Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How do I turn off email updates from IYNO?  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
How do I turn off email updates from IYNO?
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »
I'll be working in an office soon, and there may be people occasionally looking over my shoulder. How do I turn off the email updates so I don't have to be concerned about a coworker noticing stuff from INYO?

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: How do I turn off email updates from IYNO?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »
Do not use the same email address for IYNO that you regularly check at work. For instance, many people here use Yahoo messenger for instant communication, if you sign up, you also get an email address.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:30:53 pm »
Do not use the same email address for IYNO that you regularly check at work. For instance, many people here use Yahoo messenger for instant communication, if you sign up, you also get an email address.

In fact, it's best not to use the work address for anything but work.

As for IYNO messages, I just redirect them to the trashcan, haven't seen any in years.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 09:17:17 pm »
I can hardly recommend this as an admin, can I?
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:10 pm »
I can hardly recommend this as an admin, can I?

You shouldn't use SHOULD, or MUST, but MAY is probably acceptable, no? :)

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:52 pm »
You sound like the introduction to some standard right now. Except that SHALL is missing, which SHALL be used for all requirements the standard imposes. Most bodies (IEEE, IETF come to my mind) use MUST only for technical necessities, SHOULD for recommendations and MAY for optional behavior.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
Pretty much the idea.

But it seems a good idea to suggest to people who don't want the mail to filter them out. Otherwise, they could hit « spam » and it reduce your capacity to reach the rest of the people.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:53:05 am »
Go to Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications

uncheck Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic

Remove topics you currently get notifications for and that should reduce the amount of emails you will get from here
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:11 pm »
Thanks for the update, guys. I think I will switch the email address. My new job has us using our personal email accounts for work, since the organization is rather small, hence the need to change some settings around.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:38:48 pm »
That's terrible, as a customer I wouldn't trust a company that does that.

Offline MentaGlaciajxo

• Female Chat
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
    • Pensoj el La Malantaŭa Aŭtoseĝo - Poetry in Esperanto
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:37 am »
The announcements I get in my email say at the bottom than I can unsubscribe in my profile. But I can't find any setting for doing so. I see no reason why members should not be able to unsubscribe from undesired emails, and even less reason for said emails to say you can when you can't.

To send out emails without giving the option to unsubscribe is spamming, and nobody likes to be spammed. Just my two cents.
Why do we drive on the parkway, and park on the driveway?

Jackthenudist

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:40:33 am »
The announcements I get in my email say at the bottom than I can unsubscribe in my profile. But I can't find any setting for doing so. I see no reason why members should not be able to unsubscribe from undesired emails, and even less reason for said emails to say you can when you can't.

To send out emails without giving the option to unsubscribe is spamming, and nobody likes to be spammed. Just my two cents.

I'd rather not get these e-mails either, and the fact you're automatically subscribed is a bit annoying.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »

This.

Being a member here is about communication and we do communicate as we think our members wish to know what is going on with the community.  Saying that, if you do not wish to know, simply change your email address (get a new one for only IYNO things, and read it, or don't)

Thanks.
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline MentaGlaciajxo

• Female Chat
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
    • Pensoj el La Malantaŭa Aŭtoseĝo - Poetry in Esperanto
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 07:18:22 am »
First of all, having to go through weird contortions like creating a new email address, just to stop receiving certain emails, is pretty ridiculous. It's not that I dislike the announcements themselves, I just don't want them in my inbox. Just like I disabled email notifications on Facebook, and go to the site when I want to see the notifications. I don't want everything under the sun in my inbox, especially things that in my situation are sensitive content. I don't see how that is unreasonable. Yes, I can make a filter, and probably will, but it's still more hassle than I want to go through. As you obviously can't force members to receive the notifications, why not just let those who don't want them simply unsubscribe? That has been the universal practice on all other sites I've ever used, and to not provide that option is, in my honest opinion, just plain spammy.

Secondly, my question still stands: why do the announcements include instructions for unsubscribing, when that option is not actually provided? Just to make people feel like they can and hope nobody will actually want to??

Now, I understand I'm not the admin and am not in a position to demand anything. But this issue really does bother me.
Why do we drive on the parkway, and park on the driveway?

Online Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 08:23:41 am »
Part of the issue is due to limitations in the SMF forum software. We use the email notification feature for important notices, like the impending deletion of pre-posters or significant changes to the forum structure, and we want to make sure that such notices reach everyone. At other times, some moderators like to share interesting news that they feel deserve more attention than some topic buried somewhere in the forum would get on its own.
Here is the catch: The forum software we use (SMF) does not distinguish between those two kinds of announcements. We cannot make sure one always gets through while providing an unsubscribe option for the other. Similarly, it is the forum software that adds the unsubscribe link, whether that feature is actually available or not.
I know this is not a perfect solution. There are some internal disagreements on how much newsletter use is right. But right now, splitting the newsletter from the administrative notices would be a pretty invasive surgery in the forum software, and I do not know of a ready-made and tested package that would make such a measure safer to implement.