Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Rob N

• Rob
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
    • Absolute Freedom
Guardians of the Galaxy
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:32 pm »
Having no prior knowledge of this series made this a unique Marvel movie experioence for me. For once I had no prior knowledge of characters or plot to get upset about alterations.
The movie was a blast from start to finish. It had a unique 80`s set of music that went well with the quirky group of characters that made up the group.
Having no knowledge of the characters made it interesting to discover them. I was sad to find that Groot only ever say I am Groot, which could basically mean anything depending on his tone. That was weird. Drax the Destroyer was far more amusing as his race has no concept of speaking figuratively...so almost everything Star Lord said was misconstrued. Rocket was probably the most straight forward character out of the group and was the go to tech guy. Gamorah was a good overall character, but again pretty straight forward. Star Lord was great. He was funny, tough, and smooth wiothout ever taking himself too seriously.
The overall story centered around a rogue Kree who felt the need to kill lots of people seeking out an Infinity Stone which was supposed to be handed over the Thanos. The Guardians come together as opposing individuals who find it beneficial to temporarily work together. As the story progresses they bond into more of a family than a team, and the end result is some spectacular butt kicking of the bad guys.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows the series or has seen the movie? I1d really love to hear how they did sticking to the characters comic counterparts.

Offline David B

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:35 pm »
I will be going to see it later on tonight. I don't know any of the background story of the comic but been excited to watch it after the trailer came out. Will post again after watching it.

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:56:21 pm »
I am ffamiliar with the series so I'm quite excited to see the film when I get back. It looks like they have captured the tone perfectly. 
what's to say?

Offline David B

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:52 am »
I thought the movie was great. It was really fun to the watch, the characters where cool. Thought they did an amazing job with all the CG.

Offline mrj001

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:30:28 am »
I saw it.  It's now my favorite comic book movie ever.  Hell, it's probably the best "space opera" in decades.  Better than Galaxy Quest, way better than the Star Wars Prequels, and a fuck tonne better than the last 6 Star Trek movies.

Like most people I didn't know anything about the Guardians of the Galaxy comic books.  I think I might have heard of them before, but that was about it.  I didn't really pay attention to the movie's production at first.  But then I heard that James Gunn was directing and Chris Pratt was starring and that caught my interest.  But I still thought that this was a huge risk and it might be Marvel's first big flop.  But then the reviews started coming in, and then I saw it on Tuesday, and yeah I was wrong.  Avengers was awesome and Cap 2 was fantastic, and of course the Dark Knight is one of the all time best.  But Guardians of the Galaxy is just so bat shit crazy, perfectly hitting every beat, what with the humour, emotion, action, drama and so much fun.  Yeah, best comic book movie ever.

EJniceguy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:44:21 am »
I now really want to go see it with some friends. Sounds like a fun thing to do on a Friday night, aye?

Offline Rob N

• Rob
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
    • Absolute Freedom
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:21 am »
I'm glad everyone is enjoying this film so much. I agree with mrj001 that it is the best new space movie in ages. I do hope they continue this series immediately.

Gman707: Having prior knowledge of the series I am eager to hear what you think of the movie and how it compared to the comics. Have you had a chance to see it yet?

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »
I went to see it this morning and I have to say I think it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It has no real plot, the characters are 1 dimentional, the effects are dreadfuul and overused, it's very predictable,  there's a lot of convenient things that happen and half of the very thin character motivations make no sense (gamora hates thanos so she abandins the guy trying to kill him). Also, I found the number of unfunny knob jokes became irksome.  I don't understand why people are so excited about this movie. It's basically the expendables in space.
what's to say?

Offline Rob N

• Rob
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
    • Absolute Freedom
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:15:12 am »
I really am glad to hear from someone who really didn't like the film...as without you there really is no real conversation.

Do you normally enjoy comic book movies?

Did you expect a comic book movie in space not to have a lot of special effects?

The plot is the introduction and bonding of a diverse group of shady characters that go from wanting nothing more than money to really caring about each other and saving the galaxy through their combined strength. Also it is a note in the continuing Marvel movie plot that involves Thanos attempting to acquire the Infinity Stones, which in the comics he wore as a set of rings that all together pretty much made him a god.

Their was some immature humor in the film, but I figured that would be part of it based on the trailer where Starlord is standing in the line up using an imaginary crank to give the finger to the guards. Also the quirky use of the song in the trailer, which you would never think to go with this sort of action film, clearly indicated that it was going to be a bit odd.

You specifically mention Gamora hating Thanos so she abandons him and wants him dead as thin motivation. Thanos destroyed her world, killed her family, and did horrible things to her to raise her into a living weapon. Clearly she was not as easily broken as her blue sister was and for all the horrible things Thanos has done to her she wants him dead. That seems very reasonable and not at all thin motivation. If someone did that to me I think I'd want him dead too.

Rocky and Groot are pretty much in it for the money until they realize they have a chance for real family.

Star Lord is essentially a man child who is living life for what he can get right now this moment until he clearly gets feelings for Gamora and also sees that he can have a family among this odd group as well. Then there is the saving the galaxy bit too, which even at his most immature he does have a decent good nature which grows into a real sense of responsibility by the end of the film not only for his new family which he says he will keep out of trouble but for the entire galaxy.

Drax was exceptionally simple much like Rocky and Groot there for his own motivation of revenge until he finds his spot is really with this new family of nuts.

So, yeah, was it Schindler's list, no, but it was a quirky action packed comic adventure that continued Marvel's overall story while adding new characters and dimension to their movie universe. That is exactly what I went to see and loved I think that is exactly what their trailer promised.

What did you think it was going to be like? Did you really want to see it or were you taken along to see it?

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »
I liked the movie. I thought it was better than Green Lantern and better than The Avengers. I do think they could have done a few things to make it less awkward, especially in the very beginning of the movie where basically all of the backstory is non-existent, but overall the movie was decent.

Offline Mark

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am nerd, hear me mumble.
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
I saw it on Saturday. I'm going to be the first to say that it didn't feel like a Marvel movie. On the other hand, it felt like a mix of Star Wars and Final Fantasy. And it was FUN.

A good chunk of my friends now want to cosplay Star Lord, as do I. But as a result, I'm leaning more towards Rocket.
Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed.

Norternmike24

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »
It was a fun origin movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
    • fresh direction
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »
I really am glad to hear from someone who really didn't like the film...as without you treference. ally is no real conversation.

Do you normally enjoy comic book movies?

Did you expect a comic book movie in space not to have a lot of special effects?

The plot is the introduction and bonding of a diverse group of shady characters that go from wanting nothing more than money to really caring about each other and saving the galaxy through their combined strength. Also it is a note in the continuing Marvel movie plot that involves Thanos attempting to acquire the Infinity Stones, which in the comics he wore as a set of rings that all together pretty much made him a god.

Their was some immature humor in the film, but I figured that would be part of it based on the trailer where Starlord is standing in the line up using an imaginary crank to give the finger to the guards. Also the quirky use of the song in the trailer, which you would never think to go with this sort of action film, clearly indicated that it was going to be a bit odd.

You specifically mention Gamora hating Thanos so she abandons him and wants him dead as thin motivation. Thanos destroyed her world, killed her family, and did horrible things to her to raise her into a living weapon. Clearly she was not as easily broken as her blue sister was and for all the horrible things Thanos has done to her she wants him dead. That seems very reasonable and not at all thin motivation. If someone did that to me I think I'd want him dead too.

Rocky and Groot are pretty much in it for the money until they realize they have a chance for real family.

Star Lord is essentially a man child who is living life for what he can get right now this moment until he clearly gets feelings for Gamora and also sees that he can have a family among this odd group as well. Then there is the saving the galaxy bit too, which even at his most immature he does have a decent good nature which grows into a real sense of responsibility by the end of the film not only for his new family which he says he will keep out of trouble but for the entire galaxy.

Drax was exceptionally simple much like Rocky and Groot there for his own motivation of revenge until he finds his spot is really with this new family of nuts.

So, yeah, was it Schindler's list, no, but it was a quirky action packed comic adventure that continued Marvel's overall story while adding new characters and dimension to their movie universe. That is exactly what I went to see and loved I think that is exactly what their trailer promised.

What did you think it was going to be like? Did you really want to see it or were you taken along to see it?

First off, Yes I am a huge comic book movie fan. And yes I was mega excited because I love the comics.

OK lets go through one bit at a time. I expected effects but the effects (particularly the city of nova prime looked dated. Like watching episode one again. Better could have been done with the texturing and lowlights. 

Character motivations I felt were shallow.  Rockets in it for the money? Why? How did he get to that lifestyle? He was just plonked in along with the rest of them. Why was drax in prison? Other than to save them having to think of a way to introduce him elsewhere?  They didn't really properly introduce the characters. It takes all of 5 mins for quills mum to die, him end up in space and there apparently be no repercussions.

I felt the humour was aimed soley at 13 year old boys (he got my dick message! Really? ) and the only line I felt was worthy of a chuckle was the jackson pollock reference. 

I honestly went in expecting avengers in space but the problem was that it is a short movie with a lot going on. Avengers characters had each had two films where their characters were introduced and developed beforhand so avengers could get away with being a two hour fight scene.  Here I got that again without anything to make me care about the characters.  What I got was action I couldn't relate too and a predictable plot (the sisterly showdown whould have been a million times better if she had just been disposed of by the gun without the cliché fight to the death and self sacrifice I was expecting from gabout half way through. )  and who knew? Quill and his new buddies can survive the I finity stone after all.  Didn't see that comingfrom the beginning.

It was telling for me that during drax and ronanas fight, I was rooting for ronan. Just for him to kill them all so I didn't have to ait through another hour of explosions ans knob jokes. Maybe given another film the characters will bbecome relatable but for me the film was just a cartoon with a very thin plot.
what's to say?

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:37 pm »
I am somewhat familiar with the comics. But frankly it wasn't what I was expecting.

Offline Stephen

• Retired Staff
  • Shouting it out loud
  • δ³Σx²
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »
I thought it was an awesome blend of comedy, sci-fi, and action, it's hard to find movies that me and friends can agree on since we all have different tastes.

But the first few minutes of the movie, so many emotions for characters not even fully introduced yet, just wow.