Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The difference decades make  (Read 260 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 1
The difference decades make
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:50 am »
Sometimes, it's all the difference in the world:

And sometimes, it's no difference at all:

"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
Re: The difference decades make
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
Our state recently introduced graphing calculators into the math curriculum, to be paid by the students' families of course. Parents are up in arms against those "luxury calculators". Figures they come up with it right at the moment where computers are so ubiquitous that every professional has stopped using those things. The idea is probably that it is easier to have controlled test conditions with calculators than with teachers trying to secure a computer lab if they even have one. But as Jeff Goldstein said (at least in the [noembed][/noembed]): We have to ensure that testing serves education, we have to ensure that education does not serve testing.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
  • Referrals: 0
    • fresh direction
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:51:36 am »
Wow yeah. It's amazing.  I remember having those calculators at school. Now we have phones that are half the size and a million times more powerful. 
what's to say?

Jackthenudist

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »
Remember how mobile phones started out huge, then went small, now they're going huge again. :laugh:

INnudeguy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
Remember how mobile phones started out huge, then went small, now they're going huge again. :laugh:

What goes around comes around.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:41 pm »
Our state recently introduced graphing calculators into the math curriculum, to be paid by the students' families of course. Parents are up in arms against those "luxury calculators". Figures they come up with it right at the moment where computers are so ubiquitous that every professional has stopped using those things. The idea is probably that it is easier to have controlled test conditions with calculators than with teachers trying to secure a computer lab if they even have one. But as Jeff Goldstein said (at least in the [noembed][/noembed]): We have to ensure that testing serves education, we have to ensure that education does not serve testing.

I wonder why there's still not a very powerful and versatile calculator app for mobile devices. Yes, computers may be ubiquitous but sometimes you only have what you can carry in your pocket.

As for TI-* not dying, it's what happens when you have customers that are forced to buy their products no matter it's obsolescence because schools want the exact same thing as last year every year: 80s technology costing a premium.

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:46:38 pm »
I wonder why there's still not a very powerful and versatile calculator app for mobile devices. Yes, computers may be ubiquitous but sometimes you only have what you can carry in your pocket.

http://tydligapp.com/ looks pretty good :)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:28 pm »

http://tydligapp.com/ looks pretty good :)

Only available on iOS though.

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 05:51:56 pm »
Yeah, bit annoying given that I'm an Android guy. Glad that somebody's having ideas, though :)