Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Windows 10  (Read 773 times)

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »
Ultimately it's going to be a flavor thing. 10 has better support. 10 works with drivers better. And (if you do a clean install) 10 will run programs faster. Let's not also forget that for gamers out there, it's all about video cards, drivers, and DirectX. When I was with 7, I couldn't use the latest and greatest DirectX. This is also a step moving forward. If people took the time to go through it and really learn about their operating system, the features, and even things to disable, I think they would ultimately like it better.

Let me also clear up my previous thing about the Pro vs Home Edition for 10. The main reason I suggest Pro over Home is the ability to turn off extra data mining features and that you can delay updates. The updates will happen regardless, but they can be delayed to make sure you have everything else working better. My laptop is Home too, so can see it from both angles there.

Lastly, for anyone that actually refuses to go from 7 to 10, do remember one thing. Support. Yah, it wasn't too long ago that support for XP finally ended, but Microsoft has already stated they will not be allowing 7, 8, and 8.1 to go as long. Second, by now you've already given up the free upgrade, so when you will be forced to upgrade (if you decide to keep Windows) you'll have to pay for it. Third, compatability. Many games and programs will drop off support of the older operating systems, as they should, to make their games and programs even better and working with the latest technology. If you hold yourself back, it's your own fault, so make sure that you are ready to upgrade by then and not just complain.

Do note I also dual boot Linux and I LOATHE with a passion, Apple. Call it a monopoly if you will, but Windows is really the only viable option for people that do anything extensive on a computer. So, unless all you do is browse the internet and possibly play some facebook games, be ready to conform eventually.
To bring my own views and experiences into this, I am one of those people whose main desktop will stay on Windows 7 for the time being due to the way Microsoft has been handling their users recently. In an attempt to idiot-proof their system, they have done a lot to alienate power users. The pro version is less bad than the home version, but even it does some things I find upsetting, like still not being able to disable individual updates or control when exactly they are installed, or simply uninstalling software after an update without asking first. That said, there are improvements over Windows 8, like Store app sideloading and windowing.

That said, while I probably will not be "up"grading while Windows 7 is still supported for the aforementioned reasons, I am staying in touch with the new Windows and familiarizing myself with it. My convertible tablet came with Windows 8 and has been running Windows 10 since the OS release. Also, I had activated Windows 10 on my main desktop for a while during the free period, so in case my old motherboard returns from RMA repaired instead of replaced, I will have a legit copy without having to claim one through Imagine Premium if the need to switch arises. I certainly planned for being able to use W10. Speaking of SSD upgrades, by the way, while W7 already profits from them, the benefits are even more evident with newer versions like 8, 8.1 or 10.

Finally, a few nots on the XP end of life. I upgraded my main desktop to Windows 7 practically right when it came out. It did away with a lot of the annoyances and power user unfriendliness of Vista while still offering all of its benefits, like GPU-accelerated desktop management, 64-bit support and a vastly friendlier UAC. Also, many technologies introduced as bleeding-edge with Vista were finally mature. Still, my old netbook retained its XP installation while XP still had support, because I felt it was too weak to handle a modern Windows OS. When support XPired, I switched to Debian GNU/Linux/X11 with LXDE.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.