Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Au naturel on Kauai beaches  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Au naturel on Kauai beaches
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:06:03 pm »
Some say nudity is freedom of expression, while for others, it’s indecent exposure

Kathy Trout, a body double for actress Brooke Shields, skinny dipped over 30 years ago in the film “The Blue Lagoon,” but throughout most of the scenes, her hair covered her breasts or the camera angles provided discretion.

Today, topless and full body nudity are prevalent not only in films but on beaches around the world — including Kauai.

Brian Essing, a former Kapaa resident who now lives in San Mateo, Calif., expressed dismay with his family’s recent vacation encounter with nude sunbathers at Larsen’s Beach in Kilauea.

“I feel let down by whoever is supposed to patrol the area,” Essing said.
The father of two children, ages 11 and 13, was visiting Larsen’s Beach with his wife, when they came across men and women walking around unclothed.

“We’re not prudes, but I felt annoyed and irritated, particularly for my children,” Essing said.
He noted that there were no signs at the top of the trail warning of the beach being clothing optional.
“It seems like the word is out that Larsen’s is a nude beach,” Essing said. “It is indecent exposure and there is no need for it. It is not entitlement, it’s exhibition.”

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/au-naturel-on-kauai-beaches/article_c938b7a8-af2c-11e3-8939-001a4bcf887a.html

http://history.nudistclubhouse.com/index.php?title=Kauapea

There is no direct road access to Larsen’s Beach on Kauai’s northeastern shore. But the secluded white sandy area can be reached by hiking a short distance down to the two-mile long stretch of shoreline backed by brush and trees.

Another popular spot for those who prefer to leave their swimsuits at home is Secret Beach, also known as Kauapea Beach, north of Kilauea. The long, yellow sand beach offers plenty of space for those who want to feel the freedom of skinny dipping.

In 2000, the Hawaii Supreme Court Judge Simeon Acoba reversed a lower court’s conviction of nude sunbather Maiika Kalama because the court had applied the wrong legal standard and the evidence was insufficient to establish guilt. According to the ruling, “The district court of the first circuit convicted the Defendant of violating HRS 707-734 on the ground that other persons who could have been in the area would have been affronted by Defendants conduct.”

Beth Tokioka, director of communication for the County of Kauai said, “There is no state law or county ordinance specifically banning nudity. The state beaches have a separate administrative rule outlawing nudity, so it is a misdemeanor at places like Polihale and Kee.”
Tokioka added that a nude person could be cited for lewd behavior or indecent exposure under certain circumstances. She said that either local police or possibly park rangers would be responsible for issuing a citation, if the public nudity is in a county park.

Cathleen Fagerstedt has taken in the beaches of Kauai since moving to the island 12 years ago from Northern California, where she knew of a nude beach north of Santa Cruz.

She remembers strolling Larsen’s Beach and seeing an unclothed man, but at the time, she didn’t have her children with her.

“I would like to see the county designate a beach for nude bathing,” Fagerstedt said. “It really doesn’t bother me. If people enjoy getting a suntan without the tan lines, they should be able to have that freedom. They have that sort of thing in Jamaica and the south of France on their beaches, so we should have it on Kauai, too. We are a family-friendly community, but we don’t want to violate people’s freedoms either. We should allow them to express themselves.”

Jack Smith, who moved to Kauai from the Florida Keys over 30 years ago, believes unclothed sunbathing should be accepted as natural. He remembers skinny dipping with his family at Secret Beach, when his boys were children.
“It seems like there is nudity and violence on television everywhere,” Smith said. “Violence is wrong, but nudity should be accepted as natural.”

Essig disagrees.

“There is no need for it,” said Essig. “If it is legal, then yes, I’ll go to Poipu beach and drop my pants. If not, then go down and arrest those people at Larsen’s Beach.”
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Au naturel on Kauai beaches
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:10 pm »
Weird...

Essig disagrees.

“There is no need for it,” said Essig. “If it is legal, then yes, I’ll go to Poipu beach and drop my pants. If not, then go down and arrest those people at Larsen’s Beach.”

Strictly a law and order kind of guy - doesn't seem to have a particular problem with nudism - a stroke of a pen and he'd be happy.

Offline mzissner

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Au naturel on Kauai beaches
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:00:30 am »
Weird...

Essig disagrees.

Strictly a law and order kind of guy - doesn't seem to have a particular problem with nudism - a stroke of a pen and he'd be happy.

that is weird, but i guess some (a lot!) of people are like that about nudism, cannabis, and the like.  it's weird to me too.

i've been to kauai.  we tried to find a proported nude beach called donkey beach (i think).  we found it.  it was secluded but there were a few teenage-ish people AND the beach was covered in broken glass. wonder if the two were related.... but that was 15 years ago.  kauai is so perfect, the whole island should be CO.