Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: New Doctor  (Read 8007 times)

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: New Doctor
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 11:55:02 pm »
There is a problem with the current series and its name is Clara. They keep bringing it all back to her and she's BORING. She's too perfect, inconsistent (one minute she knows just what to do or say, the next she needs to be told what to do), being developed too little too late, and EXTREMELY dull. In fact, my brother's compared her to Rose and I agree. She is Rose II Turbo, and Danny is Mickey-Lite. Diet Mickey. Mickey Zero. The stories aren't that great this series either.

Clara is not the best companion for sure, Rose wasn't either (but I liked her anyway). In fact, any companion that's not Donna is not the best companion. :)

But I agree with Karla, the writers are running out of steam and they've been running out since series 7.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »
Buuuuut, on the other hand, mmmmmm. Jenna Coooooleemaaaaannnnnn

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »
Buuuuut, on the other hand, mmmmmm. Jenna Coooooleemaaaaannnnnn

I feel that the mistake they did is to wrap her in a Moffat mystery so when you unwrap it, there's nothing left. Especially since after that event you could as well pretend it never happened because what was meant to be a major plot point apparently has no influence on anything at all.

Previous companions had relationships that grounded them in a larger whole, making them seem more real. Rose had her mother, father and Mickey. Martha had people. Donna had (Wilf might qualify as second best companion after Donna).

Clara had after a very, very long while a relationship that seems contrived with Mister Pink (which I hope will come to North America so we can see if he's a good tipper).

Moffat can't write women. He makes them mysteries, not people.

That's also why even if I thought that for once The Doctor ought to be female, I'm somewhat relieved it's not Twelve, because Moffat could not write her.

Karla

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:03 pm »
Donna was way better than I expected when I heard that Catherine Tate was the actress. I also liked Amy though. Martha had one good introduction episode and then just started whining all the time. She really grated. I found the whole love affair with Rose rather boring. I think you might have a point about Clara not really having much background after the whole 'impossible girl' thing was done and dusted with (and not really fully resolved either, how did they get her out the time stream?).

Moffat used to be better than Russel T Davis because the latter left too many loose strands that weren't explained, but I'm noticing that Moffat has started doing the same. Who were the aliens in Listen for example?

My favourite companion of the original series was Ace. This is the girl that attacked a dalek with a baseball bat and always carried a backpack of explosives around with her. I thought Sylvester McCoy would have made a great doctor if the production values and scripts were up to par.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:32 pm »
I also liked Amy though.

I liked Amy, particularly because unlike Clara she wasn't all about the doctor since she had Rory.

I feel that the writers should have paid much more attention to Rory (aka "The boy who waited about 200 times longer") and not just use him as a foil to Amy.

Moffat used to be better than Russel T Davis because the latter left too many loose strands that weren't explained, but I'm noticing that Moffat has started doing the same. Who were the aliens in Listen for example?

I liked Davis' subtler arcs. By the end of the first series, you were really intrigued about what "Bad Wolf" meant. With Moffat it turns into "Oh... It's the cracks... Again..."

Offline aladriel

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »
Peter Capaldi is so cool but I want see more adventure with John Hurt

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:38 pm »
I only saw the first three episodes of the new series, before I got bored.  Capaldi is alright, but I'd rather want to see him as a potty mouthed, acerbic and aggressive persona as the Doctor. 
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline Gman707

• always up for a chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • happiness is a state of dress.
    • fresh direction
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »
I dont really have a problem with cpaldi. It's the rubbbish writing that has turned me off the show.
what's to say?

Offline J.

• Casually Dressed
  • Hey! Don't look at this! It's personal!
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
The writing style does feel more forced than it used to. Capaldi has been fabulous so far, now we need some good stories to back him up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:26:05 pm by J. »

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »
I still have half the season to watch,  I dropped in the middle.

Offline Harl815

• Female Chat
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:54 am »
Capaldi has the ability to be a great doctor. Better scripts and a new companion are needed immediately!

Offline Stephen

• Retired Staff
  • Shouting it out loud
  • δ³Σx²
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:48 am »
Better scripts and a new companion are needed immediately!

I know, some would say clara is "impossible" to enjoy as a companion  xD

Offline Harl815

• Female Chat
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:52 am »

Offline Stephen

• Retired Staff
  • Shouting it out loud
  • δ³Σx²
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »
This is a little :offtopic of me from such a :nicethread but I would say :hijacked (since I don't want to make a new thread just for this). I would like to point out the irony of a certain bbcode/smiley format.
As some of you may have seen before, there is a new cool smiley :dalek, even though (read the rest of this sentence in a matt smith voice) daleks are very much not cool. It occurred to me, when showing how one would type the code for the dalek smiley (without having to press the "[more]" button for a pop-up, that there is a very ironic way to type it. I wanted to say :dalek without having the smiley appear, so that one can see the code for it.
However, to type :dalek without it displaying :dalek one has to type [nobbc]:dalek[/nobbc]. But the dalek is part of doctor who, which is part of the bbc, so I just contradicted myself by saying nobbc (for those who don't know bbc also stands for bulletin board codes on forums). This has the smell of the daleks all over it.

:justaminute

Offline Zephyr

• Gallifrey Stands
  • Teens Only Member
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 11:52:07 pm »
I can remember the actors of all the Doctors up to now.

The Great Time War came first, I guess, and the Doctor in that time was nicknamed "Granddad" and was played by John Hurt

And in order,

1st) William Hartnell
2nd) Patrick Trouton (sorry if I spelt wrong)
3rd) Jon Pertwee
4th) Tom Baker
5th) Peter Davidson
6th) Colin Baker
7th) Sylvester McCoy
8th) Paul McGaan
9th) Christopher Eccleston
10th) David "Sandshoes" Tennant
11th) Matt "Chinny" Smith
12th) Peter Capaldi