked parties at Yale.

“I finally got enough interest in students, but an advisor is a different story,” he says.

According to ASU student organizations Web site, in order to be eligible to start a new club, students need a completed registration form, a constitution that outlines how the organization will govern itself, and a roster of at least 3 ASU students and a faculty or staff advisor. Roy has the numbers, but can’t find the advisor, the last step so to speak. If he could start the club tomorrow, there would be four definite members and three or four “maybes.”

Jennifer Stults Krasnow is the assistant director for student engagement at ASU and says the advisor plays an integral role in helping student leaders create an environment within their organizations that is productive, safe, enjoyable, and educational.

“Advisors work with students to make intelligent, fair and reasonable choices within the boundaries established by state, federal and local laws, University policies, and the educational mission of Arizona State University,” she says in a e-mail. “Because an advisor is required per policy, a student organization could not enjoy the benefits of being a registered student organization until an advisor is found.”

In the meantime Roy has launched the Facebook group ASU Nudists. He says he may have to let the dream die when he graduates in December if this idea doesn’t get off the ground. He currently has no protégé in mind.

“I’ll be sad,” he says of graduating before getting the club started. “It's something that I think would be a lot of fun to have — I think it would be a really good social group to put together,” he says. “Beyond that I think it’s a much healthier activity than most of what goes on [in college].”

Roy says the club would be good for nudism in general. Nudists seem to scale toward the older side, so, “if it were a really popular thing to do in a university, it would bring in a younger base.” He says he's unsure of the next step. He's busy with school, and it all depends on the fall semester.

“I’m going to keep fishing around to find a sponsor and more interested students,” he says. Roy says he hopes August may be the time when he can get things moving. “That way, even if I do graduate in December, there will be something going that will actually continue.”

Reach the reporter at lauren.cusimano@asu.edu.

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: The naked truth at Arizona State University. (April, 2009)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:18:29 pm »
“If it’s 20 degrees outside, then go put on a jacket,” he says, “but if the day’s really nice, then why [wear clothes] if you're indoors, or especially with swimming.”
Funny - around here, 20 degrees outside are already at least a fairly nice day. Maybe that is because I am not really living in a hot climate and because we use the celsius scale for thermometers.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »
Interesting story. Are there many Student organizations around right now? I remember there used to be the Longhorn Naturists at UT, but I think they kind of fizzled out.

Joey

Stuart

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 06:46:31 am »
“If it’s 20 degrees outside, then go put on a jacket,” he says, “but if the day’s really nice, then why [wear clothes] if you're indoors, or especially with swimming.”
Funny - around here, 20 degrees outside are already at least a fairly nice day. Maybe that is because I am not really living in a hot climate and because we use the celsius scale for thermometers.

I was thinking that as well - if the forecast says 20 degrees, I'm naked up a mountain!

Spidey87

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:48 am »
Anyone know if this club is still active at ASU?