Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How to shoot the human form in subtle, classic ways  (Read 7318 times)

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
How to shoot the human form in subtle, classic ways
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:16 am »
Nude photography is one of the most enduring fine art photography ideas, but it’s a fine line between salaciousness and subtlety. In this tutorial we offer our best tips for shooting tasteful nude photography using natural light and a classic black and white treatment.

[All images by Ben Brain]

Photographers have always  been fascinated by the human form and it’s easy to see why – there’s a wonderfully diverse range of shapes, curves and forms to fascinate the eye.

The way in which nudes are photographed can provoke controversy, however, from the sublime studies by Edward Weston, and the erotically charged shots by Bob Carlos Clarke, to the less tasteful alternatives seen in glamour photography.

In this tutorial, we look at how to shoot a tasteful nude photography. There are a few key decisions to consider that can help you set the right mood for your pictures.

Think in black and white as a starting point; it’s a great way to add a fine art edge to your images. We’re also using natural light for more atmosphere.

Strike a pose
How you pose your subject is perhaps the biggest challenge. Start by looking at images from the history of art and photography for inspiration.

The idea of an ‘implied’ nude that isn’t too revealing can often look best. And remember that generally direct eye contact can make a nude look more like a glamour shot.

Every subject is different so start shooting and see how the session and your style evolve. Here’s a few useful tips…

Find a model
If you can’t find a willing friend or partner to pose, try an online site such as purpleport.com or modelmayhem.com. You should find willing models to pose in exchange for copies of the images (TFP). Be upfront about your project, check ID, manage expectations and ensure your model is relaxed

Use natural light
You don’t have to use expensive studio lights – window light can create beautiful and atmospheric shots. Use a reflector to help control the light by ‘bouncing’ it into shadow areas. However, don’t be afraid to let shadows go black or highlights burn out. It can add to the atmosphere.

Pre-visualise your shot
Most DSLRs will let you set the LCD display to monochrome which is a great way to see how your image will look in black and white. Then you can concentrate on the light, form and tones of your subject. If you shoot in raw your original file will still be colour should you change your mind at a later date.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/06/24/tasteful-nude-photography-how-to-shoot-the-human-form-in-subtle-classic-ways/
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: How to shoot the human form in subtle, classic ways
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:12:15 am »
Thanks Buddy! This is a particular interest of mine.

A few good points to consider - especially about eye-contact as such a simple thing can turn an other-wise identical image from simple, natural beauty to glamour. That's not necessarily a bad thing (depending on what you're going for) but something to consider.

I'm hung up on two things right now: lighting I know it when I see it but I can't necessarily set out for a particular effect or achieve it with any special efficiency; and a lack of a model.