Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Any Vinyl and/or Reggar fans?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline lloydspencer

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Any Vinyl and/or Reggar fans?
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:35:46 am »
I have just been introduced into the brilliant world of Vinyl. I have got my fathers Cambridge A60 system set up in my room with a Linn Sonder lp12 turntable. I am having good fun hunting out old records that I like as well as hearing music in a new way.

I am a massive reggae head. Was wondering if anyone on here shared a liking for vinyls or my passion for reggae. Maybe you could let me know what your current favourite artists are? I am currently listening to Christopher Ellis, Bitty Mclean, Alborosie and Culture.

I may even find someone to go to a reggae gig with. PS I am in New york for December 2014 so if there is anyone from there let me know!!!

Offline MustardHo!

• Topless with bottoms
Re: Any Vinyl and/or Reggar fans?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »
I have just been introduced into the brilliant world of Vinyl. I have got my fathers Cambridge A60 system set up in my room with a Linn Sonder lp12 turntable. I am having good fun hunting out old records that I like as well as hearing music in a new way.

I am a massive reggae head. Was wondering if anyone on here shared a liking for vinyls or my passion for reggae. Maybe you could let me know what your current favourite artists are? I am currently listening to Christopher Ellis, Bitty Mclean, Alborosie and Culture.

I may even find someone to go to a reggae gig with. PS I am in New york for December 2014 so if there is anyone from there let me know!!!

Hey man, yeah I'm a big vinyl fan as well, though coming at it from a slightly different slant I guess - usually more interested in collecting from a mixing pov. There's still nothing better than putting on an old Tom Waits or Stones though and hearing the crackle!

It's a prime time to be collecting vinyl as well, though stay away from any places which look too "cool", because they're aware that a lot more young people are into it now and they jack the prices up. I've found my favourite records (and even first/second pressings and stuff) in charity shops, car boot sales, where they're letting them all go for pennies because the people selling don't think they're worth anything anymore.

As for reggae, I'm a fan, but I'm generally more into hip-hop. I like of a lot of Bitty Mclean's stuff though. I've heard some things about Ellis as well, haven't checked too much out though yet, he's had a few tracks produced by Damien Marley right? I'll definitely check out the other guys you mentioned though, thanks! Any other steady favourites? :smiley:

Offline lloydspencer

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »
The ones I have got atm are all from Ebay. When I get some time off work I will do the charity shop and boot fair trips. I was lucky enough that one of my customers (I work as a car salesman) mentioned they had some after we were discussing how I was getting into it and gave me all of theirs. I don't care much for most of their music tastes but managed to get some pink floyd, phil collins and a couple of original Now Music compilations.

Yeah Damian Marley and his brother produce his stuff. I listen to 1Xtra on Thursday with Robbo Ranx that normally introduces me into newish dancehall and Rodigan is always a favourite listen to. I also love my hip hop. I grew up listening to Tupac, Biggie Smalls, NWA, DMX. Haven't really explored much newish stuff. Can you recommend any good ones I should have a listen to?

You might be able to help. I have been trying to find hip hop songs which are quite slow,smooth almost slow rapping. They usually have a classical music backing to them and can be played on skate videos etc while they are on the road. I watched a video ages ago and thought I really like this sort of hip hop but never got the artists name!!!

Have you got Yahoo? I can add you and let you know some good Reggae artists as they come up. Where are you in the UK?

Offline MustardHo!

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »
The ones I have got atm are all from Ebay. When I get some time off work I will do the charity shop and boot fair trips. I was lucky enough that one of my customers (I work as a car salesman) mentioned they had some after we were discussing how I was getting into it and gave me all of theirs. I don't care much for most of their music tastes but managed to get some pink floyd, phil collins and a couple of original Now Music compilations.

Yeah Damian Marley and his brother produce his stuff. I listen to 1Xtra on Thursday with Robbo Ranx that normally introduces me into newish dancehall and Rodigan is always a favourite listen to. I also love my hip hop. I grew up listening to Tupac, Biggie Smalls, NWA, DMX. Haven't really explored much newish stuff. Can you recommend any good ones I should have a listen to?

You might be able to help. I have been trying to find hip hop songs which are quite slow,smooth almost slow rapping. They usually have a classical music backing to them and can be played on skate videos etc while they are on the road. I watched a video ages ago and thought I really like this sort of hip hop but never got the artists name!!!

Have you got Yahoo? I can add you and let you know some good Reggae artists as they come up. Where are you in the UK?

Haha oh man sweet, yeah we need to have a geeky music sesh! The kind of stuff you're talking about is exactly what I'm into, I dunno precisely who you might be thinking about but I'm sure we'll find it - the first thing that came to my head is something like Freddie Joachim? Heard his stuff on some skate compilations before, first time I heard his remix of Mos Def's Mathematics, fuuu -

Those kind of tracks go so well with skate videos yeah, this isn't exactly hiphop, but this has got to be my favourite skate vid/track combo ever - http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/52dda3a79b5fb-here-s-what-s-left-mullen-1984.php. Stick him in fullscreen, man that kid had skills.

I'd never even heard of that 1Xtra slot, that's awesome thanks! Yeah it's probably easier to chat than just list off artists here, I need to get more into reggae so I'm looking forward to some suggestions, I'll send you a message with my details.