Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nickelodeon cartoon  (Read 2432 times)

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
  • Referrals: 1
Nickelodeon cartoon
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:19 pm »
Nickelodeon Series Airs Image of Topless Woman

Observant Nickelodeon viewers got a recent glimpse of something they might not have been expecting.

A March 5 episode of the animated series Oggy and the Cockroaches briefly aired a cartoon image of a topless woman sunbathing. A photo of the woman hangs on the wall, just before the show's character enters the room.

Some people have taken to Twitter to express their ire, according to the Daily Mail. One user called the image "inappropriate," while someone else tweeted that "cartoonists have been doing this crap for ages."

In a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter, a Nickelodeon spokesperson said that the network will no longer air the episode. "The scene, which comes from an international acquisition, was unfortunately overlooked in the screening process," the statement read. "We have pulled the episode from our air and online."

Indeed, this is not the first time that animators have been accused of sneaking sexy images into projects aimed at younger audiences. Some parents have previously complained that dust gathers in the air to spell the word "sex" in a scene in the 1994 film The Lion King.

Oggy and the Cockroaches, a French cartoon about a blue cat that lives with three roaches, aired on Fox between 1998 and 1999 and has aired on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons since last month.

Video of the clip can be seen in the article.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nickelodeon-series-airs-image-topless-781550

I think that trying to make such a big deal over an image such as this is, is what makes nudity look so bad. It's this kind of thinking that causes body image problems in kids and the common misconception that nudity is just about sex. Cartoon creators have been sneaking in nude and sexual scenes for as long as they have been drawing cartoons. This image isn't sexual at all, just harmless topless tanning. My guess is that not a single kid that watched the showed ever even noticed it, cared about it, or thought for a second that it is sexual in any way. I don't have a problem with the image just the closed minded way people view it as inappropriate.

natureboy1776

Re: Nickelodeon cartoon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »
for reference

So this is a 15+ year old French cartoon that someone finally notice a nearly microscopic image and got aroused.. I mean offended.

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »
Yes it is a 15 yr old cartoon that was shown on a French Fox channel, but it is just now being shown on Nickelodeon which is what the channel the viewers that are complaining saw it on.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:10:00 pm »
Yes it is a 15 yr old cartoon that was shown on a French Fox channel, but it is just now being shown on Nickelodeon which is what the channel the viewers that are complaining saw it on.

And this cartoon raised no outrage whatsoever in 15 years of reruns until it fell onto Nickelodeon...
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline kenichita

• Casually Dressed
  • Hapa from California
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
Haha that's pretty funny. It's a shame people complain.

Offline Mark

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am nerd, hear me mumble.
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:47:47 am »
I just wonder if anyone saw this and squawked "I'LL SUE!" while putting a complaint in.
Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed.

Offline shineForth

• Fully Dressed
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:31 am »
So let me get this straight... showing kids shows like Invader Zim or Ren and Stimpy, with the crazy crap that happened in those shows is a-ok. But showing them something that's a natural, inoffensive part of human anatomy warrants a nuclear response? The context isn't even remotely sexual for god's sake -- for all we know that picture is a family photo from one of the characters. Really gotta love the US sometimes.  :facepalm:

This is certainly a testament to how much more open France is about this sort of thing though -- I doubt the censors at the time even batted an eye.

natureboy1776

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:42 pm »
How about Bugs Bunny?  Porky pig never wore pants and how many times did Daffy Duck get shot in the face? Ren and Stimpy use to go door to door selling "Rub-her Neep-pels". "Why YES! I would like to buy-- two rubber nipples"

People these days are constantly on the look out for something to be offended by. Seems it is best to "own it" like South Park and just offend everyone equally.

nudistwannabe

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »
So let me get this straight... showing kids shows like Invader Zim or Ren and Stimpy, with the crazy crap that happened in those shows is a-ok. But showing them something that's a natural, inoffensive part of human anatomy warrants a nuclear response? The context isn't even remotely sexual for god's sake -- for all we know that picture is a family photo from one of the characters. Really gotta love the US sometimes.  :facepalm:

This is certainly a testament to how much more open France is about this sort of thing though -- I doubt the censors at the time even batted an eye.

Don't forget that that station aired Rocko's Modern Life as well which had a ton of innuendo.

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:47:58 pm »
Yes Calvin and Hobbs had nudity often. It's what my avatar is, except the girl version lol

Offline Jack Matter

• Hey Guys!
  • Topless with bottoms
  • HEY HEY! Smile - simply cause it's good for you :D
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:10:40 am »
Little things like this have popped up heaps in the past.

Even Disney movies have been known to feature little snippets of nudity in them.
For example, in The Rescuers (a Disney film), there's a topless woman in the background.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp

:laughing

Offline David B

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:36 am »
Also in The Night on Bald mountain segment in Fantasia. some of the female spirits were topless