Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dear Abby Is Totally Cool With Your Teenage Sons Showering Naked With Their Pals  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Dear Abby is a very famous advice column that's been published since the ‘50s. Pauline Phillips founded it under the pen name Abigail Van Buren; her daughter Jeanne Phillips took over the column after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. This Abby, it seems, can be a bit of a hippie.

In a column published this week, a nervous single father writing in as STUMPED IN KENTUCKY addresses the legendary Van Buren about something very baffling: his teenage sons' "nude fests."

It's clear that Mr. Kentucky Stump doesn't ask what he's really thinking about this very troubling matter. And Abby doesn't say exactly what she means either. Fortunately, for you, we've taken the trouble of translating their exchange.

DEAR ABBY: I am the single dad of two teenage boys (17 and 18) who are both in high school. I am wondering about something they do with their friends. The boys take showers in large groups. When they come in from running or sports, or if a group is spending the night, they shower in groups of two, three or four. It's not like we have a huge shower — it's normal size.

Translated: The shower has enough room for one salami and two baguettes, not four salamis and eight baguettes. You know, normal size.

I know there's nothing sexual going on because I can hear them talking and joking around.

Translated: I have tiptoed in stocking feet up to the bathroom door, pressed my ears up to the doors. Once—but only once—I even held a glass up to the door.

Okay, three times.   :63424

When I asked the boys about this, they looked at me like I had two heads. They said it was just a social thing and the same as showering together after football in the school gym.

Translated: That one (of three) time(s) I pressed the glass onto the door I heard them laughing and talking about Dick—he's a tight end on the high-school football team. I swear; he's a good kid. AND A REAL PERSON! I even met his parents!

They also "air dry" after showers by walking around in towels, sometimes watching TV or goofing off for hours while in their towels. When going out, they get naked in the bathroom, fixing their hair, shaving, brushing their teeth, etc. It's like a big "nude fest" with them and their friends.

Translated: My sons aren't gay . . . are they?

While I'm glad they are comfortable with their bodies and who they are, it still bothers me somewhat. Am I being a prude in thinking this is unusual or inappropriate? — STUMPED IN KENTUCKY

Translated: Are my sons gay?

DEAR STUMPED: I see nothing inappropriate about what your sons and their friends are doing.

Translated: Maybe your sons are gay, maybe they are not. They might just be playing grown-up doctor with their minds. Keep yours open.

Nor do I want to label you a prude. You are just not as comfortable in your skin as your sons and their "jock" friends are.

Translated: I won't call you a "prude." Instead, I will call you a "never nude." I suspect you should see somebody about your undiagnosed Gymnophobia.

Is it possible that they take after their mother?

Translated: There's no real delicate way to put this, but your babymama's kind of a ho, isn't she?

From: http://gawker.com/5950786/dear-abby-is-totally-cool-with-your-teenage-sons-showering-naked-with-their-friends-you-uptight-prudes

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline JoshVi

• JoshVi
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Trying to be EcoFriendly
  • Referrals: 0
I wanna meet friends like that! :345678
Nudity leads to true freedom!

Norternmike24

This is utterly hilarious. Definitely needed that laugh.

Offline nudistboy26

• Nude with Towel
  • Hi, I'm David
This takes reading between the lines to a whole new level  :smiley:

Offline lord_george

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
 :909 that has made my day.
what's to say?

Offline nzmj

• Nude with Towel
  • Travelling Kiwi nude guy
  • Referrals: 1
Haha, that's cool :)  Yeah, wish I had had friends like that too.  It's funny the father has to ask those questions.

Funnily enough, I've only just seen my best friend (since primary school) fully naked a short time ago - after knowing each other for 20 years and staying at each others places all the time as kids/teenagers/adults! :P  Mind you, certainly never stopped me being naked, he's probably sick of my ass! Lol.

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
nude is natural

Offline biobruin89

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
 :909 beautifully translated! I never knew dear Abby was so progressive!  :2345

Offline Ємαиυєℓ™

• boppity boopy
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel

Offline TheBestYoucan

• Nude with Towel
  • Floppy Happy Sunny Funny
I think I read this article a while back or maybe it was one similar. Seems like it was written by a woman though...so might be different.

So strange how far American culture has changed regarding our attitude towards nudity. A few decades ago communal same sex nudity was the norm. I think the fear or homosexuality has created the prudish nature of same sex nudity that we are seeing today.

I wasn't always naked around my friends in situations that would warrant it but with certain friends I was as I grew up and it really was no big deal. Now all my friends know that I enjoy nudity and at my house, my pool, my hot tub I will be naked. Some take part, some don't, but non complain or say they are "freaked out" about it.

Good translation piece! You should do an article a week!
PM me anytime for a chat! :)

Offline Naturalguy87

• Shouting it out loud
  • Can't PM cuz of a banned member lol
  • Referrals: 10
That was awesome, enjoyed reading it!   :e4444