Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The overwhelming whiteness of Portland's World Naked Bike Ride  (Read 2725 times)

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
The overwhelming whiteness of Portland's World Naked Bike Ride
Carlos Covarrubias 29 July 2015

Seeing a mass of drunk and high naked white people celebrating their newfound liberty with police officers standing guard is a slap to the face.

Participants at the World Naked Bike Ride. Credit: Demotix/Jeff Rudoff.

I was born naked and brown.

My ancestors on my father’s side were also born naked and brown. They felt no shame for dressing for the hot temperatures of their tribal soil.

But I was not born in the tribal lands of my Central American ancestors. I was born into the whitest of white places: Portland, Oregon.

Over the years Portland has come to prize itself as one of the most liberal cities in America. You can smoke weed, marry a person of the same gender, have a beer at the movie theater, and pay for a cuddle all in the same day. For most people these liberties have come to define what it means to be ‘weird’ and liberal in Portland.

Once a year, in late June, you can even take off all of your clothes and ride your bicycle butt naked to give a big ‘fuck you’ to the world, or maybe just to declare a newfound security in your nudity.

The World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) in Portland is not something that I’ve ever participated in, and although it could be conceivable that as some indigenous ancestral throwback I might want to join in, I sure as hell don’t.

Let me explain why.

Oregon has a history of passive racism. Over the course of Oregon’s short statehood there has been legislation which has prohibited people of African descent from entering the state, Chinese and Japanese immigrants from owning land, and an indigenous population that has been erased from the green pastures of the Pacific Northwest.

Most Portland residents don't know that Oregon, and Portland specifically, also served as the western front for the Ku Klux Klan during its most powerful era, with over 14,000 members statewide circa 1922. The culmination of these factors has helped to make Oregon one of the whitest places in the world.

Given its historical limitations, the naked bike ride in Portland has been an overwhelmingly white activity by proxy, not intentionally, but no doubt as a consequence of historical and structural racism.

White people nowadays didn’t have a direct hand in that legislation or history but should consider taking a moment to recognize how and why Portland is so white. White people should also consider how and why the naked bike ride itself turned out to be such an overwhelmingly white activity.

In 2003 WNBR founder Conrad Schmidt picked up on the idea of using nudity to draw attention to an anti-fossil fuel cause to Vancouver BC, and the idea spread throughout the Pacific Northwest. In 2004 Portland activists picked up the naked bike ride protest model to join in the protest of dependence on blood-oil and the US conflict in Iraq. There is no doubt that the visual mass of naked bodies on the roadway was an effective and shocking method for promoting a political message in a normally clothing-conservative United States. Local and national media flocked to the controversy and the protest gained much praise as a radical action.

Unfortunately in Portland and across the US, the political message of the first American naked bike rides has been lost. Despite continued US involvement in conflict zoned, oil rich parts of the Middle East, the shock and social taboo associated with the nudity of the protest has been re-centered as the focus. Many now participate in the naked bike ride as a proclamation against body shaming and ridding naked bodies of a sexualized stigma, which was a common theme amongst earlier Western European nudist movements.

Ironically, in trying to maintain a degree of radicalism by not purchasing city permits or providing a preplanned route, Portland organizers now force a mass idling of motor vehicles which further exacerbates carbon pollution.

Portland’s naked bike ride has also in recent years been treated as more of a celebration than a protest action, leading it to become a throwback to its pan-European roots. Open drug and alcohol consumption are now a standard expectation within the ride, further expanding nudism as a leisurely pursuit rather than an intentional element of a radical, politically motivated protest.

Portland as of 2015 has had the largest number of participants of any city in the US. The City of Portland itself has not yet attempted to shut down the ride, perhaps because the annual event has become an attention grabbing part of local culture. In recent years it has even been informally facilitated by the Portland Police. Cops now stand guard to protect the bicyclists from angry drivers and pedestrians who find they are unable to cross the 10,000 strong mass of nude bodies, who can take over an hour to pass.

Having the cops involved has discredited the radicalism of the ride and prevented access to it from communities of color. Historically, we have plenty of reason to be distrusting of law enforcement. Even the normally conservative Oregonian newspaper has picked up coverage of the WNBR and published narratives written by participants that describe the range of emotions riders experience in openly exposing their nude bodies to the world for the first time.

Photographs of majority white participants are scattered across Portland’s various news sources and could easily be mistaken for photographs taken at Coachella or the Burning Man festival. This celebratory aspect of the ride has also in recent years brought with it trendy festival fads, including the appropriation of indigenous culture in the form of headdresses and quasi-Native American style body paint and garb.

I have personally witnessed this insensitivity and have consciously decided that this is where I draw the line. Wasn’t nudity always cited as an indicator of savagery by Western European colonizers? And wasn’t nudity often one of the primary justifications for both African enslavement and indigenous tribal genocide? Considering my own identity, I cannot help but be bothered by all this.

After a lifetime of experiencing police profiling, seeing a mass of drunk and high naked white people celebrating their newfound liberty with those same police officers standing guard is a slap to the face.

I recognize that participants in the ride may experience a degree of personal growth with regards to body image and their nude bodies’ relation to the world, but like the indigenous tribes of the Pacific Northwest, the radical message of the ride has been lost to a mass of stark naked whiteness.

Perhaps it is not the kind of whiteness that covers the face with a white hood, but the kind of whiteness which doesn’t even realize that a white hood is covering the face at all.

About the author

Carlos Covarrubias is a Portland-born Chicano, activist, and writer who works with groups promoting racial dialogue and tenants’ advocacy, and resisting mass incarceration and police violence. He has provided federal court testimony on police profiling and is currently working to bring to light Portland's invisible history of Ku Klux Klan influence and fraternization. He tweets @carloscNEPDX.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/carlos-covarrubias/overwhelming-whiteness-of-portlands-world-naked-bike-ride

I'm everywhere and nowhere

Riot.EXE

Re: The overwhelming whiteness of Portland's World Naked Bike Ride
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:19:25 am »
This is very thought provoking.

This is all of nudism, not just Portland's WNBR.

Though, I must say that the Chicago WNBR does have plenty people of color in it (myself included), and the police presence is to protect THE RIDERS FROM THE ONLOOKERS, so I dunno what the hell this dude is on about with the cops being a barrier for people of color. Regardless, this is kinda what I've been saying all this time (as I mentioned on my AMA, and the "discussing racism" thread here) Public/Social nudity is some WHITE PEOPLE shit. It's so fuckin' white, but is that completely white peoples fault? No...but are white nudists doing ANYTHING to make the lifestyle appealing to people of color? No...they're still trying to figure out how to appeal to "the youth", so who the fuck knows, really.

Granted, to me, it's hardly a lifestyle and more just an optional state of dress (For the uninitiated, I don't consider myself a nudist, and actually find the label to be useless. If you want to know why, go find my AMA on here, 'cause I answered that question SO HARD!), so I'm not entirely sure how all these random ass resorts and retreats in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere plan to appeal to people that could easily just GET NAKED AT HOME AND AT LIKE MINDED PEOPLES HOMES FOR FUCKING FREE WITHOUT A MEMBERSHIP...I dunno.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:00:55 pm »
This is very thought provoking.

This is all of nudism, not just Portland's WNBR.

Yup pretty much, unfortunately the answer as to why is very complex and I'm not sure one or even a handful of answers will pinpoint why most nudists are caucasian.

AmericanSwede

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:13 am »
Perhaps it is not the kind of whiteness that covers the face with a white hood, but the kind of whiteness which doesn’t even realize that a white hood is covering the face at all.

It's so sad that everything has to be made into a race issue these days. While the ride, which I was a part of this year, had a majority white people, it also had people of all races. And genders. And sexualities. And ages. And body types.

I especially loved the parents who brought their kids out to the park or the sides of the streets to watch and cheer on the riders. It's nice to know those kids will have a greater chance of growing up with a positive sense of body, and people, diversity.

I rode with a group of friends who are all sober. We wrote our lengths of sobriety on our backs. Lots of great people talked with us about it and thought it awesome. Most of the people participating were not drunk. It is encouraged, and generally respected, that people party AFTER the ride. And even those who may imbibe before or during the ride, do so in a modest way.

The next day, I talked to my family about participating with me next year. They all pledged to do so... from an 18-year-old mother of two niece, her active military fiance of chicano ancestry, my obese white high school best friend, her mulatto daughter (my god-daughter), and my sister who works for the county sheriff. And, like this year, friends from all over the world are planning to join in.

Yet this has to be an issue because some people choose not to participate and then lament that they don't see more of 'their type' participating? To me, all this such whining is simply 'chicken or the egg' and is a total downer to everyone who celebrates the progresses made while striving for more every day/year.

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:49 am »
If a white guy would have posted something similar about other races he would have be labeled a racist immediately. This brown (his word) guy posts this and its considered commentary. If he was so concerned about the numbers of white people in the bike ride, he could have changed the numbers by joining in and maybe bringing some of his brown friends too. Its getting so that you're only a racist if you're a white person otherwise you can say anything and it's like you are the preaching the gospel. People need to get over the race thing all ready and just be humans.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:19 am »
Oh here we go...

Offline Kyle

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:02:18 am »
I can't say I understood his points at all. He didn't exactly make his position clear and jumped from point to point. He just seems to be a race bait-er.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:08 am »
I can't say I understood his points at all. He didn't exactly make his position clear and jumped from point to point. He just seems to be a race bait-er.

He isn't, but he WAS unfocused.

It's so sad that everything has to be made into a race issue these days. While the ride, which I was a part of this year, had a majority white people, it also had people of all races. And genders. And sexualities. And ages. And body types. I especially loved the parents who brought their kids out to the park or the sides of the streets to watch and cheer on the riders. It's nice to know those kids will have a greater chance of growing up with a positive sense of body, and people, diversity.I rode with a group of friends who are all sober. We wrote our lengths of sobriety on our backs. Lots of great people talked with us about it and thought it awesome. Most of the people participating were not drunk. It is encouraged, and generally respected, that people party AFTER the ride. And even those who may imbibe before or during the ride, do so in a modest way.The next day, I talked to my family about participating with me next year. They all pledged to do so... from an 18-year-old mother of two niece, her active military fiance of chicano ancestry, my obese white high school best friend, her mulatto daughter (my god-daughter), and my sister who works for the county sheriff. And, like this year, friends from all over the world are planning to join in.Yet this has to be an issue because some people choose not to participate and then lament that they don't see more of 'their type' participating? To me, all this such whining is simply 'chicken or the egg' and is a total downer to everyone who celebrates the progresses made while striving for more every day/year.
If a white guy would have posted something similar about other races he would have be labeled a racist immediately. This brown (his word) guy posts this and its considered commentary. If he was so concerned about the numbers of white people in the bike ride, he could have changed the numbers by joining in and maybe bringing some of his brown friends too. Its getting so that you're only a racist if you're a white person otherwise you can say anything and it's like you are the preaching the gospel. People need to get over the race thing all ready and just be humans.

Congratulations, you don't understand what "white privilege" is, and are therefore coming off like the biggest assholes that don't get the point he was trying to make (though I will say he didn't really do a good job of it, even though -I- got it.)

Heaven help the mod that tries to censor me right now...heaven help you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:34:28 pm by Riot.EXE »