Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Subversive lyrics  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Subversive lyrics
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:04 pm »
I just found a Britney Spears song (If you seek Amy) with a pun I think is awesome. I'm not a fan of that kind of music which is probably why I found it one year late but I really approve of the lyrics. That said, it would have been much better if she didn't put it in a sentence that makes no grammatical sense unless you figure out the real meaning.

Britney Spears - If You Seek Amy ( Lyrics )

Another song I love in the category obvious hidden meaning is Fox Trot Uniform Charlie Kilo, by the Bloodhound Gang.

Bloodhound Gang
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Nude_not_rude

Re: Subversive lyrics
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:23:14 am »
Interesting. "If You Seek Amy" As she sings it becomes clear. I agree that most of the songs makes no grammatical sense and would fail an english exam, but hey, it's a song and she's using artistic licence to make the point.

The Bloodhound Gang's song 'Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo'. As the lyrics say "I don't wanna beat around the bush" and they certainly don't. It's less a well crafted song than a chance to include every sexual innuendo they can think of in one song. Pretty funny.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:37:59 am »
I agree that most of the songs makes no grammatical sense and would fail an english exam, but hey, it's a song and she's using artistic licence to make the point.

I meant this particular sentence:

But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy.

There's only one way you can understand it, if the "if you seek Amy" made grammatical sense in the sentence, it would be more subtle. I think it's too bad because she was almost there.

The Bloodhound Gang song is well crafted in the sense that it's perfect to bypass the standard censorship and being able to be played on TV despite its content and using the International Phonetic Alphabet was pretty clever.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:35 am »
I got that bit. I think she's trying to cover it in the rest of the song singing about this mysterious Amy. I give her team credit for not simply spelling it out though.

Yeah the Bloodhound Gang song is a cracker! I love those guys.

Offline Kez

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:15:39 pm »
i hate that Britney song, and even though im no fan i think she's done songs with better lyrics than just a clever way of saying F-U-C-K.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are...