Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nude Swimming In Public Schools  (Read 3573 times)

Offline cp

• Bare Squad - Moderation Division
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Nude Swimming In Public Schools
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:50 pm »

Great Reading this is..

I especially like the Dear Abby article how surprised the mum was, and then the Answer from Abby about the fact she was more surprised with the fact the 19 year old introduced himself and walked her back to the house... well cool

Almost seems like we have gone backwards :-)

Offline NakedIsNatural

• Topless with bottoms
  • Hi folks, Jake here!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 06:06:01 pm »
Dear Abby's idea that women require a higher degree of modesty than men is quite pointed in my opinion. This sounds like a shining example of sexualizing the female form far more than the male's. The fact that it was perfectly ok for men to swim nude but women had to protect their modesty is a screaming double standard.

Offline Dogoegma

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 09:21:46 pm »
Dear Abby's idea that women require a higher degree of modesty than men is quite pointed in my opinion. This sounds like a shining example of sexualizing the female form far more than the male's. The fact that it was perfectly ok for men to swim nude but women had to protect their modesty is a screaming double standard.

Yes, however one has to remember the culture of the time. The mid-20th century is marked by a reaction to WW2 by being ultra-conservative and conformist. Remember that in human history very few things compare with the many tragedies of that same century, hence people were seeking a "safe-zone" of conformity where they could have peace knowing that things would work out in the end (esp. considering the threat of nuclear winter). People were drawing very heavily from Socrates and Ancient Greek culture in general as a philosophical echo-backlash against contemporary Continental Philosophy (esp. Nietzsche's Existentialism which was blamed for a lot of the ideas surrounding fascism). The Ancient Greeks held very similar views as shown by the manner of thought in this article, and I think that this provides some limited circumstantial evidence for my hypothesis. Worse yet was the fear of communism, which added even more social stress to the already exhausted communities. Communism is no joke, and has many glaring problems and still today is largely responsible (along with fascism) for many of our current geo-political tensions (indeed, many of our problems with the Arab World stem from the heavy influence of the Baath party [which was funded by the Nazis in WW2 to destabilize British colonial possessions], which still cause massive headaches for those attempting reform and stabilization in those areas [as a testament to that fact, Mein Kampf sales are doing well in those regions {although it's success is not limited to said regions}] and from the collapse of the USSR and the high traffic of arms to the Middle East). In short, given that people seek security as level 2 on the Maslow pyramid and that is relatively low on said pyramid, we can see the cultural reluctance to embrace more egalitarian motifs as a response to social stress. Naturally this is merely my opinion.

Offline ailsaman

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »
our school pool requires like swimsuits. like everyone wears speedos but last year some of us did go out to the pool naked for a bit before coach came out and told us to go back to the lockerroom for our suits. it was mostly a dare but it was still kinda a swimming naked at school experience. i didnt know that they used to have naked swim in schools allowed tho. thats pretty cool. swimmin naked just like feels better anyway.

when I first went to school and we had swimming it was always rumoured that if you forgot you kit you had to swim nude but it never happened. in fact if you forgot your kit you usually ended up doing lines or detention

we all changed in one big open area and so you all saw each other naked anyway whilst we were changing and we all had to wear trunks - I think it was school regulation black or blue speedo type trunks, you certainly were not allowed board shorts or anything like that.

When we came out it was all naked for showering, and I can't imagine it happening now, but the teacher would be standing outside as we lined up we all took our trunks off as we went into the showers. It wasn't something we really thought much of at the time and anyway it would seem quite normal that you would shower with nothing on