Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Big brother  (Read 180 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 1
Big brother
« on: October 19, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »
Ironic and squarely in the "funny because it's true" category.

Big Brother ad by doubleTwist
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Nude_not_rude

Re: Big brother
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:49:04 pm »
So it's just an advertisement for a new competitor for itunes?

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »

It's an ad for an app that lets you sync your data with any device (ipod, cellphone, whatever). And they make a very good point about Apple's control freak nature.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:11 pm »

It's an ad for an app that lets you sync your data with any device (ipod, cellphone, whatever). And they make a very good point about Apple's control freak nature.
:3145

Apple loves to give Windows a hard time, but they are just as bad when it comes to some things.

Joey

Offline Fitz1980

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:11:42 am »

:3145

Apple loves to give Windows a hard time, but they are just as bad when it comes to some things.

Joey

In some respects I'd say that they are worse.  You buy an apple computer and can only run the apple operating system on it.  At least with Windows it's a program that you can run on any number of manufacturers' computers.

That said I love Quicktime and Final Cut Pro (best video editing software in my opinion) but Apple has created an image for themselves as a kind of grassroots underdog that's not really representative of reality.  In truth Apple was a good bit ahead of Microsoft in the 80s but got outmaneuvered when a young Bill Gates realized that the real money was in the operating system.  Apple wanted to make Apple computers that you buy at an Apple Store and run Apple software on exclusively.  Gates realized that people would go for an O/S that could be run on dozens of manufacturer's computers using hundreds of developers software.

But on the Apple/PC debate; here's MadTV's song parody queen Nicole Parker spoofing an I-Pod Commercial.

MadTV  - 1234 by Feist Parody w/ Lyrics [HQ]

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:38:22 am »
Yes, Apple is more evil. Microsoft has some unethical tendencies (like strong arming small companies using their patent war chest) but most of the bad things they do follow Hanlon's Razor (do not attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity or incompetence). Unlike Apple, they don't appear to like suing their fans, do remotely brick their devices if you tampered with them, etc.

Apple is my short list of tech companies I boycott. I hope that people will eventually follow if Apple continues with its anti-customers and anti-developers policies and that Apple will get a second wake up call.

In some respects I'd say that they are worse.  You buy an apple computer and can only run the apple operating system on it.  At least with Windows it's a program that you can run on any number of manufacturers' computers.

You can run Windows on a Mac now because they are just plain old "PCs" now. Of course, this means you can also run OS X on regular computers too. It doesn't support as much hardware so you have to be sure everything is supported and I think you have to crack OS X so the installer accepts to do it but it's certainly doable. We call that a Hackintosh.

That said I love Quicktime

Quicktime is easily one of the software I hate the most. Nothing related to its video playing capacities, it's just so damned impossible to uninstall on Windows because it encroaches itself so deep everywhere.

In truth Apple was a good bit ahead of Microsoft in the 80s but got outmaneuvered when a young Bill Gates realized that the real money was in the operating system.  Apple wanted to make Apple computers that you buy at an Apple Store and run Apple software on exclusively.  Gates realized that people would go for an O/S that could be run on dozens of manufacturer's computers using hundreds of developers software.

Gates got very, very lucky. He's a smart businessman but Window's success is due in large part to luck.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:04:32 pm »
Not a Quicktime fan.

WHy the hell do all the phones and digital video recorders use Quicktime. I can't edit it!

Joey

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »
Apple just asked for a patent for displaying Ads in an operating system (desktop, phone, whatever) that locks all other operations until you watched it in full. Details here.

If there was any doubt about Apple being evil, I think that settles is.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:34:55 pm »
Apple just asked for a patent for displaying Ads in an operating system (desktop, phone, whatever) that locks all other operations until you watched it in full. Details here.

If there was any doubt about Apple being evil, I think that settles is.

ouch

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:51 am »
wow that's scarey. If they did utilise this "feature" I'd definitely be throwing my mac through the windows of the worlds 2nd largest Mac store in Sydney. Hopefully they are just doing it for the reason explained at the end of the article
Whatever your take is, do you really think they would alienate their users with such nonsense?  I doubt it, but I suspect they think that there is some company somewhere that might just be willing to engage in such alienation in the name of advertising revenue, and if they are going to do it shouldn’t they have to pay homage to Apple with a royalty payment?

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:09:17 am »
wow that's scarey. If they did utilise this "feature" I'd definitely be throwing my mac through the windows of the worlds 2nd largest Mac store in Sydney. Hopefully they are just doing it for the reason explained at the end of the article
Whatever your take is, do you really think they would alienate their users with such nonsense?  I doubt it, but I suspect they think that there is some company somewhere that might just be willing to engage in such alienation in the name of advertising revenue, and if they are going to do it shouldn’t they have to pay homage to Apple with a royalty payment?

It's unlikely they do this on the Mac, people would react like you. They wouldn't risk the liabilities for doing this on the iPhone (if someone cannot place an emergency call because of this, they are in trouble) so I would guess it leaves only the iPod.

I seriously doubt the explanation given, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to do that. It has been suggested that Google might do that on their own operating system (being an advertising agency) but it doesn't make sense since Google's OS is open source and it would be trivial for people to release an ad-free version.

Beside, if anyone wants to do that, there's a truckload of prior art and saying "integrated in the OS" doesn't make it different enough from what's being done in the past.

Edit: Also, registering a patent for tech you have no intention of using yourself just so that you can extract royalties from people who do is being a leech of the worst kind.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:12:26 am by Dan »

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:13:02 am »
Hopefully they are just thinking ahead about possibilities and decided to patent it for future reference for possible income from those who do try it, but Apple don't seriously intend to use it.......seriously hoping that's the case.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:16:06 am »
Hopefully they are just thinking ahead about possibilities and decided to patent it for future reference for possible income from those who do try it, but Apple don't seriously intend to use it.......seriously hoping that's the case.

I hope they do. They certainly cannot escape the backslash and will have to revert it and they need the slap in the face.

I don't think they will though.

Edit:

To put things in perspective, I'll make an analogy with Microsoft. I think that Windows 7 is going to be the best OS Microsoft released so far because Vista was such a failure and they could not afford to release two sucky operating systems in a row. Had Vista been just "meh", they might have continued on a path to mediocrity. Apple like Microsoft is too big to fail from one blunder and they are going in an unpleasant direction where they have little respect for their customers and way less for the people developing for their platform. I'd like if they could be shocked into going in the other direction.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:57:35 am by Dan »

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 08:38:28 am »

I hope they do. They certainly cannot escape the backslash and will have to revert it and they need the slap in the face.

I don't think they will though.

Edit:

To put things in perspective, I'll make an analogy with Microsoft. I think that Windows 7 is going to be the best OS Microsoft released so far because Vista was such a failure and they could not afford to release two sucky operating systems in a row. Had Vista been just "meh", they might have continued on a path to mediocrity. Apple like Microsoft is too big to fail from one blunder and they are going in an unpleasant direction where they have little respect for their customers and way less for the people developing for their platform. I'd like if they could be shocked into going in the other direction.
Programmers can escape the backslash without a problem: "\\"
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.