Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: RIP Satoru Iwata  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
RIP Satoru Iwata
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:14:32 pm »
So... Nintendo's president just died. The first non-Yamauchi to sit on the throne of games, the man who gave us DS and Wii. One of the things I remember about him is this response to Reggie's famous E3 debut where he told he was about kickin' ass, about takin' names and about makin' games:

So, what kind of tribute? Iwata was the mind behind HAL Laboratory, which gave us Kirby and Smash. So playing this song feels appropriate:

Pretty much all my console gaming in the recent years was affected by his hand, and I wonder how things will go on after him.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Riot.EXE

Re: RIP Satoru Iwata
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:13 pm »
Yeah, my peeps and I are definitely pouring one out for him.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:29 pm »
He was an engineer for Nintendo since the early 1980s.

He built much of our childhood.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Mark

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am nerd, hear me mumble.
  • Referrals: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:06 pm »
A 21-Charger salute on Splatoon would be fitting at this point. We've lost a gaming legend today.

On a related note, I wonder what direction Nintendo will go in now?
Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed.

Offline NaturalInNY

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »
Nintendo's not gonna be the same without him.

Offline werecuddle

• Shouting it out loud
  • I'm leaving Guam coz of NoKor
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:44:54 pm »
My best friend Matt was deeply devastated by him leaving.. I think there's even an older Nintendo founder who died few years before his. Forgot his name.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:25 pm »
The founder of Nintendo died decades ago. Nintendo is over 100 years old. Iwata's predecessor, Hiroshi Yamauchi, died two years ago, but he was the third in a line of Yamauchis leading the company. Another important figure in Nintendo's history died in 1997, Gunpei Yokoi, who brought Nintendo into both the toy and handheld video game business.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:19 am »
The founder of Nintendo died decades ago. Nintendo is over 100 years old. Iwata's predecessor, Hiroshi Yamauchi, died two years ago, but he was the third in a line of Yamauchis leading the company. Another important figure in Nintendo's history died in 1997, Gunpei Yokoi, who brought Nintendo into both the toy and handheld video game business.

Cards to Video games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#1889.E2.80.931956:_As_a_card_company

Like Nokia in many ways
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:19:21 pm »
If you are interested in the history of Nintendo, I recommend "Game Over" by David Sheff. Most of what we know about their history comes from the research that went into this book, which criticizes the proliferation of foreign games in American homes, but is worded neutrally enough to allow you to root for them regardless.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:24 am »
If you are interested in the history of Nintendo, I recommend "Game Over" by David Sheff. Most of what we know about their history comes from the research that went into this book, which criticizes the proliferation of foreign games in American homes, but is worded neutrally enough to allow you to root for them regardless.

Does it cover the general rise of Japanese products in the period I'm guessing is being covered here and the fact the quality and price were better than most US and many other nations products. So I guess the acceptance of Japanese made stuff would help Nintendo and Saga and the like because using something from Japanese sounding company was normal and maybe even cool in the 80's. I think one day this will happen with China   
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »
No, it pretty much focusses on Nintendo's various ventures, including Hiroshi Yamauchi's other ventures he undertook trying to expand Nintendo's portfolio beyond playing cards. Including things like taxi services, instant noodles and Yamauchi's personal favorite, hotels that rent rooms by the hour.