General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Pitti's Book Club

Books everyone should read

(1/3) > >>

Dan:
This thread is for books you read you believe everyone should read.

My first suggestion is for The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick.

Mitnick is a social engineer who penetrated the security of the biggest companies, copied the source code of many big programs and similar feats. He was condemned by the court with an exagerated sentence (they counted the stuff he copied as being "lost" by the companies who hosted it, Mitnick did no actual damage). All of this was accomplished through social engineering (manipulating people in doing what you want, giving you passwords, etc.).

He now runs a consulting company to train people to resist attacks such as the ones he was performing and that's the goal of the book too. It's full of credible real-life example that most people would fall for, followed by an analysis on the attack and how to prevent it.

It's really an eye opening book and I highly suggest it to everybody.

Stuart:
"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. It demonstrates how pseudo-science and mumbo-jumbo is becoming more popular in the modern world and tells you how to spot it and avoid it. Its the single best book on the subject I've read, and while I'd suggest everyone reads it, I would actively encourage anyone who intends to go to university to study it.

randomer909:

--- Quote from: Stuart on October 03, 2009, 11:05:46 pm ---"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. It demonstrates how pseudo-science and mumbo-jumbo is becoming more popular in the modern world and tells you how to spot it and avoid it. Its the single best book on the subject I've read, and while I'd suggest everyone reads it, I would actively encourage anyone who intends to go to university to study it.

--- End quote ---
Bdw Stuart, how's that novel you've been workin on comin along?

Dan:

--- Quote from: xgsft on October 05, 2009, 06:37:42 pm ---My vote goes to "The Alphabet of Manliness" by Maddox.
--- End quote ---

Why? All the quotes I heard from it where pretty stupid like this one:

--- Quote from: Maddox ---Listen for a faint whistling noise coming from between her legs, as if wind were passing through a large, hollow cavern. If you hear this sound, your prospective woman may have a condition commonly referred to as 'whore.'
--- End quote ---

Wow! What a great insight on biology! I wonder if other muscles in the body get weaker from exercise!

Dan:

--- Quote from: ImNotThere on October 09, 2009, 07:00:35 pm ---But i think there's also a great and extensive list of books which are not considered classics, but have definitely affected the way people think. for me, some of the most inspirational books i've ever read are:

Joseph Heller's Catch-22
--- End quote ---

I believe Catch-22 is considered a classic.

Of course today classic means "A book no one wants to read but everybody wish they had read." :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version