Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Up - Should it be a Childrens Movie?  (Read 2142 times)

randomer909

Up - Should it be a Childrens Movie?
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:42 am »
I went to see the movie Up today and I was very pleased with Pixars latest animation. However, I am wondering if it should really be classed as a Kids movie? I think the storhline is too complex for most 5,6 year olds to follow. The kids would get the adventurey stuff, but I don't think they'd be able to understand the story behind it (he is fulfilling the dream he and his deceased wife had). It is a very funny movie, with some tear-jerking moments (I swear I didn't cry :345678). I think it shows that Pixar can offer films now that are not just for kids, but for all ages, with Wall-E as well. Just not sure if it should be a kids film. Your thoughts please :)

Stuart

Re: Up - Should it be a Childrens Movie?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:03:40 am »
If Doctor Who is for kids, anything can be for kids. Those damn statues scared the crap out of me...

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:05:55 am »
I went to see the movie Up today and I was very pleased with Pixars latest animation. However, I am wondering if it should really be classed as a Kids movie? I think the storhline is too complex for most 5,6 year olds to follow. The kids would get the adventurey stuff, but I don't think they'd be able to understand the story behind it (he is fulfilling the dream he and his deceased wife had).

I don't think it matters if they understand or not, kids that young in my experience like movies just as much when they don't understand them if they are colourful enough. Shrek is a favourite for instance and they can't get most of the jokes. As is Ice Age purely for the squirrel (backstory just doesn't matter).
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:41:22 am »
I went to see the movie Up today and I was very pleased with Pixars latest animation. However, I am wondering if it should really be classed as a Kids movie? I think the storhline is too complex for most 5,6 year olds to follow. The kids would get the adventurey stuff, but I don't think they'd be able to understand the story behind it (he is fulfilling the dream he and his deceased wife had).

I don't think it matters if they understand or not, kids that young in my experience like movies just as much when they don't understand them if they are colourful enough. Shrek is a favourite for instance and they can't get most of the jokes. As is Ice Age purely for the squirrel (backstory just doesn't matter).

Yeah I agree. The colourful animations are for the kids, most of the  jokes and story line are to keep the adults interested. Otherwise they won't be as keen to take them.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:44:14 am »
It reminds me of a movie I saw in a 3D theater about a snowman's war with Santa because he never gets any gift. The story is 100% for kids but nearly everything is a Star Wars parody so adults get something completely different out of it. I thought it was very clever.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:20 pm »
Wow that's a great review Breff!!! Might try to see it now.

NudeBostonian

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:09 pm »
I agree with others that Up is a movie which contains something for everyone. This seems to be the case with most of pixar's movies. Much of the plotline, animation and dialogue is geared towards the young and young at heart. However, all these movies are loaded with one-liners and other references, and montages (such as the man and his wife in Up) which only more mature viewers would grasp. I think it's very wise to make movies in this fashion, not only does it provide entertainment which the whole family can gather around, but it also weaves a certain timelessness into the movie. The preteen that sees up now, can watch it in ten years and have a completely different movie experience.

Eric

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:43:04 am »
Most movies pass way over kids heads, and they simply don't "get" most of it, whether we're talking about a kids movie or an adults movie. Cultural references are obviously lost on them, but the main problem is that their attention span isn't really up to comprehending a two hour movie. They can follow all the individual parts but they don't really put it together like an adult does. It doesn't matter if we're talking about a very simple parable (most early Disney movies) or a relatively complex plot like that of Up.

So I don't see the harm. They'll watch it, enjoy the colorful scenes and characters, laugh at the site gags, then watch it again sometime when they're older and realize everything they missed as a kid.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:36:39 am »
It's easy to see when they talk about the movie after. They always focus on self-contained parts, they don't care much about the plot.

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:27 am »
I think it was meant for an entire family !

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »
UP like all Pixar films is a film for the entire family. Another film that is like Up is Finding Nemo, the story line was for children, yet it definitely had parenting messages for adults. Up is the same way. The children would enjoy the adventure, while adults would understand the back story of why he was going on the trip in the first place.   
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

randomer909

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »
UP like all Pixar films is a film for the entire family. Another film that is like Up is Finding Nemo, the story line was for children, yet it definitely had parenting messages for adults. Up is the same way. The children would enjoy the adventure, while adults would understand the back story of why he was going on the trip in the first place.   
Very Good point! :2345

Stuart

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:45 pm »
I just saw this the other day - I was surprised by the tone of it, especially at the beginning.

The dogs were awesome though - SQUIRREL!

Karla

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 01:37:00 pm »
I have to admit to finding it rather painful to watch at times :(

Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »
It reminds me of a movie I saw in a 3D theater about a snowman's war with Santa because he never gets any gift. The story is 100% for kids but nearly everything is a Star Wars parody so adults get something completely different out of it. I thought it was very clever.

Santa vs. the Snowman?

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!