Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nude Swimming In Public Schools  (Read 60504 times)

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Nude Swimming In Public Schools
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 02:46:34 am »
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Soldyrkare

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 03:35:26 am »
It was a hugely problematic thing for many boys. They weren't only required to do it in spite of not wanting to, they weren't allowed to wear swimming clothes even if they wanted to, and they had to stand on line for a visual inspection before every swimming lesson. There are tons of witnesses on needing therapy because of being forced to do it. It wasn't at all voluntary, it was degrading, and aimed at boys to harden them. Even in that newspaper-article with the title "Dear Abby" you can read her saying:

"Boys do not require the same degree of modesty as girls"

That is so incredibly demeaning toward males and a transgression on them imo. The forced naked swimming only stopped bco protest movements and guys who refused to be forced to stand on line for inspection, being jeered at and belittled by both staff and others around them, and they finally started throwing broken glass into the basins to not have to.

Nudity can be natural and wonderful, but it should always be voluntary, and this shouldn't be romanticised, because most often it was a traumatic event for vulnerable boys who were pushed into something they didn't want to do.

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2020, 02:05:59 pm »
It was a hugely problematic thing for many boys. They weren't only required to do it in spite of not wanting to, they weren't allowed to wear swimming clothes even if they wanted to, and they had to stand on line for a visual inspection before every swimming lesson. There are tons of witnesses on needing therapy because of being forced to do it. It wasn't at all voluntary, it was degrading, and aimed at boys to harden them. Even in that newspaper-article with the title "Dear Abby" you can read her saying:

"Boys do not require the same degree of modesty as girls"

That is so incredibly demeaning toward males and a transgression on them imo. The forced naked swimming only stopped bco protest movements and guys who refused to be forced to stand on line for inspection, being jeered at and belittled by both staff and others around them, and they finally started throwing broken glass into the basins to not have to.

Nudity can be natural and wonderful, but it should always be voluntary, and this shouldn't be romanticised, because most often it was a traumatic event for vulnerable boys who were pushed into something they didn't want to do.

Totally agree with you, horrible. Especially the inspection part, iidk what they did/looked at during their inspectiostbutni can only imagineiit bbeing degrading.kinda like the swedes did to the Sami.

Offline howzer123

• Read-Only
  • Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:52 am »
At least some swimming pools offer nude sessions, but unfortunately there aren't many of them.

Offline Mr S

• What do you do?
  • Nude with Towel
  • Hey guys! Looking to make new friends :D
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 06:04:29 pm »
How long ago was these videos? I can't imagine that my old school would have done that
Today is always THE day

Offline Kuromi

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2021, 12:43:06 pm »
Jesus Christ, this sounds terrifying.

Offline Kuromi

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2021, 05:06:59 pm »
I heard that girls were even allowed to spectate the boys' swim classes during finals when parents of the boys were invited to watch them do their class. I'm not sure if this is true though.

I would not be surprised. Just read through this stuff. Unbelievable.
I wonder if any schools let 5he girls do this as well... there's usually a false negativity to females in any of these kind of regards
The boys often had female instructors as well. 
This ran (for real) in September, 1970, when I was 17, before my senior year in high school.  I could well have been that 17-year-old brother; I would have been very relaxed about being nude with the adults and the girls.  Of course, by then I had been thoroughly sexualized.

I can't imagine putting myself in those boys' shoes. Having to strip naked in front of your peers and teachers of opposite sex, and you can't do anything about it. I can imagine how many suicides or mental traumas can be attributed to that.

Offline Kuromi

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 05:37:46 pm »
The theory is that it was done to make the boys less modest for drafted military service since they wouldn't have private showers there. Doesn't make it any less horrible though.
I don't think showering in the military is different from simply showering after the pool. Also doesn't explain why they would allow girls to hang out with boys or female teachers, it's not like there would be girls watching you in the army. It just sounds like some crook though it would be a good idea and it somehow got traction.

Offline timnudist

• Naked is Natural !
  • Guy Talk
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Be pround to be a Nudist !
  • Referrals: 9
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 07:08:31 pm »
Just watched all the videos.. this is really excellent, well researched.  I talked to my garnd dad about this and he confirms that he swam nude in hich school here in Indiana
I LOVE to be naked !

Offline Fitness1617

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 08:20:26 am »
Really interesting, I never knew about this. But I agree with the sentiment of others that this is wrong. Nudity should be celebrated, not forced.

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Free ballin'!
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2022, 07:43:20 pm »
Ironically, one of my biggest fears while entering HS was the thought of being forced to shower with other boys after gym class.  I wasn't alone with this fear.  I expressed this feeling to some of my closest friends, and they too felt the same sense of dread. Truth is, the only reason we were even aware of this being a possibility is because our dads talked to us about it.  While our dads tried to assure us that nudity among peers was 'normal' and that we'd quickly get over it, the reassurance didn't matter.  Like most boys my age, I was insanely modest and insecure about my own body. Adding salt to the wound was also the fact that I was a late bloomer who just wrapped up a hellish 3 years in middle school. 

So you could imagine how much of a nervous wreck I was during the first day of gym in highschool.  So towards the end of the first day of gym class, the coaches laid out the outfits that we'd have to wear from then on.  By this point, I looked at the clock and noticed there was still a lot of time left before we beginning of the next class.  Plenty of time to accommodate the dreaded shower session. I figured this was the moment when my greatest fear was about to be realized and braced for it.  As predicted, the coaches wrapped up the first class and then commented on showering.  Much to my RELIEF... they said it was optional and not mandatory.  Bruh, you could almost feel the tension from the other kids release all at once. 

It's only in hindsight, after discovering naturism and coming more to terms with nudity, that I look back and wish I had a somewhat different childhood experience.  But even then, I firmly believe that social nudity is best when you're introduced to it at a very early age. I observed this cultural behavior in some of the nordic countries and I believe South Korea is pretty good about this as well.  In certain places, like a shower or sauna, it's more or less expected in many parts of those respective countries.  This introduces people to nudity at a very young age, which in turn makes them realize that it's no big deal, which gives them a fairly healthy and grounded perspective of the human body, which allows them to grow up without the same anxiety and or sexual associations with it that many millions (billions) of people do! 

It's an interesting topic, fo' sho'. 

Offline iHateClothes

• BANNED
  • Nude without Towel
  • Banned for being a jerk to others
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 11:34:15 pm »
What really surprises me is the internet's denial of such events. It seems obvious to me that this was the case then, but look through google and you will find countless boards DEBATING the existence of mandated skinny dipping. Truly fascinating IMO. Think about it, there is a large enough cultural barrier such that the very notion of swimming naturally is seen as impossible to some. Personally I think that we should advocate to bring this system back (although for both genders), we might even be able to save money on filtration systems (if indeed that is a problem, but hey every little bit helps right?).

It's a nice idea, but that ship has sailed. Our culture as a whole has moved past comfort with casual nudity, even with the same gender. However, in other ways it's advancing, such as with the growing topfreedom movement. It's possible that we'll return to that state, but it won't be anytime soon nor will nudging it towards nudity help. Just wait patiently.
Overall I agree on that, but instead of just waiting patiently I'd suggest taking some actions including stretching the silly law situations by ignoring some dumb restrictions and organising ourselves, naturists, into nude beaches or other places / events. I mean, waiting patiently PLUS living our lives the way we want them to be like, at least to some extent.

Waiting patiently is what has caused us to lose our beaches, get out events canceled, and out social media accounts banned. Enough!!! If you're a nudist you need to realize that acceptance won't just give itself to us. We have to earn it.
Nudity is a human right.

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2022, 03:15:13 am »
Ironically, one of my biggest fears while entering HS was the thought of being forced to shower with other boys after gym class.  I wasn't alone with this fear.  I expressed this feeling to some of my closest friends, and they too felt the same sense of dread. Truth is, the only reason we were even aware of this being a possibility is because our dads talked to us about it.  While our dads tried to assure us that nudity among peers was 'normal' and that we'd quickly get over it, the reassurance didn't matter.  Like most boys my age, I was insanely modest and insecure about my own body. Adding salt to the wound was also the fact that I was a late bloomer who just wrapped up a hellish 3 years in middle school. 

So you could imagine how much of a nervous wreck I was during the first day of gym in highschool.  So towards the end of the first day of gym class, the coaches laid out the outfits that we'd have to wear from then on.  By this point, I looked at the clock and noticed there was still a lot of time left before we beginning of the next class.  Plenty of time to accommodate the dreaded shower session. I figured this was the moment when my greatest fear was about to be realized and braced for it.  As predicted, the coaches wrapped up the first class and then commented on showering.  Much to my RELIEF... they said it was optional and not mandatory.  Bruh, you could almost feel the tension from the other kids release all at once. 

It's only in hindsight, after discovering naturism and coming more to terms with nudity, that I look back and wish I had a somewhat different childhood experience.  But even then, I firmly believe that social nudity is best when you're introduced to it at a very early age. I observed this cultural behavior in some of the nordic countries and I believe South Korea is pretty good about this as well.  In certain places, like a shower or sauna, it's more or less expected in many parts of those respective countries.  This introduces people to nudity at a very young age, which in turn makes them realize that it's no big deal, which gives them a fairly healthy and grounded perspective of the human body, which allows them to grow up without the same anxiety and or sexual associations with it that many millions (billions) of people do! 

It's an interesting topic, fo' sho'.

Kind of the same with me and I’ve mentioned in other posts how much a smell was going around all damn day because we didn’t shower. It was a fucking disgrace that we felt such ways and our teachers allowed it just to appease the think of the children mentality. Yeah they weren’t thinking if the children sweating and stinking and piss poor hygiene

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Free ballin'!
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2022, 04:46:42 pm »

Kind of the same with me and I’ve mentioned in other posts how much a smell was going around all damn day because we didn’t shower. It was a fucking disgrace that we felt such ways and our teachers allowed it just to appease the think of the children mentality. Yeah they weren’t thinking if the children sweating and stinking and piss poor hygiene

I'm not sure how things are in the UK, but over here, you'd run into serious litigation issues should you force somebodies child... let alone everyones child... to strip naked while at school.   Outside of incredibly wealthy private schools, most do not have the resources to handle that kinda thing. 

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2022, 08:07:58 pm »

I'm not sure how things are in the UK, but over here, you'd run into serious litigation issues should you force somebodies child... let alone everyones child... to strip naked while at school.   Outside of incredibly wealthy private schools, most do not have the resources to handle that kinda thing.

Yeah that’s the same but it’s utter bull shit for the sake of personal hygiene. In my last few years they even refurbished one of the changing rooms so there were stalls instead of a single communal space but still nobody enforced showers. Even after sliding around in the mud