Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Sarong, Destroyer of Naturist Worlds  (Read 7046 times)

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
The Sarong, Destroyer of Naturist Worlds
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:01:50 pm »
Article from the Bare Oaks Blog from the Bare Oaks Naturist Resort in Canada.  Now I suspect there is some hyperbole in this article, but it does pose the question of what happens when you introduce an article of clothing like the sarong to naturism.   Does the addition of fashion "break" what was/is considered "traditional naturism" or is it a harmless piece of clothing to replace a towel. Discuss.

http://www.blog.bareoaks.ca/2014/08/the-sarong-destroyer-of-naturist-worlds.html

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
  • Referrals: 0
    • fresh direction
Re: The Sarong, Destroyer of Naturist Worlds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »
Ive known people wear sarong type things because of female 'troubles' or brcause they need to cover up arousal.  Ive also known people to tie towels round their waist to save from carrying them. If you have to do something like that for any reason,  I can imagine a sarong being more comfortable than a towel as it's lighter.

To me, naturism isn't just about being naked all the tim. It's about being comfortable.  If you feel comfortable with a sarong on then go for it. Sometimes I will wear lounge pants when the mood takes me. Just cos I'm usually more comfortable tackle out doesn't mean everyone is. Wear what you want but accept me doing the same is my attitude
what's to say?

Offline biobruin89

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:06:08 am »
To me, naturism isn't just about being naked all the tim. It's about being comfortable.... Wear what you want but accept me doing the same is my attitude

:3145

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:05:07 pm »
Ive known people wear sarong type things because of female 'troubles' or brcause they need to cover up arousal.  Ive also known people to tie towels round their waist to save from carrying them. If you have to do something like that for any reason,  I can imagine a sarong being more comfortable than a towel as it's lighter.

To me, naturism isn't just about being naked all the tim. It's about being comfortable.  If you feel comfortable with a sarong on then go for it. Sometimes I will wear lounge pants when the mood takes me. Just cos I'm usually more comfortable tackle out doesn't mean everyone is. Wear what you want but accept me doing the same is my attitude

G, thank-you for this.  Its all about comfort and I have done this many times over the years.  It depends on mood and the things you mention to a point as well.

-Danee
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »
I agree it's all about comfort, but I think the author is suggesting that by not going nude all the way, the wearers of sarongs are making those who might otherwise go fully nude uncomfortable.

Norternmike24

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:12 pm »
That may be their intent, but they are a little heavy handed and abrasive about it. Gman has the right idea.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:58 am »
Right, which is why I stated in the original post that hyperbole was involved.  Sometimes you have to shock the reader into paying attention, I guess.  Kind of like how Thomas Swift wasn't truly suggesting the Irish eat their own children in A Modest Proposal

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 01:26:51 am »
...Thomas Swift wasn't truly suggesting the Irish eat their own children in A Modest Proposal

He wasn't!?

:345

I have no problem with sarongs - actually I like them. There were quite a few at burning man and they looked good on both genders.
Depending on how they're worn they can be completely (what's the word?) sheer? Which is more of a fashion accent and can be beautiful as well. As far as introducing fashion into a some sort of utopian naturist world? Too late - haircuts, body trimming, jewelry and body modifications put an end to that eons ago - maybe it's always been with us (back to FKK and beyond like Greece even).
I think they're way too light to be about hygiene - that doesn't make sense to me.
What does make sense are: sensitivity about one's bottom, that time of the month or just not quite ready to go all the way.
Whatever floats yer boat.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:00:28 am »
All fair points Tonebender.  I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before we re-attain the "golden days" of naturism. 

Norternmike24

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »
I don't want to be inflammatory or argumentative but I have too say that modest isn't really any better than a lot of non nudists. I don't see the difference between judging people for wearing something or not as opposed to judging them for what they choose wear. It's a mindset that establishes the same kind of elitism that fashion does, and isn't that far off from body shaming. It's one of the reasons I hopped off the first website I was, Truenudists. I've seen plenty of new nudists get run off of the chat there because they weren't naked ALL the time, or they had never engaged in social nudity(or they weren't women, draw your own conclusions there). There is lots of shaming and status without fashion. If we're going to bring up an issue, let's talk about that and make it more accessible and accepting.

Anyway, I'm bad at phrasing my thoughts and defending my position, plus, if you were speaking in hyperbole then you can ignore my post anyway.  :wink:

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 02:40:50 am »
We're not Truenudists then are we?
No one gets run off here for having a dissenting opinion. At least I hope they don't.
Modesty doesn't bother me either - I'd much rather be inclusive and have all types of people join as they actually are (I don't match any particular ideal myself).

I'd also like to add that one can admire beauty (or fashion as it were) without disparaging others that don't match the ideal. For me it doesn't put people into any sort of pecking order - it just goes toward what's makes them a unique individual.

Norternmike24

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »
 :e4444^

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:27:17 pm »
We're not Truenudists then are we?
No one gets run off here for having a dissenting opinion. At least I hope they don't.
Modesty doesn't bother me either - I'd much rather be inclusive and have all types of people join as they actually are (I don't match any particular ideal myself).

I'd also like to add that one can admire beauty (or fashion as it were) without disparaging others that don't match the ideal. For me it doesn't put people into any sort of pecking order - it just goes toward what's makes them a unique individual.
:3145
what's to say?

Offline biobruin89

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 03:34:24 pm »

:e4444

Offline TheBestYoucan

• Nude with Towel
  • Floppy Happy Sunny Funny
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:02 am »

When I went on my nude cruise I'd wake up every morning, as most men do, with an erection. The two girls I was sharing the room with always wanted to rush off to breakfast so it wasn't long before they suggested I wear a sarong on the way over to the breakfast buffet to let things calm down BUT I can see how the sarong can be a two edged sword.. although a towel could be used for the same purpose I think someone who constantly walked around wrapped in a towel would be more likely to be called out. I guess it's really up to a club or venue to take note of a persons nature and determine why they might be wearing one.
PM me anytime for a chat! :)