Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Haunting Nude Photos Bring 1970s Hippie Community Back To Life  (Read 4486 times)

Offline VandyFan08

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/taylor-camp-hippies-kauai_55b090b5e4b08f57d5d3b0d5

I ran across this today as I was flipping through the news and found the photos to be a very interesting jump back in time.  I do find it interesting that the title describes the photos as "haunting," as, to me, they are just neat black-and-white photos of an era gone by.  Anyway, an interesting article that shows nudity in a positive light, even if the photos are from 40 years ago.

Offline Locksmith

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Haunting Nude Photos Bring 1970s Hippie Community Back To Life
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »
I really like this article.  Living off the land must have been a great adventure.  There's a drought where I live right now and the winters are rather cold.  People used to live off the land, but It helped when there were few people and millions of Bison.  Thee camps was around for about a decade, so the viability was there.  There must be similar places now in warmer climates. 

pat9916

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »
The author's choice of words was a bit odd I thought, there is nothing haunting about the photos. They did have a feeling of nostalgia for days past, but if one were to apply a black and white filter to people playing volleyball today you would have the same effect.

Offline skycladsusy

• Shouting it out loud
  • BANNED
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:01 pm »
Living off the land must have been a great adventure. 

Don't skip the sentence about food stamps and welfare. They most likely did fish and farm some but they also got free food and welfare. I'm sure it would have been interesting place none the less.

The hippies and their camps are in the past, but I don't doubt that places still exist where people want to live as free communities not governed by others. 
There are still people who try to by their own ideas and rules and they live off of the land. By today's standards, they are called outcasts, hermits, seclusionists, etc. Watch "The Last Alaskans". It was a short series about families that are the last ones allowed to live in a national forest in Alaska. There was another tv show series (I forgot the name) that followed other families that choose to live a secluded life off of the land, most seemed to be in Alaska.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »
Thanks very, very much for this cool read and updates!  Enjoyed it!

Has anyone not seen a Hippie not having fun or smiling?  Even this modern day one at a festival.  Awesome. 

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline TheNudeBot

• Guy Talk
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:09:11 am »
many of there ideas seemed great but in the bad ones and the less opened minded people of the time the police took opon an illegal (as it has the guy's (Howard Taylor) property not public, making the burning illegal). with this many of it's idea's should be taken into modern veiw, but not all of their views (example the mushrooms) 
Hanging out with everything out

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »
Communes in New Zealand in 1970's even had government support in the form leasing crown land at very low rates these were in far off places usually they all ended but some lasted into the 1990's living off the land is hard otherwise we'd still be doing it. It's not being naked and smoking weed all day.   
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:32:40 pm »
Nudity, treehouses, and Hawaii. What's not to loves???
:)

Offline ToneBender

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:02 am »
I really like this article.  Living off the land must have been a great adventure.  There's a drought where I live right now and the winters are rather cold.  People used to live off the land, but It helped when there were few people and millions of Bison.  Thee camps was around for about a decade, so the viability was there.  There must be similar places now in warmer climates.

I know a woman who is actively trying to start a commune in southern Alberta (Brooks or Drumheller area maybe?). In her prospectus there was specific mention of attempting to be self sustainable and of support for alternative lifestyles (which to me includes naturism). She seems to modeling it off of a hutterite colony. It's a steep buy in but worth considering.

lbee872

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 03:41:26 am »
Interesting photos and read. Its great to see how people can come together and live naturally of the land and amongst each other without any set rules or governemt.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:13 pm »
The resident hippie is listening to how you speak of us.

I saw these photos about 10 years ago and they have provided a significant motivation to how simply we now live our lives.
I may be nude but at least my mind is open