Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sony Objects to Ellen Page "Nudity" in Beyond: Two Souls leak.  (Read 4972 times)

Jackthenudist

Sony Objects to Ellen Page "Nudity" in Beyond: Two Souls leak.
« on: October 26, 2013, 04:41:06 pm »
It seems even virtual nudity is offensive and must be hidden at all costs.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/22/sony-objects-to-ellen-page-nudity-in-beyond-two-souls-leak

"Following a leak of images showing a nude version of Ellen Page's character in Beyond: Two Souls, Sony has reportedly begun requesting that websites remove any content related to the images.

The images first showed up on Reddit earlier this month, but the original imgur album containing them has since been emptied. Page's character, Jodie Holmes, takes a shower at one point in the game, though no nudity can be seen when the game is played. However, according to Kotaku, alternate camera angles of the scene can be accessed through the game's debug menu -- something which can't be reached through normal play on a regular PlayStation 3 system.

Since then, Eskimo Press and Cinema Blend have reported that Sony PR has requested the images be removed from websites hosting them and stated that the in-game model is not actually the body of Page.

"The images are from an illegally hacked console and is very damaging for Ellen Page," reads a Sony statement shared with Cinema Blend. "It's not actually her body. I would really appreciate if you can take the story down to end the cycle of discussion around this."

This situation is reminiscent of a glitch discovered in Beyond developer Quantic Dream's previous game, Heavy Rain. Under certain circumstances, one of the game's female characters, Madison, could be seen nude.

A much more famous instance of video game content not meant for public consumption being discovered was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' Hot Coffee, something which resulted in the game receiving an Adults Only rating until the content -- a scrapped sex mini-game -- was removed by Rockstar. It also resulted in a class-action lawsuit.

IGN has reached out to Sony for comment on the situation."

How could this possibly be "very damaging" for the actress? It's not even her actual nude body. Also, you can kill people and have all sorts of violence in games, but if a character is seen without clothing it's the worst thing ever.

(This may not be the most interesting article, but it annoyed me.  :tongue:)

Malachite

Re: Sony Objects to Ellen Page "Nudity" in Beyond: Two Souls leak.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:46:51 am »
Honestly, if I were an actor, I'd be more peeved if a body that wasn't mine (especially the blatantly sexualized parodies of the human form that are all too common in video games) was attributed to me than if someone saw me nude. I expect people getting the wrong image of her in their heads could, in fact, be very damaging to her.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:49:10 pm »
There is some more here including pictures(censored) and videos http://www.fastcodesign.com/3020630/ellen-page-is-naked-in-the-uncanny-valley

I don't understand why Sony are so bothered by it. Its just a video game. As realistic as the game looks, its not real.
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
She posed in a motion capture suit. She was not nude at any point. The game developers created a nude version of her, most likely without her consent or knowledge. She more than likely has no image rights to her game image. She has played some edgy roles; Juno and the rollerball one, but she is mostly seen as a sweet innocent teen, she is actually 26.

I think that if the images were created without her consent & and they could damage her future acting career then she should have the right to litigate for defamation of character or something. If she did pose nude and or had knowledge of her nude image being created in the game then it may all be just a publicity stunt to beef up sales. At first, she would not admit to having even posed at all. She said the image and voice just happened to be similar to her, probably at the guidance of Sony and or her agent.

I like Ellen Page, hopefully it won't hurt her career either way.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
She posed in a motion capture suit. She was not nude at any point. The game developers created a nude version of her, most likely without her consent or knowledge. She more than likely has no image rights to her game image. She has played some edgy roles; Juno and the rollerball one, but she is mostly seen as a sweet innocent teen, she is actually 26.

I think that if the images were created without her consent & and they could damage her future acting career then she should have the right to litigate for defamation of character or something. If she did pose nude and or had knowledge of her nude image being created in the game then it may all be just a publicity stunt to beef up sales. At first, she would not admit to having even posed at all. She said the image and voice just happened to be similar to her, probably at the guidance of Sony and or her agent.

Have you seen Hard Candy?

I agree with the last part, I am a huge fan so it would be a shame if it has a negative effect on her career. Hopefully it won't.
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »

I agree with the last part,

I don't. Apparently she was a bitch to my sister in High School - I don't imagine much has changed.
Definitely not a fan.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »
There's a shower scene in the game (but that's common for David Cage games...), but you don't SEE anything. Even though it's not her body, it's still a problem.

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:49 pm »

I think that if the images were created without her consent & and they could damage her future acting career then she should have the right to litigate for defamation of character or something.

I don't even see how that could be the case. The graphics are nice and all, but it's still clearly a video game character and not really her.

Also actors do fake nudity all of the time.  Girls wear strapless bras and are only shot from the shoulders up, guys wear undies are are only shown from the waist up. They use body doubles. Heck lots of times it's the other way around. An actor will use a double who is more fit/toned than the actor but the audience to think it's really how they look under their clothes.

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:08:53 am »

I agree with the last part,

I don't. Apparently she was a bitch to my sister in High School - I don't imagine much has changed.
Definitely not a fan.

Thats sad to hear. Would be a great claim to fame though  :wink:

Riot.EXE

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:18 am »

I think that if the images were created without her consent & and they could damage her future acting career then she should have the right to litigate for defamation of character or something.

I don't even see how that could be the case. The graphics are nice and all, but it's still clearly a video game character and not really her.

Also actors do fake nudity all of the time.  Girls wear strapless bras and are only shot from the shoulders up, guys wear undies are are only shown from the waist up. They use body doubles. Heck lots of times it's the other way around. An actor will use a double who is more fit/toned than the actor but the audience to think it's really how they look under their clothes.

You're severely missing the point, here...

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:02:48 am »

And that point would be?

Riot.EXE

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 09:06:10 pm »

And that point would be?

Start listening at 50:22, and you'll know. The Super Best Friends crew explains it way better than I could.

(and here's some bonus reading!)