Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Australia - NSW - River Island Nature Retreat. My "Local" resort  (Read 17360 times)

Nude_not_rude

I try to get here a couple of times a year. The road in can be a bit rough as the last half hour of the trip is on dirt road. The 3km drive from the front gate to the resort is pretty rough and steep, but worth the effort.

Every time I've been there I've been fortunate to meet a number of people my age and younger. People own vans there and they are all friendly. I always pack my camping gear and pitch my tent by the river.

The discos and events days are always fun but if you go there during the week then it's usually hard to find anyone about. The owners are lovely and always welcome me with a warm greeting and a smile. Every time I go, I go for a walk along their tracks into the bush, along the river and up the mountains. There are always an abundance of wildlife to see including kangaroos, wild goats, birds, goannas and the odd snake on land, and in the river you can spend hours just gazing into the water watching the fish and the odd Platypus. There is also a resident wombat who is quite happy walking around the people and just going about it's day.  There are a couple of river crossings to negotiate which are fun when the water is flowing after the rain. You can do the whole day without seeing anyone if you want, but if you prefer company then the area around the pools, spas, saunas, pool tables, table tennis, cable t.v., shop and dining area usually has some people hanging out who are often keen for a chat or an opponent in a game. They do have a volley ball area but I've not seen it used other than on organised weekends. They have a bookshelf full of books to pick up and read if you forgot to bring any also. You can be as social or reclusive as you want.

I highly recommend to anyone who can get there to go. Any Sydney folk who would like to go but can't get there themselves, please let me know and I can let you know when I'm going and you can perhaps hitch a ride with me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:11:07 am by Toddo »

Offline MERRD

• Nude without Towel
  • The Royal Naked One
  • Referrals: 0
    • My Interview on IYNO
Re: My "Local" resort
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:12:38 am »
It sure looks like so much fun! Especially the bottom right picture is a naturist classic and gives me the feeling that I have when I'm naked..
five star for this one :D

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:53:18 am by Danee »
"They found out my degree was less than legitimate"
"I thought you had a bachelor from Columbia?"
"Yeah, so now I need one from America"

Nude_not_rude

Re: Australia - NSW - River Island Nature Retreat. My "Local" resort
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:05 am »
Hey Toddo,

Sounds like a cool place.

Let me know when you might be heading there.

Cheers

Definitely Cj! Will do.

Offline matt1985

• Casually Dressed
  • G'day to all from Australia!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:49 am »
Hi folks

Just wondering about this dirt road approaching the resort. Is it something you should only take on in a 4WD or is any sedan capable of it?

I'm thinking of heading down on Australia Day weekend 2012 and just want to make sure i will be able to get there.

Any tips are appreciated.

Cheers

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:57 am »
Hey Matt, were going down there next weekend if you want to come. As for the track, my falcon does it no worries in dry conditions, but if it's raining I would only use a 4wd.

Australia Day we have a beach day at Cobblers too if you want to come, check the events section for more info...

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:22:16 am »
going to try and get to river island this summer need  some sunny warm weather
nude is natural

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »
It sure looks like so much fun! Especially the bottom right picture is a naturist classic and gives me the feeling that I have when I'm naked..
five star for this one :D

I'm in this picture, it was taken when we were making their promo dvd and doing photoshoots for their website.  River Island is my favourite naturist place in the world :)

Great to hear you've been there and nice work with joining in on the promo stuff. :)

Offline nudetrail

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:24 am »
im yet to make it the last time it rained the day we were going to go
nude is natural

Offline Bas

• Nude without Towel
  • I like to be nude whenever possible. :)
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:22:26 am »
*2015 update*    :wink:

I've been here for two nights during the week at the end of November, and found it fantastic! Even though it's 40km from the nearest town (Mittagong), from which half is a dirt road through the mountains. Quite challenging, but amazing views. The owners are super friendly and will inform you about the conditions of the road. I did fine in a regular Toyota. Just slow your pace and pay extra attention to the narrow roads and you'll be good. From Sydney it's roughly 2-2.5 hours depending on traffic.

The actual nature retreat is HUGE! It's like the complete valley, and you're allowed to hike nude anywhere, camp near the river, etc. They also have cabins and caravans for hire. There are pools and spas and a small shop. I've seen kangaroos, turtles, wombats and various other wildlife, which was so cool. Owner Colin told me that you can get really close to the kangaroos when naked, while with clothes on they run away much sooner. Funny how nature works.

There also is a huge 4x4 area with a lot of tracks. Colin was so kind to take me on my first (nude!) AWD tour and showed me around. A-ma-zing! We travelled paths I considered impossible and drove back up to the mountains. The area is also used to let new owners get familiar with their 4x4 vehicles, which must be great fun for them. They do AWD tours in the weekends, and you can always ask on other days as I did.

No cellphone reach, nor wifi. Completely offline for a few days since ages and it felt good. :)

It was really strange to put my clothes back on at the day of departure. Owners Colin and Katina are not the youngest anymore, but they can be very proud of what they have achieved with their retreat. Started small and extending it bit by bit till what it is now. In my honest opinion one of the best places for nudists to be in the world.

I really hope to be able to travel to Australia again next year, and I'll return here for sure! Needless to say I'd highly recommend this place.  :laugh:

(the picture is me during a hike)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:43:26 pm »
Thanks for the update on this place. I did not know it existed when I was in Oz, but it wasn't a true FKK/Naturist trip either.  What was the mix of people?  Mostly older folks, or where there any families?  I am always interested in researching the 'continuity' factor in the world as far as FKK.

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Bas

• Nude without Towel
  • I like to be nude whenever possible. :)
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:53 am »
When I was there, mostly older folks. I've been told that weekends are really busy, also with families. I'll have to come back one day to check that ;)

Ad1210

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »
Ive been a couple of times.  Really nice spot with decent facilities thats right beside the river.  Seems to be a good mix of people there but generally youll find the friendliest camp rather then stay in the vans/cabins. 
Planning a stay in January if I can manage it.

Offline Mnn69e

• Fully Dressed
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 10:56:02 pm »
I realise that this is an old thread, but possibly worth asking if there is any significant update on River Island?

I’m hoping to book a few days solo camping there mid January, and was wondering if it’s still a good place to go...? I saw an article that it was for sale, though no other info on that, and Colin and Karina (original owners) still seem to be the main contacts... other reviews have been suggesting it’s a little run down and not great... say it isn’t so!?

Thanks everyone ☺️